Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 03:15 PM

804 posts, read 1,359,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bostonian123 View Post
So you make Jose Illegal legal. Then what? His employer fires Jose Illegal because he is a legal citizen now. The employer hired an illegal in the first place so he could pay lower wages without getting in trouble. Now Jose Legal can't find a job because he lacks any education and will have to rely on the state even more.
Who is he going to hire if the illegals have been legalized and people can get in here legally?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:17 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,557,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andreabeth View Post
One thousand per month for health insurance for family of 4 is not at all unreasonable.
There are also many laid-off who are paying an arm and a leg for insurance under COBRA.

Quote:
From my experience, a good sized teenage boy could eat $1000 a month in groceries by himself.
How well I know. Add to that the insatiable appetites of friends, and we're up to a good $1500.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
There are also many laid-off who are paying an arm and a leg for insurance under COBRA.

How well I know. Add to that the insatiable appetites of friends, and we're up to a good $1500.
Yeah but food stamps only covers around 200 bucs a month, no matter how bad your appetite is.

Btw, I have been guilty of eating more than 1K a month as well. But It's not just teenagers, i had to limit my travels with friends from work, because we would usually spend 300-600 dollars per meal for a table of 3-4 people. But this has nothing to do with food stamps, they give you around 200 bucs a month as per that link I posted earlier.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,620,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Are you serious?

Those cost just seem outrageous. I lived in Texas, so no State income tax, my insurance was through my work so I paid 90 bucs a month for insurance, 45/paycheck, and 5 per dental, 3 per vision. Federal income taxes was around 20-25 top's after the income was reduced due to the allowances that you have. I guess I could spend $1000 in food if I eat out a lot, when I was wih my family we used to spend around $500-700 a month for a family of 5, with one teenager..., and well me, who likes to eat quite a bit.

Now that I live in Michigan my costs are even less... I don't get taxed on my income because it's paid through the school and it requires me to do research, my health insurance is fully paid for, and well my food costs are somewhere around 200/month.

And about the food, according to this website the average food stamp allowance is:

Frequently Asked Questions

Anyways, about the rewarding them for breaking the law, if you say that the life of a U.S. taxpayer is so much harder than the one for an illegal alien, how would this be rewarding the illegal alien. There must be something missing in the articles analisis. Otherwise, why would illegal aliens want to get legalized if they are doing so well while illegal?
Ah, you're one of the lucky ones. My health insurance is inexpensive now as well because it's paid through the employer, but 2 years ago when I was on COBRA it was $950 a month for just myself. No spouse, no children, living on my own at 23. Luckily, I found a grant program that helped with that. Even with my employers excellent insurance, the bare minimum to insure yourself and your spouse(no children) is $450 a month.

Regarding food, if you spend $200 a month just for yourself, quadruple that and you get $800 a month for a family of 4. Even more if they're growing children. My mom and dad spend nearing $300 a week on groceries for just them and my 16 year old brother. He eats like a horse because he's a baseball player .

For the food stamps, $200 is average. I have a friend who gets $24 a month because she recently got a big raise from work, but still qualified. On the other hand, the ex-felon I mentioned has zero reported income so he got a little over $215 a month. The lower your income, the more money you get. Unreported income obviously doesn't count.

California has HIGH taxes and a LOT of illegal immigrants. The reason it's harder for a taxpayer is that they're doing the same job (or even more difficult and higher paying) and doing it the right way, but they end up losing money at the end of the year. The illegal gets nearly everything for free and comes out with more money because all of his income is untaxed. Basically, it's not fair. It's not fair for me to work, and pay my taxes while someone else doens't have too.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:26 PM

3,712 posts, read 6,476,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Some of these folks would be real happy to be able to get insurance at that price.

Quote:
Isn't that the truth? A roving band of teenagers moving from house to house leaving empty refrigerators in their wake. My younger daughter's boyfriend and his friends are the ones who opened my eyes. I had no idea four teenage males could eat so much!

Last edited by andreabeth; 06-19-2009 at 04:16 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Some of these folks would be real happy to be able to get insurance at that price.

Isn't that the truth? A roving band of teenagers moving from house to house leaving empty refrigerators in their wake. My younger daughter's boyfriend and his friends are the ones who opened by eyes. I had no idea four teenage males could eat so much!

Hahaha... you just reminded me once when I was at my girlfriends apartment and she had to leave, so she said helped yourself to the food. So I went andate like I usually do.. to my surprise.. and I guess to her's.. I had eaten about a week's worth of her food.

And to the previous poster, if one person eats for 200, 4 people don't eat for 800, it's not linear like that, it cost much more to feed two persons in different location than a family of four that eat together. for example when I was with my family we would regularly shop at sam's, when I tried to do that onmy own, most of the food went to wast. if you buy a larger amount its much cheaper.

Old 06-19-2009, 08:48 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times
Yea, what else would you expect from an online right wing poll? This poll is not even a scientific poll to begin with.

Last edited by blacknight04; 06-19-2009 at 08:56 PM..

Old 06-19-2009, 08:56 PM

4,829 posts, read 7,746,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
78 percent of readers say no to illegal immigrant students act | readers, act, students, college, most - News - OCRegister.com

Considering that the majority of the OC Register's readers are Californians, I'm quite shocked.
Quote:
The Register is notable for its generally conservative/libertarian-leaning editorial page. It often supports Republican politicians and positions
The Orange County Register - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know it's wikipedia but you get the drift of what kind of readers they have.

Old 06-19-2009, 09:17 PM

1,213 posts, read 1,631,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
Who is he going to hire if the illegals have been legalized and people can get in here legally?
Are you serious? Why he'll hire that next wave of illegal Mexicans breaking in. What did you think he'd do?

Old 06-19-2009, 10:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,605,811 times
Kellem has a hand in the game. If Kellem isn't illegal, they are supporting them, profiting from them, or related to them. Even a blind man could see that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration