Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 10:45 AM

456 posts, read 586,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
They definitely aren't (and certainly not in the same league of UChicago), but they offer decent-to-good education, serve tens of thousands of students both from and from outside Illinois, and have pretty big sports teams. ISU in particular doesn't fair too poorly in the national rankings, and--if memory serves me correctly--they aren't ranked too far away from Rutgers, which is a Big10 team/school.
Yes, your comparison of ISU & Rutgers is very true. It still ticks me off that Maryland and Rutgers were added to Big 10 just to make a dollar. Kansas and Louisville would have suited me just fine if they were going to add anybody.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2015, 03:57 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,419,077 times
Quote:
They definitely aren't (and certainly not in the same league of UChicago), but they offer decent-to-good education, serve tens of thousands of students both from and from outside Illinois, and have pretty big sports teams. ISU in particular doesn't fair too poorly in the national rankings, and--if memory serves me correctly--they aren't ranked too far away from Rutgers, which is a Big10 team/school.
The thing is, Illinois is a more populated state than Michigan. Chicagoland is bigger than Metro Detroit & Grand Rapids combined. Yet schools like Illinois State & even NIU will never have the same cache or camaraderie as Michigan's secondary Big 10 option which is Michigan State lol. Nor do they have the same reputation in sports nor the same resources in terms of research & academia.

Old 12-09-2015, 04:21 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
The thing is, Illinois is a more populated state than Michigan. Chicagoland is bigger than Metro Detroit & Grand Rapids combined. Yet schools like Illinois State & even NIU will never have the same cache or camaraderie as Michigan's secondary Big 10 option which is Michigan State lol. Nor do they have the same reputation in sports nor the same resources in terms of research & academia.
Sure, absolutely (although I would argue that sports are very big a NIU), but then Michigan doesn't have a Northwestern or University of Chicago, either. It just happens that for these schools (NU, U of C), sports are not nearly as big. Then you also have the fact that Chicagoland sends its college-age students to Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, etc. in addition to all over Illinois, and it becomes perhaps unsurprising that Illinois only has two Big10 schools.

Old 12-12-2015, 08:37 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,265,438 times
If you ask at ISU, you would probably be told it is a teaching school; sports are secondary. It's rather proud of the ISU Actuary program that is one of Top 13 in North America.

The University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) quietly funds or otherwise promotes University of Illinois College of Medicine (UICOM-?) on campuses in four Illnois cities whilst the University of Illinois - Chicago funds or otherwise promotes University of Illinois College of Nursing (UIC CON) on campuses in six Illinois cities as far west as the Quad Cities and as far south as Urbana.

Of the ten cities where the colleges are located only three are not connected politically.

Last edited by linicx; 12-12-2015 at 08:56 PM..

Old 12-12-2015, 11:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
I normally think of the two best small/medium college towns in the Midwest as Madison and Ann Arbor. In my experience, Chambana is normally regarded similar to the likes of Bloomington and Iowa City, which both don't belong up there with Ann Arbor and Madison.
agreed.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:24 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,123,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosario82 View Post
Champaign-Urbana doesn't match the natural beauty of the Madison or Bloomington areas.

CU does have more diversity then all those other places, especially Madison. CU has lots of people from all over the globe, and the largest percentage of Asians anywhere between the coasts.

The music scene in CU has been and continues to be as good as or better than all of those places.

Ann Arbor is right next to a major metro area but then it's Detroit so not much of an advantage really. Personally I'd rather be 2 hours from Chicago than 30 minutes from Detroit.

Madison is a great place and I wouldn't argue with it being ranked first, although the winters there can be rough.
Why do you say that CU has more diversity than all those other places, especially Madison? What are you basing this on? Any statistics to back this up? Madison has an Indonesian restaurant, one of the harder to find Asian cuisines. Does CU have this?

Thats your preference and perrogative, that you would rather be 2 hours from Chicago vs 30 minutes from Detroit, but seriously, 2 hours is far away enough, that you really have little opportunity to take advantage of what Chicago would have to offer at CU. 2 hours might as well be 3.5 hours, the distance from Ann Arbor. Even if you don't think much of Detroit, Ann Arbors location gives numerous advantages from being by DIA (airport, and other things_ that CU doesn't have.

And comparing winters in Madison vs the other towns is a bit like splitting hairs.

Old 12-12-2015, 11:26 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,243,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It seems to me that you never really hear Champaign Urbana mentioned in the same breathe as those highly touted Big Ten college towns….places like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington, etc.

how do you think Champaign Urbana matches up to other midwestern college towns, like the ones above?
Champaign/Urbana is TWO towns not ONE and it really does not matter how one person thinks the college matches up to other schools unless they are the potential student looking at Colleges to attend.

Old 12-15-2015, 08:12 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,143,483 times
Quote:
Sure, absolutely (although I would argue that sports are very big a NIU), but then Michigan doesn't have a Northwestern or University of Chicago, either. It just happens that for these schools (NU, U of C), sports are not nearly as big. Then you also have the fact that Chicagoland sends its college-age students to Wisconsin, Iowa, Indiana, Michigan, etc. in addition to all over Illinois, and it becomes perhaps unsurprising that Illinois only has two Big10 schools.
When you say Michigan doesn't have a Northwestern or University of Chicago, are you referring to undergraduate studies?

University of Michigan outranks Northwestern in almost everything except Education and Business with its graduate programs. However, Northwestern outranks U of Michigan in Undergraduate studies.

Nursing: U of Michigan #6 ; Northwestern NONE.
Best Nursing School Rankings | Nursing Program Rankings | US News

Law: U of Michigan #11 ; Northwestern #12.
Best Law School Rankings | Law Program Rankings | US News

Education: U of Michigan # 11; Northwestern # 7.
Best Education School Rankings | Education Program Rankings | US News

Medicine Research: U of Michigan #10; Northwestern #19.
Best Medical Schools | Research Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Research | US News Best Graduate Schools

Medicine: U of Michigan #5; Northwestern #29 .
Best Medical Schools | Primary Care Rankings | Top Medical Schools for Primary Care | US News Best Graduate Schools

Engineering: U of Michigan #6; Northwestern #21.
Best Engineering School Rankings | Engineering Program Rankings | US News

Business: U of Michigan #11; Northwestern #6.
Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News

Secondly, Illinois has only 3 million more people than Michigan.

Old 12-16-2015, 06:56 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
When you say Michigan doesn't have a Northwestern or University of Chicago, are you referring to undergraduate studies?

Secondly, Illinois has only 3 million more people than Michigan.
I meant specifically prestigious private research universities that don't put a heavy emphasis on sports.

Yes, as you correctly pointed out Michigan has several great graduate programs. Taken as a whole (considering undergraduate education as well as all master's, doctoral, and research programs), U Chicago is ranked 4th in the nation, Northwestern 12th, and Michigan 29th (certainly the highest ranked public institution in the Big10, with Wisconsin and Illinois tied after that).

National University Rankings | Top National Universities | US News Best Colleges

I never wrote anything about population, but a difference of 3 million people (almost a third of the population of Michigan) is a considerable difference.

Old 12-17-2015, 03:51 PM

4 posts, read 5,457 times
I think most people see Champaign-Urbana differently as adults compared to students overall. Most adults usually only see Champaign and the tailgating fields/parking lots around Kirby and First Ave, they never get really on campus. Champaign as a town overall sucks minus its core downtown area. Urbana, however is really pretty between Lincoln and Vine with tree lined streets and older homes. Most visitors just never venture that far east to see it.

The campus itself is beautiful around the quad with its Georgian architecture and mature trees. Green St and Wright St on campus near the quad have bars where you only need to be 19 to get into. This gives C-U a huge advantage over Bloomington, Iowa City and Madison where you need to be 21. The bar scene and huge greek population gives U of I a party atmosphere environment and great college town vibe in my opinion. Whenever you can get a great education and have a great party scene that both Madison and Champaign-Urbana offer you can't go wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois