Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-12-2008, 02:26 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,612,432 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I am new to the forum. I have lived in Rockford for 5 yrs. What I am trying to find out is where to turn to solve neighbor issues. We live in a quiet neighborhood, but now have new neighbors who are creating numerous problems. The police say at the time they can do nothing due to policies. What type of resources are there to resolve these issues?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 07:37 AM

92 posts, read 345,094 times
It might help to know what kind of problems the neighbors are creating.

Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phl76 View Post
It might help to know what kind of problems the neighbors are creating.
Shooting off large fireworks at 2AM, under age drinking, pot smoking, loud parties in the middle of the night. I have called the police and they claim they have to witness it. Last night the officer saw the drinking and smelled the pot at their door, but claimed he could do anything since their mother wouldn't let him in the house. Said he could only pick the kids up if he caught them outside. We live in a nice neighbor hood and they moved in a couple months ago and it has been h*** ever since. Is there a particular neighborhood group of some sort to contact?

Thank you

Old 07-13-2008, 10:37 AM

92 posts, read 345,094 times
Certainly sounds like the police could be trying a little harder.

According to the Illinois state law, only certain types of fireworks can be purchased and used commercially. Everything else needs a permit. I might want to call the fire marshall to at least have them investigate.

According to a fireworks website, the Illinois State Fire Marshall is responsible for enforcing the fireworks regulations. You may have to escalate to them if the local authorities are no help.

State Fire Marshall
State of Illinois
Division of Fire Prevention
1035 Stevenson Drive
Springfield, IL 62730-4219
217-785-4714
Illinois Fireworks Laws (http://www.fireworks.com/fireworks_laws/laws_illinois.asp - broken link)
State of Illinois, Keep Cool Illinois - Fireworks Safety Awareness

As for the underage drinking and drug use, try to speak to the police supervisor and see if the police cannot truly intervene if the mother refuses to allow them into the house or if the officers were just unwilling to get involved. Perhaps ask them for advice on how to handle the situation. I'm sure there are ordinances regarding drug use and underage drinking. Perhaps get social services involved for child endangerment (Illinois Department of Children and Family Services).

Best of luck

Old 07-13-2008, 07:21 PM

Thanks for the help and the links! I've got to do something!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois