Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 07:14 PM

13 posts, read 33,486 times

Advertisements

I currently (past 2 years) live north of University in Champaign and lived previously north of University Ave. for 3 years. Never had any problems (crime related).

IMO the worst area(s) is East and Southeast Urbana. A person could live north of University and be literally a two minute walk from the Engineering Quad and 7 minutes from the Main quad. Can't say that about SE Urbana.

I also lived in SE Urbana for several years (2004-'07) and ALSO never had any problems. Sounds like the person who responded first had an atypically bad experience.

There are in fact plenty of decent to nice places north of Uni. Ave. and it is by no means all black. It really depends on what you and your families' preferences are. New subdivision style living on the outskirts of town, or even in Mahomet, Savoy, St. Joseph, etc, or in established older neighborhoods with nice older homes, trees, parks etc. There are many good places for either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 07:49 PM

135 posts, read 599,092 times
Not sure what being near any quad has to do with safety, but I think SE Urbana has improved since you lived there. I moved here in 2007 and I don't feel unsafe, and I would much rather live here than north of University. Most folks I know who have lived here longer says it has improved, especially from about 5 years ago. I think a lot of the problems do still exist in the eastern part of Urbana, but that's just based on anecdotal evidence.

In my opinion, some CU residents tend to exaggerate the crime problems for both cities. I think it is all relative to where you have lived before. I have lived in a wealthy big city suburb and some pretty marginal areas of a city. I would say that all areas in C-U fall somewhere between those two in terms of safety. The towns are just not that big. You can't cloister yourself away from undesirable elements as easily, but at the same time, the bad areas of town are not that bad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois