Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2009, 12:14 PM

439 posts, read 618,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
You're right. There is no such thing as paranoia. Spring Valley is a hellhole ghetto. Diamond Bar is completely homogenous. Europeans did not do an iota of wrong things in Africa. Blacks in America did not have ANY help whatsoever. Saudis love Americans and other expatriates. The third world is comprised of all lazy people who can't think. Everything is economically fair and personal choices dictate every facet of everyone. That's the story, right? This is reality...correct?
Like we don't have lazy Americans in this country? Look our welfare system full of lazy Americans not working. This country is rotted from inside and nothing well help it. Go ahead and blame Illegals for all the problems must next time look at the mirror and you will the real problem with America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2009, 12:16 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,608,222 times
Quote:
Why is it SO wrong to say that maybe we should consider better treatment of the third world? That's pretty much all I'm saying. I'm not advocating we live in mud huts, but simply acknowledge that we to take advantage economically of poor nations...hence why they are poor.

IMO I just don't think people bashing other cultures is right. That's all.
If that’s the case, why do you continually bash ours? Why are we the ogres of the world? Why is the U.S. solely responsible for all that is wrong in this world? You keep saying there is no superior culture. If there is no superior culture, then there is also no inferior culture. However, every chance you get, you demonize this country, and its culture. I really don’t understand why you would want to live here.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:19 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,608,222 times
Quote:
You're right. There is no such thing as paranoia. Spring Valley is a hellhole ghetto. Diamond Bar is completely homogenous. Europeans did not do an iota of wrong things in Africa. Blacks in America did not have ANY help whatsoever. Saudis love Americans and other expatriates. The third world is comprised of all lazy people who can't think. Everything is economically fair and personal choices dictate every facet of everyone. That's the story, right? This is reality...correct?
How is the bolded section relevant? These "Blacks" you reference, are citizens of this country, not illegal aliens.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:22 PM

3,533 posts, read 5,921,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
If that’s the case, why do you continually bash ours? Why are we the ogres of the world? Why is the U.S. solely responsible for all that is wrong in this world? You keep saying there is no superior culture. If there is no superior culture, then there is also no inferior culture. However, every chance you get, you demonize this country, and its culture. I really don’t understand why you would want to live here.
Because you guys continually bash others. The US is the largest economy in world with the largest influence. I've stated that the Western world is ripe of exploitation. This is a fact. It's not pretty, but it's true. I've bashed America. I've stated that there are problems and I don't want to blindly believe that everything is okay. I want to make a BETTER America. An America that is globally aware and environmentally aware, yet still competitive.

That's what I don't understand, why are people that critique America somehow un-American? Why is it that when people say that "Hey, we have done some wrong things, we should try to work through this" they get labeled as unpatriotic or hating? I just don't want to blindly say that America is perfect...it's not. We should strive for better.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
How is the bolded section relevant? These "Blacks" you reference, are citizens of this country, not illegal aliens.
Refer back to the quotation...it was in context to what Macmeal said. Now it is out of context. If you had read the original post, you would understand.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:42 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,228,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Order View Post
Like we don't have lazy Americans in this country? Look our welfare system full of lazy Americans not working. This country is rotted from inside and nothing well help it. Go ahead and blame Illegals for all the problems must next time look at the mirror and you will the real problem with America.
What is your point?

If discussing a country that is essentially rotten to the core: Mexico is a textbook example---------------not the USA.

Besides; if you feel that my nation is that bad; I suggest you find another one to move to.

Old 06-06-2009, 12:52 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,491,789 times
Quote:
Because you guys continually bash others. The US is the largest economy in world with the largest influence. I've stated that the Western world is ripe of exploitation. This is a fact. It's not pretty, but it's true. I've bashed America. I've stated that there are problems and I don't want to blindly believe that everything is okay. I want to make a BETTER America. An America that is globally aware and environmentally aware, yet still competitive.

That's what I don't understand, why are people that critique America somehow un-American? Why is it that when people say that "Hey, we have done some wrong things, we should try to work through this" they get labeled as unpatriotic or hating? I just don't want to blindly say that America is perfect...it's not. We should strive for better.
Why is the Western world, those exploiters of impoverished Third World people everywhere, developing a malaria vaccine? There's no malaria in the developed world.

Why is Glaxo Smith Kline developing this vaccine? It is not going to benefit us. Why are we doing this if we are as globally unaware as you claim? In spite of your vast stores of knowledge on all subjects, you may not be aware that GSK is not going to make alot of money off this. You see, a blockbuster drug is a drug that needs to be taken on a regular basis over a long period of time, not a drug that is given one time like a vaccine. The countries that need it the most probably wouldn't have the money to pay for it anyhow, and will either be given the drug free or charged some token amount.

Malaria Vaccine Tested in African Clinical Trial

Malaria Vaccine Tested in African Clinical Trial - WSJ.com

We have also agreed to have 50 children who were burned in the daycare center fire in Mexico yesterday transported to the US for care. We will probably be getting the most serious cases, I assume the ones who can be cared for in Mexico will be treated there. Put the US bashing on 'Pause' for a moment and read this:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/illeg...ed-states.html

Old 06-06-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
Why is the Western world, those exploiters of impoverished Third World people everywhere, developing a malaria vaccine? There's no malaria in the developed world.

Why is Glaxo Smith Kline developing this vaccine? It is not going to benefit us. Why are we doing this if we are as globally unaware as you claim? In spite of your vast stores of knowledge on all subjects, you may not be aware that GSK is not going to make alot of money off this. You see, a blockbuster drug is a drug that needs to be taken on a regular basis over a long period of time, not a drug that is given one time like a vaccine. The countries that need it the most probably wouldn't have the money to pay for it anyhow, and will either be given the drug free or charged some token amount.

Malaria Vaccine Tested in African Clinical Trial

Malaria Vaccine Tested in African Clinical Trial - WSJ.com
Are you seriously trying to say that there is no exploitation?

Yeah I agree that this is good. However, why is it when SA and other African countries wanted to develop generic AIDS medications American and European drug companies claimed that it was a violation of intellectual rights.

Sorry but, there is exploitation out there.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:11 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,491,789 times
Quote:
Are you seriously trying to say that there is no exploitation?

Yeah I agree that this is good. However, why is it when SA and other African countries wanted to develop generic AIDS medications American and European drug companies claimed that it was a violation of intellectual rights.

Sorry but, there is exploitation out there.
Where did I say there is 'no exploitation'. Show me the direct quote. If it were not for medications and public health advances in the developed world that were then transferred to the Third World, I can guarantee you the Third World population would be whole lot lower than what it is today. Where do you think the research was done to develop the AIDS medications in the first place? Do you understand that prior to 1900 the toll from disease was so high that cities were unable to maintain their population numbers without a continual influx of newcomers? Who do you think is responsible for wiping out smallpox, one of the greatest killers of all time. An outbreak of cholera is a rare thing today, in the past it could wipe out entire communities. If there are cases of a Ebola in a village in Africa, the CDC is on the way to help contain it and all we ever get is criticism, all you can think of is how we exploit Third World countries.

Old 06-06-2009, 01:23 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,588,850 times
People buy stuff from each other, and they pay LESS for it than what they think it's worth; if that were not so, they wouldn't buy it. People hire other people to do work. They PAY these people less than the value of the work is to the employer...if this were not so, no one would ever hire anybody. If I'm paying you $10 per hour, it's because your labor is worth $12 an hour to my business. If I'm paying you $25 for a sack of sugar, it's because I can turn it into $30 in my business. In either case, I'm exploiting someone, and he's OK with my doing so. If not, he'd reject my offer.

People exploit each other. Employers exploit employees; customers exploit businesses, and businesses exploit customers.

People in developed countries buy materials from undeveloped countries. They pay the lowest price possible. Employers IN those undeveloped countries exploit their workers. Those workers are SOMEWHAT free to accept, or reject, their employers' offers. If they're coerced into working, that is a condition endemic in their own local society.

There's terrible human rights violations, ethnic hatred, violence, and suffocating social strictures in MANY nations. There's the 'caste system', there's exploitation, there's tribe-on-tribe brutality, and there's abuse of women and children. There's also wholesale rape of the environment.

SOME of the above is the fault of the people of the USA; MOST of it is not.....and MOST of the efforts to 'right' these situations emanate in one way or another from the Western World..either from Westerners themselves, or their religious missionaries and aid workers...OR from natives of those countries, trained in the West who've gone home to help.....and MUCH of the 'help' also originates from local people who no longer LIVE there at all...they conduct their 'help' from Western nations, where they're free to comment and criticize without getting their heads chopped off.

Mankind exploits his fellow man. Here in the West, we do less of it than elsewhere....and here, we at least seek to ATONE for it (see the 'guilt' page).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration