Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2018, 05:51 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by advancedsearch View Post
Here is the answer.

Illinois is a huge blue state by geography but not by population. Lifestyle and policy (politics) preference tend to correlate. Sorry to be captain obvious...

Illinois presidential vote results, by county - Chicago Tribune
Actually just the reverse: Illinois is a blue state by population, but not by geography. People vote, not land, and more people in Illinois tend to vote democratic. Chicago also does not have a stranglehold on liberalism or voting Democrat: several parts of Chicagoland can be fairly conservative, whereas areas downstate that are blue collar, part of STL metro, or connected to the University of Illinois are democratic and/or liberal. Aside from those areas, the remaining population centers are pretty middle of the road politically.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 07:42 PM

451 posts, read 364,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
Your total COL is a lot lower though. Don’t just focus on one slice of the whole pie.
They asked for the reason and that IS the reason. Idc I’m moving out of this state ASAP doesn’t matter to me

Your reasoning also doesn’t make any sense

Last edited by FalstaffBlues; 08-22-2018 at 08:03 PM..

Old 08-23-2018, 12:06 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
I'm a hunter. I have, on occasion gone hunting, and transported my gun. Occasionally, a stray shell MAY escape the box of ammo, and has been known to be found lying on the seat the next day.

Also, the state I come from, it's not uncommon for a farmer to drive around with a loaded AR-15 in the vehicle to shoot coyotes. No one is going to kill anyone...not the point. But because of the crime problem in Chicago, it treats the farmer in the south as if he's a gang-banger trying to do a drive by.

So you think the rural police far from Chicago are going to be unfamiliar with gun ownership/what happens on farms/small towns away from the populace? You think you will necessarily be locked up if they find a wayward shell? You might want to re-think your logic. It's borderline 'redneck reasoning'. [Hint: be a little more careful with your ****!]

Don't you feel the downstate police are worthy of some degree of protection when the encounter an unsavory individual associated with a meth-lab operation?

Quote:
advancedsearch sums it up nicely. Illinois is a big state geographically. The people in the southern part tend to be much different than the people up north. I have friends in the area that lament the liberal school system, in regards to the way it treats LGBT issues. The people here are just much more conservative. You are likely to call us backwards, and stupid, etc...maybe bigoted. OK....but that just further demonstrates the divide.
Yes. Time to update the way you treat people.

Quote:
There are other issues, as well. A friend of my daughter's is hearing impaired. It would be nice if the state allowed the local school district more freedom in taking care of special needs like that, but a lot of the rules are made by the centralized government. It just causes headaches.
Anecdotal, and really does not have to do with what Chicago says or does. Understand, there are parts of Chicago/suburbs with parents who are equally unhappy with a particular rule concerning special education/services. The schools/parents involved sometimes have to get more creative.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:30 PM

4,415 posts, read 2,937,322 times
Here is an illinois violent crime rate map.

http://www.countyhealthrankings.org/...factors/43/map

Here is a chicago crime rate map.

Chicago Police Department CLEARMAP - Crime Summary

As you can see, Downstate is as dangerous or more dangerous than Chicagoland. Also, most of the crime is in neighborhoods on the south side, while the rest of the city is pretty safe.

Old 08-23-2018, 03:45 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,004,377 times
Quote:
So you think the rural police far from Chicago are going to be unfamiliar with gun ownership/what happens on farms/small towns away from the populace? You think you will necessarily be locked up if they find a wayward shell? You might want to re-think your logic. It's borderline 'redneck reasoning'. [Hint: be a little more careful with your ****!]
It really depends on the individual cop, and perhaps the day he/she is having.

Having said that, I'm sorry--I'm not used to having to produce a FOID card to even pick up a shotgun in a store. Or to even buy a box of .22 LR ammo. That just strikes me as wrong.
Quote:

Don't you feel the downstate police are worthy of some degree of protection when the encounter an unsavory individual associated with a meth-lab operation?
because meth-heads obey the law in regards to guns?
Quote:

Yes. Time to update the way you treat people.
Or maybe the people up north should not dictate to the small towns how we educate our children. And maybe it shows that you think your view is best, and we don't. And that's the divide. So please stop trying to force your views on the rest of the state.
Quote:

Anecdotal, and really does not have to do with what Chicago says or does. Understand, there are parts of Chicago/suburbs with parents who are equally unhappy with a particular rule concerning special education/services. The schools/parents involved sometimes have to get more creative.
It demonstrates that maybe a local approach to education and government is best. And that's really all I'm arguing.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:28 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,247,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Having said that, I'm sorry--I'm not used to having to produce a FOID card to even pick up a shotgun in a store. Or to even buy a box of .22 LR ammo. That just strikes me as wrong.
This just proves you are a special snowflake.

Quote:
because meth-heads obey the law in regards to guns?
Of course they have little regard for human life. You should be glad there are laws in place to help law enforcement deal with these violent individuals.

Quote:
Or maybe the people up north should not dictate to the small towns how we educate our children. And maybe it shows that you think your view is best, and we don't. And that's the divide. So please stop trying to force your views on the rest of the state.
If your local property taxes aren’t paying all the bills, expect a little bit of accountability to keep religion at home and evolution in the schools.

Quote:
It demonstrates that maybe a local approach to education and government is best. And that's really all I'm arguing.
This depends on whether or not it’s a reasonable solution or some sort of whackadoodle religious dogma being introduced as fact.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:18 AM

Quote:
This just proves you are a special snowflake.

No. It proves I used to live in a state that had less crime, and had a reasonable view that gun ownership does not mean criminal.

Quote:
Of course they have little regard for human life. You should be glad there are laws in place to help law enforcement deal with these violent individuals.
Except for allowing people to protect themselves. Unless they jump through a series of hoops, none of which the meth heads bothered doing.
Quote:

If your local property taxes aren’t paying all the bills, expect a little bit of accountability to keep religion at home and evolution in the schools.

It's interesting. I didn't mention religion or evolution. You assumed that. That is further evidence of the divide. You apparently think you're smarter than the rest, and us ignorant hicks down south just want to teach our kids about guns and God.

We like science, too. And we even realize the earth is round!
Quote:

This depends on whether or not it’s a reasonable solution or some sort of whackadoodle religious dogma being introduced as fact.
Again...no one mentioned religion. But it is interesting that a northerner like you apparently thinks that's all we want.

Just stop it, please. Your values are not our values, and our values are not your values. But instead of agreeing to live and let live, you insult, mock, and accuse.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:30 PM

6,359 posts, read 8,824,213 times
This thread brings up a question for me:

I've already brought up the U of I and how heavily its enrollment is made up of Chicago area kids. Illinois is our state's flagship public university.....but Chicagoland students don't go there because it is located downstate (interestingly, back many years ago, U of i was referred to as "downstate" in the Chicago area, as in "I'm going downstate next year')...they're there for the school.

The University of Illinois system is made up of three institutions, one relatively small (UIS) and two large universities (Illinois, UIC).

I've already discussed that a huge number of Chicago area kids go to Illinois. And, being there, they build up some familiarity to downstate IL.

But is there any "reverse" on this? UIC, by virtually all measures, is the state's second highest ranking public university and, I believe, the second largest in enrollment of our state schools. My question is this: how much is UIC an attraction for students in downstate IL? On this one, I have no idea, but given that the school has a very good reputation, that it is located in Chicago, a global city of renown, and gives downstate kids the opportunity to go to such a school with the relatively low in-state tuition...it would seem to me that UIC should be a popular choice of IL kids away from the metro area (but frankly I don't believe that it is, that that many downstaters are attracted to it).

I guess I'm suggesting that through Chicago kids going downstate (Champaign, Normal, Carbondale, etc.) and through downstate kids coming to the Chgo Area for school (UIC foremost, of course,but even schools like NEIU), do we build any sort of bonds between metro Chicago and the rest of the state.

Old 08-25-2018, 12:49 PM

4,675 posts, read 7,397,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edsg25 View Post
This thread brings up a question for me:

I've already brought up the U of I and how heavily its enrollment is made up of Chicago area kids. Illinois is our state's flagship public university.....but Chicagoland students don't go there because it is located downstate (interestingly, back many years ago, U of i was referred to as "downstate" in the Chicago area, as in "I'm going downstate next year')...they're there for the school.

The University of Illinois system is made up of three institutions, one relatively small (UIS) and two large universities (Illinois, UIC).

I've already discussed that a huge number of Chicago area kids go to Illinois. And, being there, they build up some familiarity to downstate IL.

But is there any "reverse" on this? UIC, by virtually all measures, is the state's second highest ranking public university and, I believe, the second largest in enrollment of our state schools. My question is this: how much is UIC an attraction for students in downstate IL? On this one, I have no idea, but given that the school has a very good reputation, that it is located in Chicago, a global city of renown, and gives downstate kids the opportunity to go to such a school with the relatively low in-state tuition...it would seem to me that UIC should be a popular choice of IL kids away from the metro area (but frankly I don't believe that it is, that that many downstaters are attracted to it).

I guess I'm suggesting that through Chicago kids going downstate (Champaign, Normal, Carbondale, etc.) and through downstate kids coming to the Chgo Area for school (UIC foremost, of course,but even schools like NEIU), do we build any sort of bonds between metro Chicago and the rest of the state.
It’s not really a big draw from downstate. Most will either go to ISU, which is in most ways comparable to UIC, or to SIUE/SIUC for public universities. The best from downtstate go to UIUC, NU, or U of C, just like Chicagoland if they stay in state.

Also, as addressed earlier, Chicagoland actually doesn’t send an inordinate number of students to UIUC relative to its population. And UIUC is also a a huge international draw as well, diluting Chicagoland numbers further.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 08-25-2018 at 12:58 PM..

Old 08-25-2018, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
It’s not really a big draw from downstate. Most will either go to ISU, which is in most ways comparable to UIC, or to SIUE/SIUC for public universities. The best from downtstate go to UIUC, NU, or U of C, just like Chicagoland if they stay in state.

Also, as addressed earlier, Chicagoland actually doesn’t send an inordinate number of students to UIUC relative to its population. And UIUC is also a a huge international draw as well, diluting Chicagoland numbers further.
My daughter really is not looking at U of I. Sure, it seems like an academically respected school...but it seems to have a reputation as a party school. It's also pretty expensive.

But what are those other schools you are referring to? As a guy that has only lived in Illinois for a year, I don't recognize them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois