Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2009, 08:22 PM

543 posts, read 999,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
And I repeat: outside of Spain/Latin America, Spanish is not an important language.

You need to face the fact that English is the lingua franca of the world:

Aviation
Diplomacy
Science

And you call me ignorant?
yeah

come to the northern part of Illinois. is really "useless" in here, and I'm in a TAD, and I've been speaking more Spanish than English in here. so "useless" that even senior personnel in TSC Great Lakes had spoken Spanish to me without even being 100% sure of me knowing Spanish. I guess having two last names says everything, despite having a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern physique.

Wow, how "useless" is Spanish in here.

Why the hostility?! Is not ok for you (for example) to have more than one language in this country? Is that bad?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:23 PM

8,185 posts, read 12,641,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay_jay26 View Post
This is what I meant with ignorant people like you: did you know that is Spanish and not English the most SPOKEN language in the western hemisphere?!!!

If it wasn't important, then HOW THE HELL IS THE MOST SPOKEN?! AND WHY IT HAD A HIGHER NUMBER OF NATIVE SPEAKERS?!!

If you live in the US, just learn both languages. Spanish is super easy!

Nobody in Europe complains about knowing three or four different languages.
If I were to immigrate to Columbia what language would I speak? I suppose I could speak English - but wouldn't that be considered rude? Wouldn't people assume that I was not making an effort to assimiliate? What if I flew the US flag from my house or car? What if I spoke endlessly of American pride? Wouldn't people get the impression that I had no interest in assimiliating to Columbian culture?

Also, it must be stated again that Europeans speak multiple languages due to the proximity of other countries. It would be like if Idaho, Montana and Utah each spoke a different language -- of course it would make sense to learn those other languages. I assure you that Europeans are not learning several different languages in order to placate a large illegal immigrant community within their country.

Old 11-15-2009, 08:27 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,908,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camping! View Post
Also, it must be stated again that Europeans speak multiple languages due to the proximity of other countries. It would be like if Idaho, Montana and Utah each spoke a different language -- of course it would make sense to learn those other languages. I assure you that Europeans are not learning several different languages in order to placate a large illegal immigrant community within their country.
So we don't border a non-English speaking nation? Last time I checked...

Old 11-15-2009, 08:29 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,227,263 times
Quote:
yeah

come to the northern part of Illinois. is really "useless" in here, and I'm in a TAD, and I've been speaking more Spanish than English in here. so "useless" that even senior personnel in TSC Great Lakes had spoken Spanish to me without even being 100% sure of me knowing Spanish. I guess having two last names says everything, despite having a Mediterranean/Middle Eastern physique.

Wow, how "useless" is Spanish in here.

Why the hostility?! Is not ok for you (for example) to have more than one language in this country? Is that bad?
No its not bad to speak 2 languages. It is bad to expect a nation to cater to illegals. Its also bad to demand that others learn a second language simply to make it easier for those who immigrate here and refuse to learn the language of our nation.
3 of 5 children in my family speak 2 languages. My brothers speak german and I speak Thai. Thai is out of respect for my wife and her family. When I go to Thailand I do my very best to speak only Thai. Not because I am forced. Most Thai speak at least some english. I do so out of respect for the Thai people. It is their country after all. Who am I to expect them to adapt to me?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
So we don't border a non-English speaking nation? Last time I checked...
Yes, and in our Southwestern states citizens do tend to be bilingual.
But what of Mexico? Do they not border the US? Is not English an important - even vital language in the Western hemisphere?

Shouldn't immigrants to a new land be required to learn that new language? Shouldn't they want to?

Old 11-15-2009, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman01 View Post
No its not bad to speak 2 languages. It is bad to expect a nation to cater to illegals. Its also bad to demand that others learn a second language simply to make it easier for those who immigrate here and refuse to learn the language of our nation.
3 of 5 children in my family speak 2 languages. My brothers speak german and I speak Thai. Thai is out of respect for my wife and her family. When I go to Thailand I do my very best to speak only Thai. Not because I am forced. Most Thai speak at least some english. I do so out of respect for the Thai people. It is their country after all. Who am I to expect them to adapt to me?
Maybe you should try speaking Spanish the next time you are in Thailand, tinman.....after all, it is the single most important language in the western hemisphere and all

Old 11-15-2009, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Maybe you should try speaking Spanish the next time you are in Thailand, tinman.....after all, it is the single most important language in the western hemisphere and all
LOL I would be stared at as if I were an idiot.
French? Maybe
german? More common.
Chinese, Japanese, lao, No doubt I would be ok.
Spanish? LOL not a chance.

Last edited by tinman01; 11-15-2009 at 08:53 PM..

Old 11-15-2009, 08:42 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times
[quote=camping!;11641478]If I were to immigrate to Columbia what language would I speak? I suppose I could speak English - but wouldn't that be considered rude? Wouldn't people assume that I was not making an effort to assimiliate? What if I flew the US flag from my house or car? What if I spoke endlessly of American pride? Wouldn't people get the impression that I had no interest in assimiliating to Columbian culture?

You probably mean to "emigrate", now where is this place called "columbia" that has "columbian" culture?????

Old 11-15-2009, 08:51 PM

[quote=Latin King;11641739]
Quote:
If I were to immigrate to Columbia what language would I speak? I suppose I could speak English - but wouldn't that be considered rude? Wouldn't people assume that I was not making an effort to assimiliate? What if I flew the US flag from my house or car? What if I spoke endlessly of American pride? Wouldn't people get the impression that I had no interest in assimiliating to Columbian culture?

You probably mean to "emigrate", now where is this place called "columbia" that has "columbian" culture?????
uhmmm I hope this helps.
Colombia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/samerica/co.htm

Old 11-15-2009, 08:53 PM

411 posts, read 468,751 times
Quote:
Mexican Spanish is TERRIBLE!!!!!

Even if I'm Puerto Rican (PR is the capital of bad Spanish), I talk in a standard, neutral American Spanish. Very clear, very legible.

The nicest sounding American Spanish would be the one spoken in Colombia; it sounds very neutral, very legible, and very polite.

I also know some Portuguese (I'm mistaken very often with Brazilian, though. maybe is my physique, hahaha), and some Japanese.

There is no mexican spanish or colombian or portorrican spanish, there is only one "castellano" spanish with some differences mainly in nouns, I have extensively traveled latin america and the iberic peninsula, when it comes who speaks the more proper spanish, it is not which country are from, but rather the education level, for example Puerto Rico has one of the highest levels of education in the world, measured in years of school per capita, only surpassed by Japan, and the educated people in Puerto Rico speak the most proper Spanish that you can find, educated colombians do well, but the deeper into the rural areas the more broken spanish you find, remember there is a very large indigeneous population in colombia and other latin american countries.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration