Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2015, 08:46 AM

6,359 posts, read 8,836,776 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that you never really hear Champaign Urbana mentioned in the same breathe as those highly touted Big Ten college towns….places like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington, etc.

how do you think Champaign Urbana matches up to other midwestern college towns, like the ones above?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2015, 02:38 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,407,718 times
I normally think of the two best small/medium college towns in the Midwest as Madison and Ann Arbor. In my experience, Chambana is normally regarded similar to the likes of Bloomington and Iowa City, which both don't belong up there with Ann Arbor and Madison.

Old 11-28-2015, 07:55 PM

11,535 posts, read 30,269,957 times
When I think of U-C I think of loud, large venues, lousy parking, and tailgate parties.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:36 PM

408 posts, read 998,158 times
Having gone there for six years (BA and MA), I will be biased in my opinion of the city. Besides the University, there was never anything significant happening to warrant extra attention on the news.

I feel Champaign-Urbana was more interesting and better in opportunities than Dekalb. This is due to size of both town and campus. On the other hand, Ann Arbor does have the advantage of a nearby metropolitan area, as well as being bigger in general (slightly). Both Ann Arbor and C-U were big football rivals I recall.

I cannot say Champaign-Urbana compares to Madison, because the latter is also the capitol and therefore affords amenities and opportunities that C-U cannot. Additionally, it has natural features that make it slightly more interesting.

I have not visited other campuses or towns to state any worthwhile opinion otherwise.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:45 PM

12 posts, read 25,919 times
Champaign-Urbana doesn't match the natural beauty of the Madison or Bloomington areas.

CU does have more diversity then all those other places, especially Madison. CU has lots of people from all over the globe, and the largest percentage of Asians anywhere between the coasts.

The music scene in CU has been and continues to be as good as or better than all of those places.

Ann Arbor is right next to a major metro area but then it's Detroit so not much of an advantage really. Personally I'd rather be 2 hours from Chicago than 30 minutes from Detroit.

Madison is a great place and I wouldn't argue with it being ranked first, although the winters there can be rough.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 7,424,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
It seems to me that you never really hear Champaign Urbana mentioned in the same breathe as those highly touted Big Ten college towns….places like Ann Arbor, Madison, Iowa City, Bloomington, etc.

how do you think Champaign Urbana matches up to other midwestern college towns, like the ones above?
Walkable, parties a plenty, milder weather than Ann Arbor or Madison, in-state vs out of state of an Illinoisan
What else is there

Old 12-08-2015, 09:52 PM

2,115 posts, read 5,420,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post

Speaking of this, I always thought it was a shame that Illinois does not have two decent public Big 10 institutions that are attainable for a large number of students. Look at states such as Michigan or Indiana. Neither one of them have a metro area that comes close to Chicago's size (Michigan's Metro Detroit is the closest thing, but we all know it is still about half the size of Chicagoland), yet they have 2 solid public Big 10 options available to them. What does Illinois have? The extremely expensive, private, nearly impossible to get into Northwestern University & an extremely filled to capacity, ultra competitive, but somewhat affordable University of Illinois-Champaign. Michigan has University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (tough to get into, but good in-state value still) & Michigan State (definitely attainable for the rest of the state's students with potential). Indiana has the competitive Indiana University - Bloomington & the more engineering oriented (but attainable) Purdue in West Lafayette, IN.

I guess this is the reason that a lot of kids from Chicago's burbs opted for schools such as Iowa over the years.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reppin_the_847 View Post
Speaking of this, I always thought it was a shame that Illinois does not have two decent public Big 10 institutions that are attainable for a large number of students. Look at states such as Michigan or Indiana. Neither one of them have a metro area that comes close to Chicago's size (Michigan's Metro Detroit is the closest thing, but we all know it is still about half the size of Chicagoland), yet they have 2 solid public Big 10 options available to them. What does Illinois have? The extremely expensive, private, nearly impossible to get into Northwestern University & an extremely filled to capacity, ultra competitive, but somewhat affordable University of Illinois-Champaign. Michigan has University of Michigan-Ann Arbor (tough to get into, but good in-state value still) & Michigan State (definitely attainable for the rest of the state's students with potential). Indiana has the competitive Indiana University - Bloomington & the more engineering oriented (but attainable) Purdue in West Lafayette, IN.

I guess this is the reason that a lot of kids from Chicago's burbs opted for schools such as Iowa over the years.
I think one could argue that Illinois also has NIU and Illinois State, but of course those don't play football in the Big10.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:29 AM

456 posts, read 587,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
I think one could argue that Illinois also has NIU and Illinois State, but of course those don't play football in the Big10.
NIU/ISU compares more to SIU or any of the other directional schools.

I dont even think of it as being in the same league as Northwestern or Illinois.

Old 12-09-2015, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by titanspreds_04 View Post
NIU/ISU compares more to SIU or any of the other directional schools.

I dont even think of it as being in the same league as Northwestern or Illinois.
They definitely aren't (and certainly not in the same league of UChicago), but they offer decent-to-good education, serve tens of thousands of students both from and from outside Illinois, and have pretty big sports teams. ISU in particular doesn't fair too poorly in the national rankings, and--if memory serves me correctly--they aren't ranked too far away from Rutgers, which is a Big10 team/school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois