Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2018, 07:05 PM

4,418 posts, read 2,944,112 times

Advertisements

Chicago is a world class city, transient, draws people from everywhere, has great jobs, very corporate, has a lot of wealth, and “second city”to New York. It just happens to be in Illinois.

Downstate Illinois is just small town fly over Midwest. They are nothing alike.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2018, 10:28 PM

4,087 posts, read 3,244,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
You nailed it. I live in the southern tip of Illinois. Throw a rock south from here and it will land in Kentucky. We are closer to Atlanta than we are to Chicago and yet we have to live with the high taxes and the stupid big city rules because of Chicago.
Interesting history how Chicago, Rockford and Galena ..... were in Wisconsin territory and WERE NOT to be part of Illinois originally.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article189027119.html

Another link titled -- Downstate hate: A history of the bitter, nearly 200-year rivalry between Chicago and the rest of Illinois. The animosity between Illinois's largest city and its smaller towns is almost as old as the state itself.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=34519694

More thorough read on Northern Illinois to be Wisconsin's. Even southern Illinois originally held all the debt.

The long-forgotten story of how northern Illinois almost became a part of Wisconsin | Applesauce

I believe .... yes, Chicago should have be part of Wisconsin. Wisconsin is Chicago's playground even today. Even a tad more respect.......

Old 08-14-2018, 05:04 AM

4,675 posts, read 7,405,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavePa View Post
Interesting history how Chicago, Rockford and Galena ..... were in Wisconsin territory and WERE NOT to be part of Illinois originally.

https://www.bnd.com/news/local/article189027119.html

Another link titled -- Downstate hate: A history of the bitter, nearly 200-year rivalry between Chicago and the rest of Illinois. The animosity between Illinois's largest city and its smaller towns is almost as old as the state itself.

https://www.chicagoreader.com/chicag...t?oid=34519694

More thorough read on Northern Illinois to be Wisconsin's. Even southern Illinois originally held all the debt.

The long-forgotten story of how northern Illinois almost became a part of Wisconsin | Applesauce

I believe .... yes, Chicago should have be part of Wisconsin. Wisconsin is Chicago's playground even today. Even a tad more respect.......
Most of downstate IL and the majority of WI have more in common than with Chicago. Chicago would be just as out of place in WI.

And further, if you don’t think WI is irked or peeved by Chicago (blah blah blah Chicago’s playground blah blah), then you don’t know much about Wisconsin or haven’t lovingly encountered the term FIB.

Last edited by Maintainschaos; 08-14-2018 at 05:21 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 07:56 AM

4,011 posts, read 4,253,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maintainschaos View Post
Most of downstate IL and the majority of WI have more in common than with Chicago. Chicago would be just as out of place in WI.

And further, if you don’t think WI is irked or peeved by Chicago (blah blah blah Chicago’s playground blah blah), then you don’t know much about Wisconsin or haven’t lovingly encountered the term FIB.

Yes, a certain demographic in WI is mildly annoyed by Chicagoans, but it's mostly the more provincial lot with that 'tude [source: I'm a WI native]

Part of the irony for me has always been that you are more likely to hear complaints from WI residents in areas heavily involved in the tourism/hospitality/service industries. They sometimes forget not to bite the hand that feeds.

Old 08-14-2018, 11:36 AM

Quote:

You infer its something personal? No I was amazed it is FACT that one legislator changed history in gaining the Northern tier from what was Wisconsin territory, for Illinois.

It was about a connection to Lake Michigan and him seeing the future benefits. But politically, this part was AT ODDS politically from the beginning. DID YOU NOTE that this portion of the new Illinois, then voted to succeed? But there vote carried no power.

Illinois gaining the populations in this northern tier .... also delayed and set back Wisconsin's statehood in losing population.

It is history and that is all. But still coincides with.... the still today great divide as noted in post and thread topic. Has nothing to do with big city folk having more in common with Wisconsin or Southern Illinois. Many posted more connections to St Louis and to other states also, by Southern Illinois residents too here.

In my state there is the big city divide from other state regions too. But NO TOTAL DÎSCONNECT as some posted in far southern Illinois. Seems like a LACK OF PRIDE TOO (by some). To have the Nations 3rd largest city in its state border.

I had relatives I visited in Wisconsin when I lived in Chicago. Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton region too. It wasn't a dislike of these Chîcagoland visitors .... it was they looked forward to the quite season again without the tourist.

Last edited by DavePa; 08-14-2018 at 11:47 AM..

Old 08-14-2018, 12:12 PM

Quote:
You infer its something personal? No I was amazed it is FACT that one legislator changed history in gaining the Northern tier from what was Wisconsin territory, for Illinois.

It was about a connection to Lake Michigan and him seeing the future benefits. But politically, this part was AT ODDS politically from the beginning. DID YOU NOTE that this portion of the new Illinois, then voted to succeed? But there vote carried no power.

Illinois gaining the populations in this northern tier .... also delayed and set back Wisconsin's statehood in losing population.

It is history and that is all. But still coincides with.... the still today great divide as noted in post and thread topic. Has nothing to do with big city folk having more in common with Wisconsin or Southern Illinois. Many posted more connections to St Louis and to other states also, by Southern Illinois residents too here.

In my state there is the big city divide from other state regions too. But NO TOTAL DÎSCONNECT as some posted in far southern Illinois. Seems like a LACK OF PRIDE TOO (by some). To have the Nations 3rd largest city in its state border.

I had relatives I visited in Wisconsin when I lived in Chicago. Wisconsin Dells/Lake Delton region too. It wasn't a dislike of these Chîcagoland visitors .... it was they looked forward to the quite season again without the tourist.
I'm not sure what most of this means...

In my opinion as a former resident of downstate IL, of WI, and of Chicago, there is a rural/urban divide in WI just as in IL (although not as stark), and WI residents would be just as irked if Chicago were inside WI and they had to deal with both the good and the bad (including anger/disconnect/lack of pride) associated with having such a large metropolitan area within their political boundaries...

Old 08-14-2018, 12:28 PM

Quote:
I'm not sure what most of this means...

In my opinion as a former resident of downstate IL, of WI, and of Chicago, there is a rural/urban divide in WI just as in IL (although not as stark), and WI residents would be just as irked if Chicago were inside WI and they had to deal with both the good and the bad (including anger/disconnect/lack of pride) associated with having such a large metropolitan area within their political boundaries...
Like I said .... it is just history. The links were to be proof.

As for Chicago fitting more in with Wisconsin? Well it was part of its territory before statehood came for Illinois first. Wisconsin has a Chicago mini-me in Milwaukee too.

Few post are complementary to Chicago from .... dare I say. Down under. Just the perfect thread to interject that tidbit of history I did. The links speak of THE GREAT DIVIDE from the start. Especially a vote to succeed that won. But had no power.

Old 08-14-2018, 01:07 PM

Quote:
As for Chicago fitting more in with Wisconsin? Well it was part of its territory before statehood came for Illinois first.

Few post are complementary to Chicago from .... dare I say. Down under. Just the perfect thread to interject that tidbit of history I did. The links speak of THE GREAT DIVIDE from the start. Especially a vote to succeed that won. But had no power.
But prior to Illinois achieving statehood in 1818, "Chicago" was barely even a few hundred people...there was no real Chicago to speak of, so it's sort of a non-fact non-divide back then, especially compared to the Chicago, Illinois of present day.

Old 08-14-2018, 02:27 PM

Quote:
But prior to Illinois achieving statehood in 1818, "Chicago" was barely even a few hundred people...there was no real Chicago to speak of, so it's sort of a non-fact non-divide back then, especially compared to the Chicago, Illinois of present day.
True, why that legislator was a visionary in seeing a lucrative asset that Lake Michigan frontage would be evolving to. But the history of the divide was the northern tier in general. Noted in the early history that seemed to never really change even as a Chicago evolved.

I doubt little good news from or about Chicago they see or read in far southern IL. They may not get its TV stations? But for WGN that is national.

It's up to those in southern IL to stand-up and boast to have Chicago in there state. Doesn't seem happening in the thread? But then politics is polarizing our nation more and more today and certainly a big factor between these parts of IL today.

Maybe State Pride in IL is weak to begin with? But I'm no local. I really did not think of the state when I lived in Chicago. The city flag is even more prominent today with the Stars and Stripes. More then most big city's with their flags.

I always heard more on a weekend in Wisconsin to Michigan too.... over one southward. Like New Yorkers to Northeastern PA into the Pocono's.

Old 08-15-2018, 11:15 AM

198 posts, read 235,986 times
Quote:
It's up to those in southern IL to stand-up and boast to have Chicago in there state. Doesn't seem happening in the thread? But then politics is polarizing our nation more and more today and certainly a big factor between these parts of IL today.

I really did not think of the state when I lived in Chicago. The city flag is even more prominent today with the Stars and Stripes. More then most big city's with their flags.
As a lifelong IL resident, "Chicago" has never been anything but an afterthought to me. What would anyone living outside Chicago have to "boast" about? Maybe the $30 parking and threat of parking tickets and red light or speeding tickets every time I visit? The traffic is awful, everything is super expensive, the crime is out of control, and all of the exclusive attractions the city has which amount to basically a few museums, can be experienced once and then forgotten about forever.

Chicago and Illinois do indeed have a big divide. The people who live in or love Chicago want nothing to do with Illinois, and those living outside the city and inner suburban rings, want nothing to do with Chicago. The city is it's own entity, and it would find no loving home in any state in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Illinois