Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 10:17 PM

21,116 posts, read 42,217,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exedous View Post
Most of them are under the age of 21. That explains it.
Excellent point there: the idealism of youth; been there, done that (I am age 50 now).

Cannot 'rep' you for another 24 hours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 10:29 PM

510 posts, read 1,462,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
I'm guilty of it- I once defended illegals. I labeled them with statements like, "good people," "friendly," "cultured," and "hard working." Honestly, I had accepted that poor immigrants were excellent workers. Today, I now consider that a false juxtaposition. Look at the facts. ....Why, why, oh WHY do so many people compliment illegal immigrants with.. "They're hard working."?

)

I think I'll comment on this one:

I used to live in Detroit and we had a period of time where lots of houses were picked up for between $5,000 and $50,000. The lesser priced homes needed work, so the buyers would bring in crews of Mexican workers who would work in the hot summer for 12, 14 hours per day (excpet Sunday) and the neighbors all marveled at how "hard they worked" I even heard a few black people make remarks about it, and that "you never seen a brother work like THAT!" (Do NOT flame me, I am only repeating what I heard. Calm down) and in truth, the houses looked great with new paint and new roofs and windows...

Until you got up CLOSE. The work was shabby. It wasn't the kind of work I would expect from somebody I've hired. It wasn't even close. Sure, they worked hard, and quick, but the quality was terrible.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:34 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,143,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunvixen View Post
I think I'll comment on this one:

I used to live in Detroit and we had a period of time where lots of houses were picked up for between $5,000 and $50,000. The lesser priced homes needed work, so the buyers would bring in crews of Mexican workers who would work in the hot summer for 12, 14 hours per day (excpet Sunday) and the neighbors all marveled at how "hard they worked" I even heard a few black people make remarks about it, and that "you never seen a brother work like THAT!" (Do NOT flame me, I am only repeating what I heard. Calm down) and in truth, the houses looked great with new paint and new roofs and windows...

Until you got up CLOSE. The work was shabby. It wasn't the kind of work I would expect from somebody I've hired. It wasn't even close. Sure, they worked hard, and quick, but the quality was terrible.
I guess its like they say, you get what you pay for. But then again, are you saying Mexican workers do terrible jobs in general? If that was the reason don't you think people would stop hiring Mexican workers?? This is why there are inspectors. And this is why using illegal labor gets you what you paid for.

Old 03-12-2008, 10:50 PM

Quote:
I guess its like they say, you get what you pay for. But then again, are you saying Mexican workers do terrible jobs in general? If that was the reason don't you think people would stop hiring Mexican workers?? This is why there are inspectors. And this is why using illegal labor gets you what you paid for.
Nope, I'm not saying that. I'm relating ONE experience which involved about 26 homes bought by 4 different people, thus 4 different "crews." All of the work sucked, but part of the blame may have been the owners and inferior materials. I'm not sure. I posted it because it DID involve 26 houses and I am curious if other people have had similair experiences.

I have never hired an illegal to the best of my knowledge. I HAVE hired workers from Poland and their workmanship and prices were great. Very hard working with meticulous attention to detail, actually.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM

1,268 posts, read 1,143,254 times
Quote:
Nope, I'm not saying that. I'm relating ONE experience which involved about 26 homes bought by 4 different people, thus 4 different "crews." All of the work sucked, but part of the blame may have been the owners and inferior materials. I'm not sure. I posted it because it DID involve 26 houses and I am curious if other people have had similair experiences.

I have never hired an illegal to the best of my knowledge. I HAVE hired workers from Poland and their workmanship and prices were great. Very hard working with meticulous attention to detail, actually.
I guess it works if you want to use anecdotal evidence, we are on the internet you know . What I am saying though is that this is why we have inspectors, to keep quality up. If you have illegals working on your home, there probably won't be any inspector.

Old 03-12-2008, 11:31 PM

Quote:
I guess it works if you want to use anecdotal evidence, we are on the internet you know . What I am saying though is that this is why we have inspectors, to keep quality up. If you have illegals working on your home, there probably won't be any inspector.
OH

I'M

SORRY

I THOUGHT

YOU READ

MY POST.

I SAID "IN DETROIT."

You must not know how Detroit works!! Golly, MY bad. People do not inspect things in Detroit. Owners bribe inspectors. Most corrupt city in history!

Sorry, I assumed you knew that.

As for your anecdotal evidence comment, dear, if you would like, I can send you some of the addresses of the properties in question and you can go see them for yourself. Or shall I take some photos for you? I don't lie, internet or not. I'm from Detroit, we have too much REAL drama, we don't need to make things up.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,199,777 times
OK, I'm fed up too with hearing how immigrants legal and illegal, are so hardworking!

First, they are people...and like ALL humans some are extremely hardworking, some are lazy to the bone and most fall in between.

But the implication that they work harder than people who have been in this country for a few generations really rankles!

Sure, they may work 6 or 7 days a week, 20 hours a day ...but is that a good thing??? Is that what America should be about?

Sure they're willing to work for crap wages....but is that what America should be about?

Sure they take abuse in the workplace without a wimper....is that what America should be about?

Is THAT where they got the reputation for being hard workers? By being desperate and stupid?

Guess I'll just stay "lazy" with my ancestors who spent 225 years surviving and prospering in this country being "lazy"!

Old 03-13-2008, 01:57 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,487,164 times
Quote:
OH

I'M

SORRY

I THOUGHT

YOU READ

MY POST.

I SAID "IN DETROIT."

You must not know how Detroit works!! Golly, MY bad. People do not inspect things in Detroit. Owners bribe inspectors. Most corrupt city in history!

Sorry, I assumed you knew that.

As for your anecdotal evidence comment, dear, if you would like, I can send you some of the addresses of the properties in question and you can go see them for yourself. Or shall I take some photos for you? I don't lie, internet or not. I'm from Detroit, we have too much REAL drama, we don't need to make things up.
Now that is a understatement!

Old 03-13-2008, 06:57 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,864,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
OK, I'm fed up too with hearing how immigrants legal and illegal, are so hardworking!

First, they are people...and like ALL humans some are extremely hardworking, some are lazy to the bone and most fall in between.

But the implication that they work harder than people who have been in this country for a few generations really rankles!

Sure, they may work 6 or 7 days a week, 20 hours a day ...but is that a good thing??? Is that what America should be about?

Sure they're willing to work for crap wages....but is that what America should be about?

Sure they take abuse in the workplace without a wimper....is that what America should be about?

Is THAT where they got the reputation for being hard workers? By being desperate and stupid?

Guess I'll just stay "lazy" with my ancestors who spent 225 years surviving and prospering in this country being "lazy"!

Those are all great points.

In reality they are not a race of hard workers, some might work hard because they're desperate, have no choice. But Mexicans as a race do not have a great work ethic or Mexico would not look like it does. Many turn to easy drug trafficking money over money for hard work.

There's no evidence that when legal, that Mexicans call in sick less or try to work the system less than any group or put in more hours of their own time.

Old 03-13-2008, 07:22 AM

21,116 posts, read 42,217,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Those are all great points.

In reality they are not a race of hard workers, some might work hard because they're desperate, have no choice. But Mexicans as a race do not have a great work ethic or Mexico would not look like it does. Many turn to easy drug trafficking money over money for hard work.

There's no evidence that when legal, that Mexicans call in sick less or try to work the system less than any group or put in more hours of their own time.
There there is no Mexican 'race; as it is-----what we usually see are the Mestizo/Indian 'brown' ones whereas the White Mexicans are typically Middle Class and do not cross the border via coyote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration