Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2007, 02:19 PM

111 posts, read 263,645 times

Advertisements

Oh, boy.

I already tried to make you all aware that I indeed realized that I would be accused of having an attitude of entitlement to the illegals. I reckon it can't be avoided, this sterotype. Oh, well. I pick my fights, and I decline that one.

But there is one thing I would like to say: I never said that religion would solve the immigration problem, Kele. You're right. It won't. I agree. But I was merely trying to shed a little bit of light from a Christian perspective.

Additionally, I want to correct you one something. Catholicism is not automatically Christianity. I have my opinions on the Catholic church, and, suffice to say, I am NOT one of them. Do I hate catholics? Of course not. But Catholicism is inherently different than Christianity or even religion as a whole.

I was only trying to make some lemonade, folks. Out of lemons. But it seems to me that we can only make the lemonade if we have the right perspective.

The pessimism on this thread is a little alarming. Yes, the immigration is a problem, but no, I don't have a couch, and don't watch American Idol. I'm not working tomorrow, so I'm going down to my church at 9:00 and plan to stay until about 6:00, just to see if I can help out. Because that's what I do.

But I'm not about to join the masses and talk about the fact that there is a problem. Most of us on this thread are already aware that there is. So I'm going to work at my church, and I'm going to tell the illegals about Jesus.

Will that solve the immigration problem? No. But it makes good lemonade.

Thanks for reading, friend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2007, 02:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,477,343 times
Gypsy, I love your post and I feel exactly the same way. I live in a part of the country that hasn't been invaded, but I'm smart enough to know that our ENTIRE country needs to be rid of them or they'll continue until they've invaded all of our states.

Spike, it's great that you're looking on the bright side of this, but the fact remains that they are of a totally different mindset then we are. Of course they would go along with going to church with you if they thought they could get another handout from the church like they do from the government. They're users, pure and simple. They have no respect for the law or for our country or for us. They aren't anything like us and don't want to be anything like us. They need to go back to Mexico and march in their own streets oh and let's see what happens to them if they carry their own flag upside down.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:25 PM

90 posts, read 264,778 times
I'm with you.......since the government won't the right thing I'm heading for the mountains too.........

Old 04-22-2007, 02:29 PM

Default I understand.

But...is every single illegal immigrant a user?

That was a little...hmm.

Please, folks! I used to get in trouble at seminary for telling the cowboys to sit on the border with shotguns! I'm all about getting them back home, and off our streets.

The little parades they hold are the worst. They march down our streets proclaiming their liberty in our country!

So I'm totally with you, here friends. If there's a way to get them all out, then, let's do it. I'm all for calling senators. I'm all for signing petitions.

But I'm not about to forsake love simply because they are doing something terrible to us.

You know what I mean?

I want them out. I really, really, do. But...They, just like all lawbreakers (if you want to classify them all as scumbags, then that's probably more or less pretty accurate, based on their actions, but...), are eligible for forgiveness. Not welfare, but a Gospel tract. Not their little parade, but a Bible. Not handouts, but the Gospel preached to them from a church.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

I want them home. Stop teaching my neighbor's little boy Spanish. Stop doing drugs and arming our teens. Stop, stop, stop. Go home. I won't accomodate you. Get out.

But take the Gospel with you.

That's all I was trying to say, ok...?

Old 04-22-2007, 02:35 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,650 times
Spike, Spike, Spike.

Catholicism is the oldest form of organized Christianity on the planet. Just because certain sects of Christianity refuse to acknowledge Catholics as being Christians doesn't make it any less true.

I would never tell you to stop making lemonade. But not talking about illegal immigration as it wrapped its tentacles insiduously around this country since Reagan's amnesty 20 years ago, is what has gotten us to this point to begin with.

Are we pessimistic? D*mn skippy we are. We've watched our government twiddle its thumbs while our country has been invaded by millions of foreign nationals.

But we're not giving up.

Old 04-22-2007, 02:45 PM

Default Hmm...

I'm going to disagree with you...

Even according to the Catholics, The Religion of Catholicism was founded by Constantine in c. 313 A.D.

So...that means Jesus was alive about...oh, 313 years before it was founded. Acts chapter 2 mentioned that people were "added to the church"...how can that happen if the church wasn't around for another few hundred years?

But that's not why I'm writing.

I sense a somewhat condescending attitude...and I know that, whenever I debate Constantinism, er -- Catholicism vs. Christianity, I generally, no, always at least get the other person thinking. But I don't think that's going to happen here, because I sense that I am being rather...looked down upon.

So I'm not going to bother with it.

Judging by the whole "Spike, Spike, Spike" thing, it sounds like you've got it all together. Why waste my time? Besides, (and I say this sincerely) this probably wasn't the best forum to talk about Jesus on. You all seem to have your cake, and I'll allow you to eat it.

But when cake makes you thirsty, don't ask for lemonade!

I'm going to church, so don't think I'm rudely ignoring people if I get a reply. I'm not ignoring you! I'm at choir practice!

Last edited by spike1611; 04-22-2007 at 02:45 PM.. Reason: Spelling error

Old 04-22-2007, 03:21 PM

4,803 posts, read 8,757,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
I'm going to disagree with you...

Even according to the Catholics, The Religion of Catholicism was founded by Constantine in c. 313 A.D.

So...that means Jesus was alive about...oh, 313 years before it was founded. Acts chapter 2 mentioned that people were "added to the church"...how can that happen if the church wasn't around for another few hundred years?

But that's not why I'm writing.

I sense a somewhat condescending attitude...and I know that, whenever I debate Constantinism, er -- Catholicism vs. Christianity, I generally, no, always at least get the other person thinking. But I don't think that's going to happen here, because I sense that I am being rather...looked down upon.

So I'm not going to bother with it.

Judging by the whole "Spike, Spike, Spike" thing, it sounds like you've got it all together. Why waste my time? Besides, (and I say this sincerely) this probably wasn't the best forum to talk about Jesus on. You all seem to have your cake, and I'll allow you to eat it.

But when cake makes you thirsty, don't ask for lemonade!

I'm going to church, so don't think I'm rudely ignoring people if I get a reply. I'm not ignoring you! I'm at choir practice!

Please note that I said, "organized." The word church in the bible did not refer to an actual building or religious sect. The church then consisted of the followers of Jesus. Constantine merely legalized Christianity in 313 A.D. and stopped the prosecution and persecution of Christ's followers. He did not begin the Catholic Church. Constantine himself did not actually convert to Christianity until his death bed. Pretty difficult to start a religion after you're dead.

Once Christianity came out of the closet, so to speak, Catholicism is what evolved. The Roman Church was the only form of Christianity from that point until the Reformation, when Martin Luther, sickened by the corruption he saw within the Church, especially the practice of indulgences, nailed his Ninety-Five Theses to the door of the Wittenberg Church in 1517.

This, of course, has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration, but I have had to study this field extensively for my Anthropology degree and I couldn't let the misconceptions stand unopposed. I know that there are millions of Catholics in this world, my mother included, who would be surprised to find out that they are not considered Christians.

Old 04-22-2007, 04:16 PM

126 posts, read 549,650 times
Spike, your intentions are admirable.
I think we're talking about apples and oranges here, however. You see the masses of illegals in our country as an opportunity to convert them or introduce them to Christianity. Interestingly enough, Hispanics are very devout Christians, mainly Catholic. They don't need to be introduced to God/Jesus. They know him quite well.
Unfortunately, that is not stopping the Invasion.
That is what we're talking about on this forum/thread. Not whether or not they are religious or know Christ, but that we need to stop an Invasion of illegals.
You see them as an opportunity for evangelism, I see them a burden to our society.
Maybe we should pray for Divine Intervention before this all gets worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spike1611 View Post
But...is every single illegal immigrant a user?

That was a little...hmm.

Please, folks! I used to get in trouble at seminary for telling the cowboys to sit on the border with shotguns! I'm all about getting them back home, and off our streets.

The little parades they hold are the worst. They march down our streets proclaiming their liberty in our country!

So I'm totally with you, here friends. If there's a way to get them all out, then, let's do it. I'm all for calling senators. I'm all for signing petitions.

But I'm not about to forsake love simply because they are doing something terrible to us.

You know what I mean?

I want them out. I really, really, do. But...They, just like all lawbreakers (if you want to classify them all as scumbags, then that's probably more or less pretty accurate, based on their actions, but...), are eligible for forgiveness. Not welfare, but a Gospel tract. Not their little parade, but a Bible. Not handouts, but the Gospel preached to them from a church.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

I want them home. Stop teaching my neighbor's little boy Spanish. Stop doing drugs and arming our teens. Stop, stop, stop. Go home. I won't accomodate you. Get out.

But take the Gospel with you.

That's all I was trying to say, ok...?

Old 04-24-2007, 05:42 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,101 times
The Catholic Church is one of the biggest supporters of illegal immigration. How do they justify aiding and abetting criminals that break our laws?

Old 04-24-2007, 05:46 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,472,101 times
Let's say you have worked all your life to build and establish your business. You are also a law abiding citizen so you follow the laws and hire legal citizens. Now Joe Blow Co. down the street is in the same kind of business as you, except he could care less about his fellow citizens, his country, or it's laws.

You bid on a job and Joe Blow Co. bids on the same job. Joe Blow hires illegal unskilled labor, pays no taxes, medical or unemployment insurance on his illegals and he also pays way less wages because they are illegal. He can bring in his bid way under your bid. Joe Blow Co. gets the job and good decent law-abiding you soon go out of business because you can no longer compete in the market.

Liberals....ruining the country day by day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration