Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2010, 03:03 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Illegal aliens violate the law by their mere presence in this country.
Why should American citizens be subjected to searches? If you can guarantee that not one American will be searched, than I see little problem with the law.

Quote:
I don't see this being an more invasive that a routine Friday night DUI check point. Does that also violate the 4th Amendment? If so, why aren't all of you naysayers out there lobbying to put a halt to DUI check points?
I'm against DUI point checks. I've never had to go through one, so I don't know the invasive nature of them. If they require that you prove sobriety via urine samples, than yes, that is unconstitional.

Quote:
Additionally, illegal aliens are also driving without licenses and/or insurance....hmmm....yet another violation of the law.

I can be pulled over for any reason and you know what? As long as I'm not in violation of the law, why should I care?
Wrong, you cannot be pulled over for any reason.
Quote:
I'll be on my way in minutes. The only people this will negatively effect are those who shouldn't be here to begin with. If you're driving a car, you will have a driver's license unless you are not an American citizen or legal green card holder. And if you're one of those unlucky folks who have had your license pulled for prior offenses, you shouldn't be driving anyway.

'Nuff said.
this law permits law enforcement agents to search any person, not just drivers.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:24 PM

968 posts, read 2,623,491 times
innocent until proven guilty, i'm a conservative and i disagree with the law. I believe they should have increased the castle doctrine to allow for more self defense, and increased security at the border, because you can lawfully refuse to show your ID to to an officer. you'll probably get taken down to the station, but you don't have to show it if you've done nothing wrong.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:28 PM

1,038 posts, read 1,225,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orincarnia View Post
innocent until proven guilty, i'm a conservative and i disagree with the law. I believe they should have increased the castle doctrine to allow for more self defense, and increased security at the border, because you can lawfully refuse to show your ID to to an officer. you'll probably get taken down to the station, but you don't have to show it if you've done nothing wrong.
You sound like a true Libertarian, unlike some pseudo Libertarians.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:35 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Lot of conscientious subjectors on this board.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:39 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kele View Post
Illegal aliens violate the law by their mere presence in this country.

I don't see this being an more invasive that a routine Friday night DUI check point. Does that also violate the 4th Amendment? If so, why aren't all of you naysayers out there lobbying to put a halt to DUI check points?

Right...not controversial enough for ya.
Well for one thing the Supreme Court has ruled on DUI checks and has laid down some rather stringent rules for their use. The Court also ruled that there are compelling state interests, safety, which they found as a exception to the 4th Amendment. However 15 states have decided to outlaw their use. Frankly, I think that you would be hard pressed making an argument that illegal immigrants (especially with emphasis on hispanics) rises to the same level of compelling state interest.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM

19,226 posts, read 15,316,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Well for one thing the Supreme Court has ruled on DUI checks and has laid down some rather stringent rules for their use. The Court also ruled that there are compelling state interests, safety, which they found as a exception to the 4th Amendment. However 15 states have decided to outlaw their use. Frankly, I think that you would be hard pressed making an argument that illegal immigrants (especially with emphasis on hispanics) rises to the same level of compelling state interest.
It's a fricken invasion!

Non-combatants in enemy territory!

It's an attempt to Catholosize America.

I think we're getting Vaticanated.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:43 PM

3,331 posts, read 5,953,991 times
Just so everyone is clear on the Libertarian Party platform concerning immigration:

3.4 Free Trade and Migration
We support the removal of governmental impediments to free trade. Political freedom and escape from tyranny demand that individuals not be unreasonably constrained by government in the crossing of political boundaries. Economic freedom demands the unrestricted movement of human as well as financial capital across national borders. However, we support control over the entry into our country of foreign nationals who pose a threat to security, health or property.

There are those who will say that Libertarians are for totally open borders and everyone come and go as they please. Not so much. Just wanted to clear that up.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
It's a fricken invasion!

Non-combatants in enemy territory!

It's an attempt to Catholosize America.

I think we're getting Vaticanated.
I don't know whether to cry or laugh hysterically!

Old 04-23-2010, 03:52 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,472,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Roma View Post
Yet another very weak excuse. So let's get them trained. 287g is already out there. The costs for any additional training would be offset by lowering the massive drain illegals place on the taxpayers.
Why are you training state police officers to handle federal issues? If it's a failure at the federal level it should be resolved there.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:55 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,849,529 times
You think they will dig up ol Wyatt Earp to cleanup Tombstone?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Illegal Immigration