Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider Indiana to be the eastern Midwest/eastern cornbelt?
I would say Ohio is the eastern limit to the Midwest though Indiana is also not too far from the border 7 50.00%
Indiana is in the eastern corn belt but I still wouldn’t consider anything in the Midwest as “Eastern” 2 14.29%
No. Indiana is the stereotype of what defines the Midwest, there’s nothing remotely eastern about Indiana 6 42.86%
Other option/opinion(please explain why you voted this option in the poll 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2021, 11:08 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,294,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Pittsburgh is the most eastern Midwest city.
Pittsburgh in the Midwest? I've seen it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2021, 12:48 PM

253 posts, read 199,365 times
I always hated how the Midwest includes the great lakes region.
Nebraska looks more like plains Colorado than anything over here.
Yet it's clumped with us.

I feel midwest is the most diverse of the designated geographics.

Old 11-29-2021, 01:47 PM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago-guy View Post
I always hated how the Midwest includes the great lakes region.
Nebraska looks more like plains Colorado than anything over here.
Yet it's clumped with us.

I feel midwest is the most diverse of the designated geographics.
The median center of population in the Midwest is Illinois. The western halves of the Dakotas, Nebraska, and Kansas belong grouped with the western US. They are far too dry, population density much too low, and much more remote (between sizable cities), to have anything in common with the Midwest.

Old 11-29-2021, 09:54 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,952,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
Well it is not northeast, thats for sure.

Old 11-30-2021, 02:59 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isleofpalms85 View Post
Would you consider Indiana the eastern Midwest and if not then why?
Absolutely NOT!
Indiana has some hills in the south going down to the Ohio River, but otherwise a stable piece of land.
You're thinking of Ohio where it meets Appalachia in the south, Pennsylvania in the east and a big chunk of Lake Erie to the north.
That should have been the last state for the BIG 10.......

Old 11-30-2021, 03:03 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,403,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
And Penn State in the Big Ten
And now it's gone to the Mid-Atlantic too

Old 12-01-2021, 06:15 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
There seem to be a change in accent and mentality when you go from OH into PA / W NY or from WV into MD or most of VA. Even all of OH is certainly Midwestern, IN is for sure core Midwest. Parts of SE IN (basically all the Louisville KY TV market counties) have a lot of Mid South influence, in some areas more dominant than Midwestern culture. But the percent of IN's population there isn't huge. Basically all the Midwestern states bordering KY have some more Mid South areas that aren't major population centers to sway the whole state into a different category.

Old 12-02-2021, 06:40 AM

26,421 posts, read 46,591,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
There seem to be a change in accent and mentality when you go from OH into PA / W NY or from WV into MD or most of VA. Even all of OH is certainly Midwestern, IN is for sure core Midwest. Parts of SE IN (basically all the Louisville KY TV market counties) have a lot of Mid South influence, in some areas more dominant than Midwestern culture. But the percent of IN's population there isn't huge. Basically all the Midwestern states bordering KY have some more Mid South areas that aren't major population centers to sway the whole state into a different category.
I think you mean Upper South influence, Mid South would be even further south geographically. Louisville with its massive urban heat island certainly has a climate these days that is very southern, whereas if you go to an elevated area outside the city it is 8-10F cooler across the board and not quite as southern.

Old 12-04-2021, 08:09 AM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Well it is not northeast, thats for sure.
Pittsburgh is most definitely a northeast city. PA is a northeast state. And the culture of the Pittsburgh area is more like areas further east than west. Having grown up in New England and also having spent a lot of time in NY it is evident that Midwest starts in OH, not western PA.

Old 12-04-2021, 10:24 AM

9,532 posts, read 16,522,023 times
Why is most of Indiana on Eastern time? Does that make the state Eastern or Midwestern? I never understood how what region a state is considered to be developed. Even part of Florida which is definitely East Coast is in Central Time. I would consider Indiana to be part of the Central US which is the Midwest.

I definitely would not consider PA the Midwest. Be it Pittsburgh or any other community in that state.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana