Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2007, 12:27 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,103,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
With all due respect, I find it a stretch to draw any parallels between people of Latin descent and Islamic terrorists.

But, eaglecall, your post hints at an "us" and "them" mentality that makes it sound as though all persons of Latin descent are of one mind, as though all Latins agree and disagree in unison. This isn't the case. Just because someone happens to be of Latin descent doesn't make him or her automatically responsible to explain, support or denounce anything. In the same way that I as a Caucasian don't feel any compulsion to explain the actions of other Caucasians. Shared race or ethnic or national background doesn't mean automatic agreement and harmony. People are people, and we are all individuals.
Yes, that's exactly what I was about to post!! Did you know that most serial killers are Caucasian males? So I guess all White men need to "stand up" against serial murder, and say they don't tolerate it... get our point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 12:33 AM

30,438 posts, read 52,103,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oopsie2003 View Post
tell you what-why dont we just ban All races exept our h so wonderful white race?" would that make you happy? hispanic,mexicans,puertoricans come here because where they is deplorable. maybe,just maybe we should watch immigration a little more closely but i can guarantee if you lived in one of those places,you'd do almost anything to get out....plus they usually have BOTH languages on signs and labels. This sounds mean, but maybe you should think before you speak
You're absolutely right, but some people just can't see it that way. I've been to Mexico (almost every part), Costa Rica & Guatemala, and saw what a REAL slum looks like. Think the Compton projects are bad? Try living in a 1-room shanty made of tin & dung for a while. And you're also right about the languages, since I didn't have any trouble finding English signs, menus, speakers, etc. in those countries. And Europe is even more multi-lingual, often having signs in 3+ languages... I went to Belgium once, and saw/heard Flemish, French, German, Dutch, English, and a few others in-between. One local told me there's a different official language on every block, LOL.

Old 04-09-2007, 05:51 AM

34,263 posts, read 20,591,311 times
On the flip side, I was born and raised in SE Los Angeles and in 1983, it was already primarily hispanic/latino. And when I walked to the store, a little mom and pop store, all the signs were in spanish and when I paid for my items, the owner could not tell me how much I owed in english.

But the primary point is I never started hating hispanics. The hatred just wasn't there. Sure I believe if I were to move to France, for example, I would try and learn the language. That is just common sense.

And I also believe the US needs to get a handle on the border crossings. That is also just plain common sense.

Some of the CD-Forum posts are extremenly agitated by the influx of our spanish speaking neighbors from the south are merely using their american patriotism to cloak a racist rant.

"Illegals" are no different than any european who came here in the 17 - 19th century looking for a better way of life. Except the modern illegals do not have the prestigious statue of liberty at their disposal. Just the same determination to seek a better life.

The demographics of Mexico back in 1970's-80's were known (that the vast majority of the Mexican population would reach child bearing years in 2000 or so), and the present overwhelming surge was predicted! Its not like our govt. just woke up one day and said "Ai Carumba!" The FEDs dragged their feet on this one big time.

I am also fully informed of the criminal element that is coming in with the tide. After all, I work in prison. The rants are valid if worded in a logical way and not against all hispanics and "ruining our country" slant is used.

I live, work and worship side by side with all human beings and leave the hating for the haters. Good luck finding your oasis.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:12 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,097,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I've been to Mexico (almost every part), Costa Rica & Guatemala, and saw what a REAL slum looks like. Think the Compton projects are bad? Try living in a 1-room shanty made of tin & dung for a while....
Very true. In fact, though we may think of the immigrants crossing into the U.S. from Mexico as "poor," they are not the poorest of the poor. The ones coming to the U.S. have resources to make the journey. Those who live in the slums that you, gizmo980, write about have no chance of undertaking an emigration trek, legal or not.

As a point of fact, the percentage of any population that emigrates to another country is low, less than 2 percent. Most people DO NOT want to go to another country. It's human nature to stay in the comfort zone of the familiar, even when conditions are very bad. Just an aside to think about.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:23 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,699,209 times
"Illegals" are no different than any european who came here in the 17 - 19th century looking for a better way of life. Except the modern illegals do not have the prestigious statue of liberty at their disposal. Just the same determination to seek a better life.

Except when my family came, they were shut out, forced to live in the streets or in a box, kept from jobs, and heaven forbid they needed medical care, they were left to die in the streets, spit on, beat, jailed. Yet my family helped build railroads in the country, fought in wars for the country, gave up their old country, assimulated quickly and NEVER asked for anything, nor received any help. Todays illegals on the other hand are catered to in this country, given jobs, allowed to protest when they dont get their way, no need to assimulate we will just switch languages for them, and get all the free services they need. Hum, see lot of differences there.

Old 04-09-2007, 09:44 AM

2,916 posts, read 11,097,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
...when my family came, they were shut out, forced to live in the streets or in a box, kept from jobs, and heaven forbid they needed medical care, they were left to die in the streets, spit on, beat, jailed. Yet my family helped build railroads in the country, fought in wars for the country, gave up their old country, assimulated quickly and NEVER asked for anything, nor received any help.
I will submit that this is still the case for many of to today's immigrants. (A big chunk of the military is Latin, kids from poor economic circumstances who find opportunity in carrying Uncle Sam's M-16 instead of books. But I digress, that's another subject.)

What is the larger point, Nea1? My sympathies to your family who was treated so badly (we all have our immigrant story). Are you suggesting that we should perpetuate this "man's inhumanity to man" upon today's immigrants? What ever happened to the Golden Rule?

Old 04-09-2007, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I will submit that this is still the case for many of to today's immigrants. (A big chunk of the military is Latin, kids from poor economic circumstances who find opportunity in carrying Uncle Sam's M-16 instead of books. But I digress, that's another subject.)

What is the larger point, Nea1? My sympathies to your family who was treated so badly (we all have our immigrant story). Are you suggesting that we should perpetuate this "man's inhumanity to man" upon today's immigrants? What ever happened to the Golden Rule?
What I am saying, is not to compare todays illegals situations here in the US to those that happened over a hundred - two hundred years ago. There is no comparison. Most of the illegals I have come into contact with, in my profession, have No interest in doing it the legal way, but they do want to be able to become citizens without any problems. Hence, no fines, no waiting period no going home first, no background check, still want the free services, no learning english. And many also, have No interest in becoming citizens, but want to be allowed to stay and work as they have been. And even more have told me they were not poor back home, had jobs and food, but wanted a cushy retirement in Mexico. And all so far have told me they hate americans. Thats what burns me up!!!!!!! I have NO Problem with them wanting to come here legally, but they have no right to come here illegally,call us the bad guys and demand things. And if there are illegals in our military ( how I dont know) fighting for our country, then they should be allowed citizenship with no question.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:09 AM

1,921 posts, read 5,630,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I speak Spanish pretty well, but the neighborhood where I work now is mostly Chinese... and so far, it's been fairly easy communicating with them. Only a few patrons have completely not understood me, and then I just call a co-worker who does speak the language (either in our library, or another one in the city). Nobody is saying you HAVE to learn anything, and you're never going to be forced to communicate with someone... if they can't understand, you just walk away and let them find a translator. It only becomes your problem if you make it so.
It may be easy for you to communicate, but some folks are less gifted, in this area than others, (allow me to be the first to raise my hand). I'm simply saying that folks should not feel as those they must learn another language, because things are changing so much in their own community, when, by tradition, their own language is the one that has been spoken, primarily. Take it from another stance. If you were Italian, and spoke only the Italian language, would you appreciate feeling as though you were being forced to learn another language, (say, English, for example), just to communicate in your own community, that has been, by tradition, Italian? And, what if you can't find a translator? What if you don't want to walk away, feeling as though you were being rude? It becomes a problem for both sides, if the other person doesn't know your language, either. Yes, you can find a way to communicate, perhaps by using gestures, and whatever broken bits of the other language that you may possibly know, but it is not efficient. I remember when I made a trip a number of years ago, to Italy, with my daughter. It was a quick trip, based on her modeling. Obviously, we didn't have time to learn Italian, and not everyone in Italy knows English, and it wasn't fun to try to go into a store and buy things, I can tell you. I'm sure we looked like complete idiots! However, at least it was in their country, and I could understand the situation. They are not under any obligation to learn English, just because English-speaking folks come to their country. And, so it should be here, in our country. Because English is the primary, traditional language spoken here, at least in the public arena, we should not feel obligated to learn other languages. That is not to say that it would be a bad thing; merely, that we should not be forced into it, by changing circumstances. I would like to learn Spanish, better than what I know, and maybe some day, I'll get enough time and ambition to do just that, although the skill will always be lacking! I'm actually very envious of my Puerto Rican son-in-law, because he grew up in a bi-lingual household. Unfortunately, we don't all get that same opportunity. But, I certainly don't want to feel as though I have to learn it.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM

1,247 posts, read 930,273 times
Here's a link to a country with a good immigration policy.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

The more I read about this, the more I consider going there, myself.

Old 04-09-2007, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavingFlorida05 View Post
Here's a link to a country with a good immigration policy.

http://www.immi.gov.au/

The more I read about this, the more I consider going there, myself.
Yes, I agree, why is it easy for some countries to act on this, but our country is so lame about it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration