Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2009, 12:45 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey cabal View Post
It seems worse to me to break into the poor guy's house, blow it full of holes with a shotgun, and then set it on fire. But maybe it's just me that thinks this?
Unless there is evidence that the actions were motivated by the race/ethnicity of the victim, it is simply a crime. For all we know, it could be drug related.

Quote:
Are people who commit hate crimes criminals too?
Anyone who commits a “crime” is a criminal. After all, that IS the origin of the word.

Quote:
Aren't illegal aliens and illegal immigrants the same thing?
The quote did not include the word “illegal.” Thus, no distinction was made between illegal aliens and immigrants. In case you don’t know, they are NOT the same.

Macmeal’s post is spot-on. Your agenda to link opposition to illegal immigration with hate groups/crimes has absolutely no substance. Thus far, you have offered nothing but hot air. Rather than continue with your baseless assertions, why not provide credible evidence to be discussed? Show us the proof. Otherwise, you will fit the description of a troll, and I will not feed you.

Quote:
In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption, often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.

Trolls can also be existing members of such a community that rarely post and often contribute no useful information to the thread, but instead make argumentative posts in an attempt to discredit another person, more often than not based on what they thought was said rather than what was actually said by the other person, concentrating almost exclusively on facts irrelevant to the point of the conversation, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
Definition of Internet Troll « ConradAskland.com

Old 11-03-2009, 03:19 PM

776 posts, read 1,276,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benicar View Post
Macmeal’s post is spot-on. Your agenda to link opposition to illegal immigration with hate groups/crimes has absolutely no substance. Thus far, you have offered nothing but hot air. Rather than continue with your baseless assertions, why not provide credible evidence to be discussed? Show us the proof.
What? Do people who start a thread based on an article need to research the article to find credible evidence? I did not realize that.

Quote:
Otherwise, you will fit the description of a troll, and I will not feed you.
Quote:
(definition of a troll:)In Internet terminology, a troll is a person who enters an established community such as an online discussion forum and intentionally tries to cause disruption
My first posts in this forum were from a thread I started in a different forum that got moved here. The thread, which started out in the California forum, was about the importance of illegal immigrant labor to California’s fresh produce industry. Once I had seen this forum I felt sorry for the poor, hardworking illegal aliens who get bashed daily in this forum but have no voice. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, but they are people too. Just like us.

Quote:
(definition of a troll, con't:)often in the form of posting messages that are inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic, with the intent of provoking a reaction from others.
I get the impression that you consider any post that disagrees with your point of view to be "inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic." In other words, anyone who disagrees with you or pokes holes in your faulty, biased logic is a troll. That’s not what a troll is.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Side note: there is no Latino race----------Hispanic/Latino are political labels only which are designed to mislead.
Hispanics/Latinos not a race? It seems like some folks in this forum call them a race when it suits their purposes. But then deny they are a race when that suits their purposes. See below, from post #33 in this thread:
Quote:
They are the same thing as a white supremist only with a different skin color/race/ethnicity.
Go figure.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:31 PM

15,171 posts, read 18,567,467 times
Quote:
What? Do people who start a thread based on an article need to research the article to find credible evidence? I did not realize that.

My first posts in this forum were from a thread I started in a different forum that got moved here. The thread, which started out in the California forum, was about the importance of illegal immigrant labor to California’s fresh produce industry. Once I had seen this forum I felt sorry for the poor, hardworking illegal aliens who get bashed daily in this forum but have no voice. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, but they are people too. Just like us.

I get the impression that you consider any post that disagrees with your point of view to be "inflammatory, insulting, incorrect, inaccurate, absurd, or off-topic." In other words, anyone who disagrees with you or pokes holes in your faulty, biased logic is a troll. That’s not what a troll is.
I have no problem debating. Opposing views are part and parcel of a good debate. However, you are making assertions without a sound basis. You are accusing these organizations of being hate groups involved in hate crimes. If you are correct, then you should have no issue with sharing evidence to substantiate your claim. If you can’t produce evidence, then it is simply your opinion; which, by the way, holds no more weight than others.

You are also attempting to link all opposition to illegal immigration with hate mongers and hate crimes. As such, you are accusing us of being the same; which is a lie.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:50 PM

Quote:
you are making assertions without a sound basis. You are accusing these organizations of being hate groups involved in hate crimes.
I think you are reading way too much into what this thread is about. Personally, I do suspect that some individuals who commit hate crimes may belong to one or more of these groups. But I don't necessarily think the groups themselves openly sanction hate crimes. That is why the title of this thread has a question mark.

Quote:
If you are correct, then you should have no issue with sharing evidence to substantiate your claim. If you can’t produce evidence, then it is simply your opinion; which, by the way, holds no more weight than others.
Well, I appreciate receiving your permission for me to hold an opinion. And thanks for informing me how much weight my opinion holds.

Quote:
You are also attempting to link all opposition to illegal immigration with hate mongers and hate crimes. As such, you are accusing us of being the same; which is a lie.
Wow! It sounds like all of these things I am doing are pretty evil. Maybe instead of doing these evil terrible things I should just blame all my woes--no, I should blame all the troubles in America--on illegal aliens.

Old 11-03-2009, 03:59 PM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
In today's PC world, defining "hate" is next to impossible...therefore, the term 'hate group' could mean just about anything someone wanted it to. Are these groups 'hate groups'? Some insist they are.
When a word can mean anything it means nothing.
This question can't be answered without a clear defination.
Or several.

A better question might be who is saying these are hate groups and why are they saying it.
Those mysterious 'some' seem to always be whispering crazy things.
You should stop listening to them.

Old 11-03-2009, 04:05 PM

706 posts, read 940,350 times
Benicar said.............

"Macmeal’s post is spot-on. Your agenda to link opposition to illegal immigration with hate groups/crimes has absolutely no substance. Thus far, you have offered nothing but hot air. Rather than continue with your baseless assertions, why not provide credible evidence to be discussed? Show us the proof. Otherwise, you will fit the description of a troll, and I will not feed you. "

"Definition of Internet Troll « ConradAskland.com[/quote]"

I'd rep You if I could Benicar....
On the money.........

Last edited by borderlord; 11-03-2009 at 04:08 PM.. Reason: clarification

Old 11-03-2009, 05:14 PM

14,306 posts, read 13,322,917 times
"Once I had seen this forum I felt sorry for the poor, hardworking illegal aliens who get bashed daily in this forum but have no voice. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, but they are people too. Just like us."

First off why shouldn't illegal aliens be spoken of in a negative way? Second, how do you know they are all hardworking? There are lazy people in every ethnic group regardless of status also. Being hardworking doesn't make it ok to violate our laws to work here anyway. Third, why should illegal aliens have a voice in our country? Fourth, what has the fact that they are human have to do with their illegal status in our country? Does being human make it ok to violate our immigration laws and then not pay the price for it?

Old 11-03-2009, 05:40 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,142,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagonut View Post
"Once I had seen this forum I felt sorry for the poor, hardworking illegal aliens who get bashed daily in this forum but have no voice. Maybe it doesn't occur to you, but they are people too. Just like us."

First off why shouldn't illegal aliens be spoken of in a negative way? Second, how do you know they are all hardworking? There are lazy people in every ethnic group regardless of status also. Being hardworking doesn't make it ok to violate our laws to work here anyway. Third, why should illegal aliens have a voice in our country? Fourth, what has the fact that they are human have to do with their illegal status in our country? Does being human make it ok to violate our immigration laws and then not pay the price for it?
And to run with your ball further: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, etc. were all 'human beings' as well.

Old 11-03-2009, 05:53 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,559,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And to run with your ball further: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin, Vlad the Impaler, etc. were all 'human beings' as well.
And I'm sure EACH of them loved warm puppies, had a hobby, and were VERY much beloved by their friends and families. Maybe even gave a hell of a dinner party.

But EACH of these men, in addition to being 'human beings', also had certain character flaws...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration