Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 05:07 PM

15 posts, read 69,572 times

Advertisements

I am stationed at Scott and PCS'ing in about four months. I live less than 5 minutes to Scott AFB. We are in the OFallon District 90/Moye/OTHS School district. The commute to Scott from St Louis is pretty rough at times. Feel free to DM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by mdz; 12-19-2007 at 10:33 PM.. Reason: no advertising allowed on this forum
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 08:11 AM

15 posts, read 52,372 times
We live in O'Fallon and my husband works on the base. The commute is great and the town is nice. The schools are great! I would say O'Fallon and Shiloh would be good choices. There's a lot of great shopping nearby in Fairview Heights. The only thing with O'Fallon is that the property taxes seem a bit high. I would not suggest communiting from St. Louis. You have plenty of good choices on this side of the river with a short commute.

Last edited by mdz; 12-20-2007 at 08:38 AM.. Reason: sorry, can't advertise house for sale here

Old 07-30-2008, 10:36 AM

8 posts, read 47,192 times
My husband is active duty AF stationed at Scott and I have to agree with the previous responses. Commuting from St. Louis could be rough at times. I do know a few people who do that because they really want to live in the city, don't have kids, want the night life, etc. If you are looking for good schools, easy commute, and military friendly communities, I would stay on the Illinois side as there are many good options.

O'fallon was mentioned before -- good schools, larger town, can get congested depending on where in O'fallon you live, close to shopping.

Mascoutah -- only 5 minutes from base, Growing small town, if you have young school age kids, they can be bussed to the Scott AFB youth center for after school care.

Shiloh -- also about 5 minutes from base (really feels like it is an extension of O'fallon), children attend O'fallon high school but have their own elementary school, close to shopping, lots of new and new(er) homes.

New Baden -- about 11 miles from the base. In my opinion, this town is one of the best kept secrets in the area. Right off the interstate, so it easy easy to get the mall, etc. Small town feel, has town athletic booster club for youth athletic programs, nice park with city pool, ball fields, playground, walking trail, etc. Some new construction housing available, as well as really cute older homes. Excellent school district.

Fell free to send me a message if you would like any additional info on the area.

Old 08-02-2008, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 6,301 times
Im am from st louis i was born there and raised there. I moved away 9yrs ago to a small sw kansas town and hated it there. im back in the area now and am so thankful to be back. In my experince since i came back alot of ppl commute back and forth on both sided what everyone keeps forgetting to tell ya we have the metro link which is like a subway and it makes getting back in forth easier and cheaper. Not to mention there is one right buy scott air force base. Either way it goes u have some good choices for now to pick from. Im in O fallon il now but it puts me close enough to home and my family good luck

Old 08-02-2008, 01:27 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
The OP started this thread in 2007. I think they have it sorted out by now.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:55 PM

38 posts, read 112,379 times
Can you please tell me the name of the school district in O'Fallon ? It is hard to get a teacher certification from another state?

thanks,

Old 01-08-2009, 07:48 PM

8 posts, read 47,192 times
Default O'fallon Schools

I don't know the process for getting certified as a teacher in IL (maybe someone else will answer with that), but here are links to the O'fallon Schools websites.

Here is a link to the O'Fallon District 90 school website:
O'Fallon CCSD 90 - O'Fallon CCSD 90

Here is a link to the O'Fallon High School Website:
https://www.edline.net/pages/O_Fallon_High_School/

Hope this helps,

Marisa Whisel

Old 01-09-2009, 08:57 AM

Default O'fallon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spree View Post
There are plenty of affordable areas in O'Fallon and the surrounding area - no need to communte. O'fallon has great schools.

What is the name of the school district there?

thanks

Old 01-09-2009, 09:32 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,265,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by templete View Post
What is the name of the school district there?

thanks
Information about schools including the name of the district has been proffered several times in this thread already.

Old 01-09-2009, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Information about schools including the name of the district has been proffered several times in this thread already.

No need to write that, wasting your time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois