Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 02:20 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,856,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Readers overwhelmingly oppose a bill that would provide students who are in the country illegally a pathway to residency among other rights that are now granted to resident students.

More than 75 percent of readers responding said no to the following question: "Do you think college students who are in the country illegally should be given a path to residency, protected from deportation and eligible for student loans and federal work study programs?, according to an Orange County Register poll.

Only 21 percent of 1,631 respondents said they supported the idea, which is part of the DREAM Act, or Development, Relief and Education for Minor Aliens.

About 1 percent said they didn't know how they felt about the measure.
78 percent of readers say no to illegal immigrant students act | readers, act, students, college, most - News - OCRegister.com

Considering that the majority of the OC Register's readers are Californians, I'm quite shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 02:25 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times
This comment really struck me:

Here is an example of why hiring illegal aliens is not economically productive for the State of California ...

You have 2 families..."Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal". Both families have 2 parents, 2 children and live in California.

"Joe Legal" works in construction, has a Social Security Number, and makes $25.00 per hour with payroll taxes deducted....

"Jose Illegal" also works in construction, has "NO" Social Security Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Joe Legal...$25.00 per hour x 40 hours $1000.00 per week,$52,000 per year Now take 30% away for state federal tax, Joe Legal now has $31,231.00

Jose Illegal...$15.00 per hour x 40 hours $600.00 per week, $31,200.00 per year Jose Illegal pays no taxes...Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00

Joe Legal pays Medical and Dental Insurance with limited coverage $1000.00 per month $12,000.00 per year, Joe Legal now has $19,231.00

Jose Illegal has full Medical and Dental coverage through the state and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00

Joe Legal makes too much money is not eligible for Food Stamps or welfare Joe Legal pays for food $1,000.00 per month $12,000.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $ 7,231.00

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for Food Stamps and Welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,000.00 per month… $12,000.00 per year. Joe Legal is now in the hole minus (-) $4,769.00

Jose Illegal receives a $500 per month Federal rent subsidy Jose Illegal pays rent $500.00 per month, $6,000.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $25,200.00

Joe Legal now works overtime on Saturdays or gets a part time job after work.

Jose Illegal has nights and weekends off to enjoy with his family.

Joe Legal's and Jose Illegal's children both attend
the same school. Joe Legal pays for his children's unches while Jose Illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch. Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program.

Joe Legal's children go home.

Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same Police and Fire Services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:40 PM

804 posts, read 1,363,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

Here is an example of why hiring illegal aliens is not economically productive for the State of California ...

You have 2 families..."Joe Legal" and "Jose Illegal". Both families have 2 parents, 2 children and live in California.

"Joe Legal" works in construction, has a Social Security Number, and makes $25.00 per hour with payroll taxes deducted....

"Jose Illegal" also works in construction, has "NO" Social Security Number, and gets paid $15.00 cash "under the table".

Joe Legal...$25.00 per hour x 40 hours $1000.00 per week,$52,000 per year Now take 30% away for state federal tax, Joe Legal now has $31,231.00

Jose Illegal...$15.00 per hour x 40 hours $600.00 per week, $31,200.00 per year Jose Illegal pays no taxes...Jose Illegal now has $31,200.00

Joe Legal pays Medical and Dental Insurance with limited coverage $1000.00 per month $12,000.00 per year, Joe Legal now has $19,231.00

Jose Illegal has full Medical and Dental coverage through the state and local clinics at a cost of $0.00 per year Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00

Joe Legal makes too much money is not eligible for Food Stamps or welfare Joe Legal pays for food $1,000.00 per month $12,000.00 per year. Joe Legal now has $ 7,231.00

Jose Illegal has no documented income and is eligible for Food Stamps and Welfare. Jose Illegal still has $31,200.00.

Joe Legal pays rent of $1,000.00 per month… $12,000.00 per year. Joe Legal is now in the hole minus (-) $4,769.00

Jose Illegal receives a $500 per month Federal rent subsidy Jose Illegal pays rent $500.00 per month, $6,000.00 per year. Jose Illegal still has $25,200.00

the same school. Joe Legal pays for his children's unches while Jose Illegal's children get a government sponsored lunch. Jose Illegal's children have an after school ESL program.

Joe Legal and Jose Illegal both enjoy the same Police and Fire Services, but Joe paid for them and Jose did not pay.
Aside from the ridiculous costs that you assign (i.e. 30% income tax...I made over 90K and did not get to pay 30% after deductions and I'm single with no kids; 1K health insurance per month? my girlfriend is diabetic and her insurance is $390, my work insurance was somewhere aroung 90/month myself 150/family; 1K for food a month? I bet he's not buying the same food as Jose with those food stamps) theni f you are looking at the numbers alone, it's fare to make Jose ilegal "legal" so he has the same costs.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,602,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Aside from the ridiculous costs that you assign (i.e. 30% income tax...I made over 90K and did not get to pay 30% after deductions and I'm single with no kids; 1K health insurance per month? my girlfriend is diabetic and her insurance is $390, my work insurance was somewhere aroung 90/month myself 150/family; 1K for food a month? I bet he's not buying the same food as Jose with those food stamps) theni f you are looking at the numbers alone, it's fare to make Jose ilegal "legal" so he has the same costs.
No, it's fair to send Jose Illegal back home.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:47 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,693,070 times
Quote:
If you had read the article or my comment you would know that I simply cut and pasted a comment from the article.

As for some of your 'talking' points, I see you do not live in California as I do. My tax rate is around 25-27%, so it's completely believable. Health insurance is also believable. I have a buddy who has 3 kids and his employer offers 'bad' insurance. He pays $1300 a month for his families health insurance, so that's fairly common as well. Food wise, they let you buy basically anything but alcohol, cigarettes and 'non food' items on food stamps so yes, he could very well be purchasing the same amount for food.

I had a roommate who was an ex-felon and got paid $16 an hour under the table because he couldn't get a 'real' job. At the end of the month, even though I had a higher paying job, was educated and did everything legally he ended up with nearly $1000 more a month than me.

And no... no amnesty, no making 'Jose Illegal' legal. He broke the law once by entering the country, broke the law again for getting paid under the table (unreported income) and now you're going to reward him for it?

Old 06-19-2009, 02:51 PM

10,229 posts, read 16,340,984 times
Quote:

Very profound posting.

There is also the concern of jail space. Even here in Portland where I now live, whenever I look at newspaper mug shots most of them are illegals.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:54 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,602,400 times
Quote:
If you had read the article or my comment you would know that I simply cut and pasted a comment from the article.

As for some of your 'talking' points, I see you do not live in California as I do. My tax rate is around 25-27%, so it's completely believable. Health insurance is also believable. I have a buddy who has 3 kids and his employer offers 'bad' insurance. He pays $1300 a month for his families health insurance, so that's fairly common as well. Food wise, they let you buy basically anything but alcohol, cigarettes and 'non food' items on food stamps so yes, he could very well be purchasing the same amount for food.

I had a roommate who was an ex-felon and got paid $16 an hour under the table because he couldn't get a 'real' job. At the end of the month, even though I had a higher paying job, was educated and did everything legally he ended up with nearly $1000 more a month than me.

And no... no amnesty, no making 'Jose Illegal' legal. He broke the law once by entering the country, broke the law again for getting paid under the table (unreported income) and now you're going to reward him for it?
That's precisely what they would like to do -- reward lawlessness. Anyone with an ounce of sense realizes that would only create more incentive for others to enter this country illegally.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:55 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,489,961 times
Quote:
Aside from the ridiculous costs that you assign (i.e. 30% income tax...I made over 90K and did not get to pay 30% after deductions and I'm single with no kids;
I bet more than that on traffic lights, rube.

Quote:
1K health insurance per month? my girlfriend is diabetic and her insurance is $390, my work insurance was somewhere aroung 90/month myself 150/family;
One thousand per month for health insurance for family of 4 is not at all unreasonable.

Quote:
1K for food a month? I bet he's not buying the same food as Jose with those food stamps) theni f you are looking at the numbers alone, it's fare to make Jose ilegal "legal" so he has the same costs.
From my experience, a good sized teenage boy could eat $1000 a month in groceries by himself.

Old 06-19-2009, 02:58 PM

2,095 posts, read 2,587,344 times
Quote:
So you make Jose Illegal legal. Then what? His employer fires Jose Illegal because he is a legal citizen now. The employer hired an illegal in the first place so he could pay lower wages without getting in trouble. Now Jose Legal can't find a job because he lacks any education and will have to rely on the state even more.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:12 PM

804 posts, read 1,363,110 times
Quote:

Are you serious?

Those cost just seem outrageous. I lived in Texas, so no State income tax, my insurance was through my work so I paid 90 bucs a month for insurance, 45/paycheck, and 5 per dental, 3 per vision. Federal income taxes was around 20-25 top's after the income was reduced due to the allowances that you have. I guess I could spend $1000 in food if I eat out a lot, when I was wih my family we used to spend around $500-700 a month for a family of 5, with one teenager..., and well me, who likes to eat quite a bit.

Now that I live in Michigan my costs are even less... I don't get taxed on my income because it's paid through the school and it requires me to do research, my health insurance is fully paid for, and well my food costs are somewhere around 200/month.

And about the food, according to this website the average food stamp allowance is:
Quote:
What is the amount of food stamp benefits I will receive?

The amount of food stamp benefits a low-income person or family can receive is based on the U.S. Department of Agriculture's (USDA) Thrifty Food Plan. The plan estimates how much it costs to provide a household with nutritious, low-cost meals. The estimates are revised every year to keep pace with changes in food prices. The average amount of food stamp benefits received per household is about $200 per month.
Frequently Asked Questions

Anyways, about the rewarding them for breaking the law, if you say that the life of a U.S. taxpayer is so much harder than the one for an illegal alien, how would this be rewarding the illegal alien. There must be something missing in the articles analisis. Otherwise, why would illegal aliens want to get legalized if they are doing so well while illegal?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration