Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2008, 03:43 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,615 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sburton View Post
One of the most amusing things in the "Us poor Downstaters are just so abused and neglected" rants is that it's evident they i) don't want to be taxed, ii) don't like big government (especially Chicago style), and iii) don't trust anyone from outside Downstate to understand their issues or bestow appropriate sympathy. But I note that like clockwork they instantly go hysterical and throw hissy fits when the State actually...gasp... takes steps to cut services in a response to fiscal tightening. In other words, in tough times when dollars are short and the State cuts back, they go howling bloody murder. Now I ask what's not to get here? For instance, the train to Macomb and Quincy is a money loser. Old news. Times are tough and that route is put on the chopping block. Oh no!! cry the Downstaters, that cannot be!! The hypocrisy is truly stunning. My sincere suggestion to these folks is to move onto something more constructive and stop the endless whining. Giving in to self pity is no solution. Come on folks. It's the 21st Century already!
Well it is painfully apparent that you have no idea what downstaters actually care about, but nice try anyways. Exactly, how is it ranting to make the comment that you don't like taxes? Do you like taxes or big government sburton? Wait, if you live in Chicago they must not bother you too much, since now you have the highest in the nation. Never mind, forget I asked. LOL! Your third piece of "evidence", that "us" downstaters feel "abused and neglected(?)" not only shows your complete ignorance of downstate issues, but only confirms the very reason why most downstaters have at least a moderate sense of contempt for Chicago. Honestly, why would any downstate city want any sympathy from Chicagoland? Sympathy for what? -not being corrupt! My gosh people, do you really think that we honestly are jealous, or of want for, the type of cities that surround Chicago? LOL! Yes, we are forever grafeful that we aren't surrounded by cities like Elgin, Aurora, Joliet, and Cicero, all of which have vastly more problems than we could ever even hope for. Sure, would it be nice if Peoria had more of the same attributes as Evanston? Sure. But we also understand that Evanston is far from the norm anywhere. I think most of you honestly believe that since Chicago is the center of your world, than it is our's south of I-80 too. Nothing could be further from the truth. Sure, reading about C(r)ook County's ills is good for laugh, but at the end of the day, most folks in central Illinois couldn't care anymore about it, and that is just the simple truth. Your little disputes and mis-managed political ills, are of little concern to us, and we just pray everynight that we don't ever have the scandals and problems that Chicagoland seems endlessly consumed in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2008, 04:36 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,250 times
It might come as a shock to downstaters but transportation in Chicago is so flawed that without money from Springfield, it would soon cease to exist. I also have real feelings for Downstaters I actually feel that a law should be created to stop sprawl from Chicago from going past Kankakee to the south and Rockford to the west. I also find it sad that Rural areas, are viewed as out of touch and that younger people leave there smaller hometowns.

Old 08-26-2008, 04:44 PM

5,525 posts, read 13,953,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
It might come as a shock to downstaters but transportation in Chicago is so flawed that without money from Springfield, it would soon cease to exist. I also have real feelings for Downstaters I actually feel that a law should be created to stop sprawl from Chicago from going past Kankakee to the south and Rockford to the west. I also find it sad that Rural areas, are viewed as out of touch and that younger people leave there smaller hometowns.
And where exactly does most of that Springfield money come from?

Old 08-26-2008, 04:48 PM

990 posts, read 3,187,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sukwoo View Post
And where exactly does most of that Springfield money come from?
Where does it come from, hmmmmm............. I really don't know considering the state has a $750 million deficit.

I'll make A wild prediction though, I bet within the next 70 years there will be a president who hails from this region of Illinois.

Old 08-26-2008, 05:27 PM

269 posts, read 1,100,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerichoHW View Post
Oh believe me, we know! There has been a steady, and ever increasing amount of Chicagoland transplants into central Illinios the past ten years, and all of us that used to live there are very much aware of the current situtation up north. I have also heard that cities like LaSalle/Peru and Ottawa have actually already started to prepare to deal with Chicagoland sprawl before it becomes to out of hand, by simply putting ordinances in place to keep it from growing beyond what it can handle. Gee, there's a thought!

Chicagoland's obcession with sprawl though has got to end sometime, and I guess it will take the greater encompassing central Illinois area to say, 'Enough is enough!" I never thought that I would see the day when towns as far removed from Chicago as Morris would be considered the fringes of "Chicagoland", but here we are, and it isn't going to get any better folks. What we are effectivly seeing now is the combined forces of Aurora, Joliet, and Naperville spreading out at a rapid pace, and taking on a radius that is staggering. Just thirty years ago I can remeber people driving out in Will County from Chicago, and trully feeling like they were waaaaaaay out there. Heck, my home in Downer's Grove was considered the "sticks". Now, there is no seperation, and that was just thirty years ago!! It is just plain scary to think what Chicagoland will look like in another thirty. My gosh, there isn't a single place within Dupage County to build one new apartment!! Look how fast that happened. I hope Chicago is happy that as it continues to gobble up all of those precious acres with plastic cookie-cutter tract homes, that they are also taking away some of the most fertile soil on the face of the planet!!!!!! And yet we are the uneducated ones!!!!???? Education down in these here parts may not be what it is on Kenilworth, but by golly, at least we know that the world's richest soil, is more important than a flippn' strip mall!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-26-2008, 07:00 PM

15,586 posts, read 27,621,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadedWest View Post
But then don't be surprised if Chicago isn't very popular with the rest of the state.

Especially when the governor even refuses to live in the state capitol.
Jeffrey Dahmer and Ed Gein were from Wisconsin; do I hate Wisconsin because of that fact? No.

People who hate Chicago just because the governor is from Chicago are morons and I will never take any word out of their mouths seriously.

Old 08-26-2008, 11:49 PM

2,394 posts, read 4,087,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avengerfire View Post
People who hate Chicago just because the governor is from Chicago are morons and I will never take any word out of their mouths seriously.
The technical name for this is a strawman argument.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:36 PM

62 posts, read 163,252 times
This thread = train derailment.

heh heh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois