Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 01:22 PM

989 posts, read 5,934,022 times

Advertisements

I'm guilty of it- I once defended illegals. I labeled them with statements like, "good people," "friendly," "cultured," and "hard working." Honestly, I had accepted that poor immigrants were excellent workers. Today, I now consider that a false juxtaposition. Look at the facts. ....Why, why, oh WHY do so many people compliment illegal immigrants with.. "They're hard working."?

---------------------------------------------------------
Fact 1:
Asian households on average earn $20,000 more yearly than Hispanic households.

Asian median household income-$55k
White median household income-$48k
Hispanic median household income-$35k

(2005; infoplease.com)

Fact 2:

Illegals make middle class Americans work harder. They increase tax expenditure leaving financial strain on middle America.

Based on the 2006 1st Quarter ICE report, $55,000 is the average lifetime cost per illegal.

12 million X's 55,000=$660,000,000,000.... umm, WOW.(not inflation adjusted)
660 TRILLION DOLLARS.

Still not convinced? ..Final question:

Who works harder?
1. The average illegal immigrant. Who stands in the home depot parking lot on for 3 hours on average chatting with his buddies. He is having a ball! He stands there all day and work comes to him! About 2 small jobs a day. (He does unskilled things like painting, and carpentry.) He makes approx. $12/hour.

OR...

2. The average full-time American college student. Who goes to classes from 9-4. Works on his/her class work from 4-7. then, goes to their night job at Starbucks from 7:30-11:30 to pay off his/her student loans..(She makes $9/hour)

Last edited by newportbeachsmostwanted; 02-19-2007 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 01:50 PM

9,986 posts, read 18,698,699 times
Some are very hardworking, I find the ones trying to assimulate and become amercians the hardest working. On the other hand I have seen alot of lazy ones, especially in our business, there is no Above and beyond with them.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:07 PM

702 posts, read 2,528,898 times
Stereotypical statements like "they're not hard working" are completely ridiculous and seemingly most people are aware of it in 2007. But there are still people who make these blanket statements about different groups of people and it does nothing other than causes them appear uneducated and backwards. It just IS NOT accurate to make such statements. period.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:08 PM

989 posts, read 5,934,022 times
Why do illegal immigrants get called hard working more than college students with loans and side jobs?

The whole hard working thing is blown completely out of proportion.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:47 PM

2,218 posts, read 5,403,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Why do illegal immigrants get called hard working more than college students with loans and side jobs?

I'm a college student. But I have no side job. Why?

Because when you get about 10 pages of reports due a week. Then have to study for certs as well as prepare your speech for next week there isn't any time.

Each report takes about 2 - 3 hours to research find good information than write. So that's about 20 - 30 hours. Then I go to school for about 15 hours a week. Then I study for certifications for about 3 or 4 hours a day. 7 x 4 = 28, then after that, i do my tests, those kill me, 100 + questions, and there are normally 2 and they take about 3 hours each. Prepare a speech not too bad, but to make it not suck it takes me about 3 hours. Filling out my portfolio that's on going, but I typically spend about 2 hours a day finding information for it. 2 x 7 = 14, and we all know everyone loves to administer Unix, i read about an hour a day about that 1 x 7 = 7, then do a test for it, another hour so that's 8, building and learning HTML, XHTML, XML, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Flash, and other wonderful Web based technologies i read about 5 hours a day about those. 5 * 7 = 35. And when it's all said and done, I normally like to sleep a bit. that's about 3 hours a day 3*7 = 21

so let's see.

Typical week has

168 hours
-----
1 hour of my week left.

And yes I come here and read and post for a few hours.. normally 3 or 4 a few times a week 2 or 3. (4 x 2)

-7 hours a week left for me... not too shabby!

Old 02-20-2007, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post

My son does it, full time college and job!!! He is gone from 7 am to 9 pm everyday, does homework during lunch and his one day off a week. I cant pay his rent and tuition, he does it without complaint.

Old 02-20-2007, 07:32 AM

3,712 posts, read 6,489,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iroquoispliskin View Post
I'm a college student. But I have no side job. Why?

Because when you get about 10 pages of reports due a week. Then have to study for certs as well as prepare your speech for next week there isn't any time.

Each report takes about 2 - 3 hours to research find good information than write. So that's about 20 - 30 hours. Then I go to school for about 15 hours a week. Then I study for certifications for about 3 or 4 hours a day. 7 x 4 = 28, then after that, i do my tests, those kill me, 100 + questions, and there are normally 2 and they take about 3 hours each. Prepare a speech not too bad, but to make it not suck it takes me about 3 hours. Filling out my portfolio that's on going, but I typically spend about 2 hours a day finding information for it. 2 x 7 = 14, and we all know everyone loves to administer Unix, i read about an hour a day about that 1 x 7 = 7, then do a test for it, another hour so that's 8, building and learning HTML, XHTML, XML, JavaScript, PHP, Perl, Flash, and other wonderful Web based technologies i read about 5 hours a day about those. 5 * 7 = 35. And when it's all said and done, I normally like to sleep a bit. that's about 3 hours a day 3*7 = 21

so let's see.

Typical week has

168 hours
-----
1 hour of my week left.

And yes I come here and read and post for a few hours.. normally 3 or 4 a few times a week 2 or 3. (4 x 2)

-7 hours a week left for me... not too shabby!
Excuse me, but you should be spending that 1 hour a week picking lettuce. I love the 'they work hard' apologists. They must think everybody else doesn't? As far as I am concerned, actually having to use your brain and make critical decisions is harder work than picking fruit. Certainly at least as hard.To those who say, "Could YOU pick lettuce for 8 hours a day?", I say could your illegal alien function as an air traffic controller 8 hours a day? Or a policeman? Or an orthopedic surgeon? I have grown tired of seeing some poor woman in the grocery store who has probably worked all day and just picked up the 2 kids from daycare pay for her food and diapers for the kids while all an illegal has to do is hand over the WIC card and they get everything for free.

Old 02-20-2007, 08:18 AM

10,232 posts, read 11,213,352 times
Yes they work hard!!!! They work hard at milking the system and learning how to get away with things most of us can't nor want to. Like breaking the laws. Yup, they work really, really hard!!!!!

Old 02-20-2007, 08:34 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,476,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammie View Post

1.Yes they work hard!!!!

2.They work hard at milking the system and learning how to get away with things most of us can't nor want to.

3.Like breaking the laws. Yup, they work really, really hard!!!!!
1. and 2. have no correlation, working hard at employment and receiving benefits are distant ideas.

3. The two sentences in number three have no correlation either. Breaking laws and their service to the United States is two different ideas. What laws have illegal immigrants broken that Americans haven't?

Old 02-20-2007, 08:40 AM

What laws have illegal immigrants broken that Americans haven't?

Coming to the country illegally!!! Using stolen SS# for work purposes!!!

What service to the US? Besides so much fraud!! And DO NOT SAY JOBS WE WONT DO, we have already established that as false.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration