Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you perform CPR on an illegal alien?
yes 57 85.07%
no 10 14.93%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2009, 05:24 PM

804 posts, read 1,360,840 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ciaerin View Post
I am with Benicar on this. And as Mac stated. I am not going to search someone's wallet to find out legal status before doing what I can to stabilize them for transport to the hospital. Also just checking breathing/pulse will not tell you they need CPR. You need to also sweep the mouth to make sure there are no obstructions. If they have a normal pulse and are breathing with no obstructions, check their color. If it is pale, raise their feet. If their face is red, raise their head.

I got my CPR certification as part of my Rescue Diver cert. And it was jus an extended version of CPR illustrated in three simple steps, and checking breathing pulse were critical before performing CPR. If thy are breathing or they have a pulse, they do not need to be Resucitated. Even though what you say is correct, that if they are breathing you should check for obstructions and then perform maneuvers to unclog the airways, or check for irregular pulse (even though, this is hard for someone who is not used to hearing people's pulse.) These are not part of CPR. If I'm not mistaken Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) refers to the maneuver to get a person who is not breathing/heart not beating back to doing so.

Here is another link to a CPR quick reference:
http://southjerseycpr.com/images/cpr...l_for_life.jpg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2009, 05:27 PM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
The purpose of the thread was not to determine if anti-illegals would try to save the life of an illegal alien. The OP was hoping to receive a majority of “NO” responses, and then would accuse us of being racists, because a true racist would not touch a person from the hated group, even under life-threatening circumstances.

Sorry to disappoint you, but most anti-illegals are not heartless bigots. As others have stated, we simply want them to leave. This is, by far, one of the most asinine threads I’ve seen.
I couldn't agree more with you.

Old 07-01-2009, 05:37 PM

6,734 posts, read 9,346,671 times
Strange question.
But hell yes I would give an illegal CPR.

Old 07-01-2009, 07:41 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellem View Post
I got my CPR certification as part of my Rescue Diver cert. And it was jus an extended version of CPR illustrated in three simple steps, and checking breathing pulse were critical before performing CPR. If thy are breathing or they have a pulse, they do not need to be Resucitated. Even though what you say is correct, that if they are breathing you should check for obstructions and then perform maneuvers to unclog the airways, or check for irregular pulse (even though, this is hard for someone who is not used to hearing people's pulse.) These are not part of CPR. If I'm not mistaken Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) refers to the maneuver to get a person who is not breathing/heart not beating back to doing so.

Here is another link to a CPR quick reference:
http://southjerseycpr.com/images/cpr...l_for_life.jpg
Trust me I know , These are field training things that American Soldiers take during special forces training. It is basic first aid I was throwing out there. Sometimes someone in shock/heat exhaustion will show signs of having a heart attack/adema. I was pointing out that sometimes things are not what they appear. So it is best to check everything before administering CPR>

Old 07-01-2009, 10:36 PM

11,887 posts, read 36,936,247 times
Of course I would. When it comes to life or death, their status (legal or illegal) takes a back seat. Although I am against illegal immigration, they are still people like you and me and deserve to be treated humanely; life is precious and everyone deserves a chance.

Old 07-02-2009, 01:59 AM

3,645 posts, read 4,928,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
Of course I would. When it comes to life or death, their status (legal or illegal) takes a back seat. Although I am against illegal immigration, they are still people like you and me and deserve to be treated humanely; life is precious and everyone deserves a chance.
They are human like all of us but they are not people like you and me. That I differ with you about because I haven't broken laws and rules of another country just because I could and then DEMANDED that the country take care of me.

Old 07-02-2009, 05:41 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,817,470 times
APJ - IMHO failing to take appropriate action, if you knew the lifesaving techniques, would be considered negligent homocide. If you know how to help you are duty bound to render that help no matter who the victim is.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:32 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antireconquista View Post
Who mentioned anything about ethnicity or background?
You're right. Although the majority of illegal immigrants are latino, I do recognize that there are illegal immigrants from other parts of the world as well.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:37 AM

Location: Where laws can be ignored due to political correctness
1,111 posts, read 1,853,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
You're right. Although the majority of illegal immigrants are latino, I do recognize that there are illegal immigrants from other parts of the world as well.
So then why, in your post, did you mention Hispanics when the thread topic is about whether one would perform CPR on an illegal alien?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfields View Post
Good I'm glad there isn't anyone with enough screws loose to vote no. Regardless of you opinion on illegal immigration, they are humans. For those who say no, what would you do if you saw a hispanic person in need of CPR? Check them for a green card before preforming CPR? Give me a break.

Old 07-02-2009, 11:38 AM

785 posts, read 1,050,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anonymous Political Junky View Post
They are human like all of us but they are not people like you and me. That I differ with you about because I haven't broken laws and rules of another country just because I could and then DEMANDED that the country take care of me.
Just because you break the laws doesn't mean you deserve to die. And you mean to tell me that you've never broken any laws? Never smoked weed? Never drove home after you had 1 too many? Never done 80 in a 55mph zone? Never cheated on your taxes? Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying accuse you of doing any of this stuff, but it is a fact that more people have skeletons in their closet than are willing to admit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration