Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 01:24 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,573,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Because you guys continually bash others. The US is the largest economy in world with the largest influence. I've stated that the Western world is ripe of exploitation. This is a fact. It's not pretty, but it's true. I've bashed America. I've stated that there are problems and I don't want to blindly believe that everything is okay. I want to make a BETTER America. An America that is globally aware and environmentally aware, yet still competitive.

That's what I don't understand, why are people that critique America somehow un-American? Why is it that when people say that "Hey, we have done some wrong things, we should try to work through this" they get labeled as unpatriotic or hating? I just don't want to blindly say that America is perfect...it's not. We should strive for better.
I don’t recall anyone stating that the U.S. is a perfect nation. However, allowing our country to be overrun by millions of foreign nationals will certainly NOT improve it. It’s rather annoying for an immigrant to convey such utter disdain toward a country they have “chosen” as their home. Apparently, you are included among the ranks of those who are only here for personal gain.

There is nothing you can say that will convince me, that unless we grant amnesty to millions of ingrate illegal aliens, we are not a “decent” nation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 01:31 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
That's what I don't understand, why are people that critique America somehow un-American? .
Probably for the same reason that people alarmed about 20 million illegals living in their midst are ornery, uncaring, xenophobic, bigoted racists. What do you think?...

Old 06-06-2009, 02:04 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,480,637 times
Quote:
Why is it SO wrong to say that maybe we should consider better treatment of the third world? That's pretty much all I'm saying. I'm not advocating we live in mud huts, but simply acknowledge that we to take advantage economically of poor nations...hence why they are poor.

IMO I just don't think people bashing other cultures is right. That's all.
So that's why they are poor! Now it is all becoming very clear. The fact that a country refuses an education to half of it's population (women), engages in all sorts of long running, bloody internecine feuds or has corruption as a way of life has nothing to do with it. Their poverty is all our fault.

Old 06-06-2009, 03:13 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,564,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
So that's why they are poor! Now it is all becoming very clear. The fact that a country refuses an education to half of it's population (women), engages in all sorts of long running, bloody internecine feuds or has corruption as a way of life has nothing to do with it. Their poverty is all our fault.
All that you cite is beside the point, is the result of outside forces, or can be otherwise explained....and in the end, apparently, yes, their poverty is indeed, our fault. (At least, that's what I get out of all this)..

Besides, remember, "we do all that stuff, TOO"...

Old 06-06-2009, 03:33 PM

709 posts, read 1,768,225 times
So it is the U.S 's fault that alot of women in 3rd world countries have 7 kids by the time they are 21, LOL.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:07 PM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John McClane View Post
So it is the U.S 's fault that alot of women in 3rd world countries have 7 kids by the time they are 21, LOL.
For a very long time the back a$$wards Mexican culture prompted people to have as many kids as possible. It was basically their retirement plan. The more kids working, the more taking care of Gramps. While this made sense when these farmers had actual farms it didn't make sense in other types of jobs like working in a factory.

In the US people want a better life for their children. In many Countries the kids are the 401K. When these migrants come to the US they see Social Services as the new retirement plan as they don't care who is paying for it so long as they are being taken care of.

Old 06-06-2009, 04:11 PM

50,356 posts, read 47,109,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
I don’t recall anyone stating that the U.S. is a perfect nation. However, allowing our country to be overrun by millions of foreign nationals will certainly NOT improve it. It’s rather annoying for an immigrant to convey such utter disdain toward a country they have “chosen” as their home. Apparently, you are included among the ranks of those who are only here for personal gain.

There is nothing you can say that will convince me, that unless we grant amnesty to millions of ingrate illegal aliens, we are not a “decent” nation.
Did anyone think what these chain amnesties would do to our Country after a hundred years? It's a recipe for a Soviet Union imo.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:22 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,910,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post

I was born an American citizen.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
For a very long time the back a$$wards Mexican culture prompted people to have as many kids as possible. It was basically their retirement plan. The more kids working, the more taking care of Gramps. While this made sense when these farmers had actual farms it didn't make sense in other types of jobs like working in a factory.

In the US people want a better life for their children. In many Countries the kids are the 401K. When these migrants come to the US they see Social Services as the new retirement plan as they don't care who is paying for it so long as they are being taken care of.
It's not just that simple...but that is a consideration.

Old 06-06-2009, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Every third world nation is like that? Didn't know that. Also that is a large reason as well. Colonialism and neocolonialism is a HUGE factor in the current economic disparity between nations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration