Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2009, 11:34 AM

43 posts, read 53,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanAnomie View Post
Boricuita--does that handle mean you have ties to P.R.?

Americans also cherish personal responsibility and mutual respect. This isn't a liberal/libertarian anarchy (yet).

My question is, why don't Central Americans take their work ethic and spirit and political awareness and use it to reform/transform their native countries? Why are they so civically disengaged and apathetic to the point of hostility towards those that work for community unity and involvement? I've seen it time and again, particularly with the "La Raza" crowd. Why do you wave your Central American flags and bash the U.S. and then you let your countries go to ruin (and blame us for it in the process)? I just can't understand it.
Flag waving in the united states is not unique to latin-americans, it denotes pride of their ancestry, not to their ancestral government, examples are our french, italian, spanish, greek, russian, asian-americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2009, 11:36 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,060,745 times
Quote:
I just can't understand it.
That's partly because of your one-sided experience of the issue. Go live there, and find out how the US is involved in the corruption SOB, and meet some actual people who are trying to affect change. What makes you think that people SOB are apathetic? I find Americans to be largely apathetic to politics (except for this last year).

I think all of this "illegal alien" banter is a lame rouse for anti-SOB racism. After all, "Illegal immigrants make up about 4 percent of the U.S. population." Number of Illegal Immigrants to U.S. Is Down, Report Finds - washingtonpost.com

By the way, La Raza is a group founded in the USA, and is no way representative of Mexican beliefs at-large.

Old 01-28-2009, 11:58 AM

3,162 posts, read 11,448,513 times
Quote:
Which parts of Mexico do you recommend? I have family that lived in Mexico City in the 1970s and they had a love-hate relationship with Mexico. They loved Oaxaca, the indian culture, the bohemian artistic colonies, etc. They hated the corruption and vice and culture of machismo.
Well, depending on what are you looking for, tourism, sightseeing, work, retiring?

if it was for work I'd recommend cities like San Luis, Monterrey, Queretaro, Guadalajara, Mexico city, Saltillo, Monclovia, Chihuahua, etc.

for tourism you could go to Oaxaca, Chiapas, San Luis Potosí, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Baja California, Jalisco, Estado de México, and a long etc.

Quote:
So are you an American expat, a bi-national Mexican-American / American-Mexican, or what? How do you make it around there--do you have enough status / cash flow to be reasonably secure and happy?
I'm a Mexican citizen, born and raised in this country, strictly middle class, I just work and enjoy life.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:01 PM

Quote:
I have family that lived in Mexico City in the 1970s and they had a love-hate relationship with Mexico.
Hardly qualifies you as an expert on Mexican culture...

Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well, depending on what are you looking for, tourism, sightseeing, work, retiring?

if it was for work I'd recommend cities like San Luis, Monterrey, Queretaro, Guadalajara, Mexico city, Saltillo, Monclovia, Chihuahua, etc.

for tourism you could go to Oaxaca, Chiapas, San Luis Potosí, Yucatan, Quintana Roo, Baja California, Jalisco, Estado de México, and a long etc.

I'm a Mexican citizen, born and raised in this country, strictly middle class, I just work and enjoy life.
Hysterical!!! I love how AmericanAnomie assumes that you're in the States. Is that because Mexicans can't speak good English? <sarcasm and incorrect grammer intentional>

People would be surprised how many of our friends SOB are posting on these forums. Of course, as ethnocentric Americans, they don't even notice! Since Mexicans are supposed to be so ignorant, it doesn't even occur to them that they'd be posting from Mexico - do they even have computer literate people down there???!!!

I wonder, how many US born caucasians do you run into on Spanish-speaking political forums? For that matter, how many speak Spanish when they TRAVEL there - besides the usual: gracias, guacamole, margarita, bano, etc... Could they hold a conversation at the level of this thread?

Old 01-28-2009, 12:11 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I think all of this "illegal alien" banter is a lame rouse for anti-SOB racism.

Some of it obviously is; much more of it is not. Just like "all this terrorism banter" is partly a chance to 'bad-mouth Muslims'.....while much of it is not.

Both terrorism and massive illegal immigration are REAL problems....who gets 'bad-mouthed' along the way is a separate issue. You've occasionally done it yourself, I notice. (as in your observations of the typical 'neanderthal' American tourist)....sounds almost like you're 'bad-mouthing' them....unless I'm mistaken.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Some of it obviously is; much more of it is not. Just like "all this terrorism banter" is partly a chance to 'bad-mouth Muslims'.....while much of it is not.

Both terrorism and massive illegal immigration are REAL problems....who gets 'bad-mouthed' along the way is a separate issue.
Migrant workers and terrorists, hmmm. Don't see the correlation.

I'd rather have people pick my strawberries for sub-human pay rather than fly an airplane into our financial center any day!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

68 posts, read 147,263 times
Default Ouch.

Quote:
That's partly because of your one-sided experience of the issue. Go live there, and find out how the US is involved in the corruption SOB, and meet some actual people who are trying to affect change.
Go live where? Mexico? My Spanish is not so good and I'm broke and I can't afford to travel anymore (much less relocate) and I don't have any connections there. I don't think that's a very good proposition at this point. I think you must have an income at least two or three brackets above mine or else you wouldn't be saying mocking things like this.

I certainly don't doubt you about the role of U.S. corruption down there. If you have links or anecdotal evidence of this, it would be welcomed by many of us.

As far as people trying to effect positive change in Central America, I know. For instance, in E.S. there are hard working community activists and social workers valiantly trying to save kids from violent street gangs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqqYJjI2EjM

(Can't afford to travel, except from my home office / library.)

Quote:
What makes you think that people SOB are apathetic? I find Americans to be largely apathetic to politics (except for this last year).
I guess I didn't make it very clear but I was referring to the largely working-class Central American immigrant population in my neighborhood. A lot of the more politically/civically active ones left (middle-class flight). Many will get involved with a latino church group or latino solidarity group well before they'd consider attending a neighborhood association meeting where we discuss neighbor relations, resident safety, crime/policing, etc. And only part of it is language because the civic group used to do full English-Spanish translation. But you have to realize that this is the mid-Atlantic, not SoCal or New Mexico. We are still not used to this new reality; this rapid demographic shift has been stressful for many of us.

Quote:
I think all of this "illegal alien" banter is a lame rouse for anti-SOB racism. After all, "Illegal immigrants make up about 4 percent of the U.S. population." Number of Illegal Immigrants to U.S. Is Down, Report Finds - washingtonpost.com
Rouse or ruse? Thank you for calling me a racist. Have a nice day.

Quote:
By the way, La Raza is a group founded in the USA, and is no way representative of Mexican beliefs at-large.
That's comforting, at least. That is very similar to the argument that MS-13 is a Made-in-the-U.S.A. entity, even though many of its Salvadoran national members started using the machete dismemberment tactics in their country and radicalized it into the quasi-terror group it is today. And yes, I know how U.S. law enforcement deportation practices contributed to this concentration of violent offenders in E.S.

Just because I've never lived in Mexico doesn't mean I'm 100% clueless. The D.C. metro area is a very cosmopolitan/international area full of diplomats, emigres, and many others.

Please refrain from condescending to me in your future posts. I have enough condescending people I have to deal with face to face.

Old 01-28-2009, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post

Both terrorism and massive illegal immigration are REAL problems....who gets 'bad-mouthed' along the way is a separate issue. You've occasionally done it yourself, I notice. (as in your observations of the typical 'neanderthal' American tourist)....sounds almost like you're 'bad-mouthing' them....unless I'm mistaken.
I bad mouthed the behavior, not the nationality... I'm American, and I've been disgusted by the "typical American tourist" I describe. They ruin it for the rest of us!

Old 01-28-2009, 12:19 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,575,961 times
Quote:
I bad mouthed the behavior, not the nationality... I'm American, and I've been disgusted by the "typical American tourist" I describe. They ruin it for the rest of us!
I agree...I've seen some VERY bad apples of the American variety in SEVERAL countries. Whether they represent the majority, I couldn't say. But they don't represent me.....(nor, apparently, you).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration