Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 07:45 AM

4 posts, read 12,573 times

Advertisements

hi Pat,

saw your post and thought I'd just add a little something to the mix here. we relocated to Logansport over a decade ago and there has been one very distinct hurdle to overcome since being here. there is a cliqueishness that exists that is very hard to deal with. I really thought being involved in my childs school and church and work would help, but it never really came to pass. oh people are friendly enough, but there is an arms distance sort of attitude because we weren't born & raised here. it's been really hard to define and understand.

if you're in the "right" organizations and clubs, I'm sure that isn't a problem. but if you're not, well then be prepared to just have a lot of acquaintances and no real friendships.

there is truth in everything that has been posted here. there are some positive things going on in Logansport right now. but we can't ignore the negative things either. we don't do too well with our kids in school right now. we have trouble passing standardized tests. and kids who do have a future, really don't see themselves spending it here. they envision themselves moving to another city with more opportunities. most folks travel to other cities to do their shopping & dining out because it's rather limited in that sense as well. most folks here work two jobs in order to support themselves. something I never thought I'd have to do, but do it I must in order to pay the bills. high paying jobs are a rarity in Logansport, unless you're in the upper eschelon.

it's a mixed bag really. I appreciate the fact that I don't have to worry too much about crime like I did in my former place of residence. but I will admit that I miss having the friendships and close associations that I did before we moved here. so if you're ok with that, then I say, come on to Logansport. but if you'd like a little more than that, and more variety when it comes to choices in everyday life, then you'd probably be happier in a city that can offer more. and if you're from the Chicago area, you will notice the difference immediately. the choices are very limited.

Old 02-22-2007, 11:41 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times
just when Logan starts to gain upward momentum, it takes a slide back. Guess you either have to love it or leave it.

Maybe I better take a trip up there with my camera, shoot some pics, talk with different folks who live there, ask for honest opinions about the place and then I can come back and summarize the results.

Old 02-22-2007, 12:26 PM

12 posts, read 41,659 times
If you want pictures, I have tons!!

I always have my camera with me and frustrate my 5-year-old to no end with all of the stops I make to take pictures.

I could also provide a brief checklist of people that would be good to talk to - from the Mayor of Logansport, business owners, Chamber of Commerce, development groups, and so on.

Let me know if you're interested!

Old 02-22-2007, 01:16 PM

I'd rather do my survey in cognito so people don't know who they are talking to and will give more honest and forthright answers. as for talking with the Mayor of Logan, I think I'd learn more from talking with one of the city sanitation workers who won't be inclined to brag about the fine job he's doing and the direction he believes the town is heading. I believe in a true 'grass roots' survey where things are happening in the real world. Nothing candy coated and just tell it like it is.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 02-22-2007 at 01:29 PM..

Old 02-22-2007, 02:42 PM

Our mayor wouldn't brag about anything. He refers to all accomplishments as team efforts. He's an all around great guy - honest, and genuinely interested in improving the community instead of making himself look good.

I did forget to mention something else that will be new to Logansport. Land along US 24/35 (known as the Hoosier Heartland) has been donated for construction of a new Ivy Tech campus.

Old 02-22-2007, 02:57 PM

okay Judi, I'll be up there to check things out. is there a pub in Burrows that I can stop at to break up the monotony of the trip?

Old 02-22-2007, 08:45 PM

18 posts, read 86,054 times
Not from here, Sorry to here from you that you can't make friends, especially after ten years. After moving back from Indianapolis a few years ago, I found it hard not to make friends in Logan. ( Yes like hundreds of young people that left town out of College, we are all moving back) It's a right of passage, All young people want to move away and see the world for awhile. it's been happening for thousands of years....everywhere.

But then again, I do have to say that after moving back here, I put the effort into joining different groups and organizations, because I wanted to be apart of the community.

There are alot of groups and organizations ( Dozens) in the commuity that would be glad to have you participate. Call me and I can help you choose what organization may suit your needs and I'll give you all the info . 574-753-4595-ext 1

A community will only give back what you put into it. And it sounds like you would have alot to give.

Old 02-23-2007, 05:10 AM

4 posts, read 12,573 times
Well thanks Kado, but you know, I'm already involved in several organizations. And other than attending meetings and working on projects with these people, there isn't much else. I'm involved heavily in my childs school and PTA, Childrens Church & youth group, a mentor for Kids Hope, Relay for Life and on and on. It just doesn't seem to make a difference. While other people are getting together for lunch or whatever, I'm usually not invited. Like I said, arms length. If you don't graduate from LHS, you're just not part of the social scene here. And you know, it's ok. That's life in Logan for outsiders.

I do have a lot to give and I give it on a daily basis. I'm a good solid citizen who cares about the community in which I live and want to make a difference. Unfortunately, I just don't have the right credentials.

Take Care.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:05 AM

Not from here - I grew up in Cass County and also lack lunch invitations. I do have to admit that I typically take lunch later than most and I'm pretty shy, both of which contribute to that. Every situation becomes what you choose to make it. I enjoy spending evenings with my husband and son, so I use my lunch hour as an opportunity to run errands so that my evenings are free. When my son is older and finds out that spending time with mom isn't cool, I'll probably be wishing that I had taken time to develop close friendships.

Old 02-23-2007, 07:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,989 times
Just to add a little more to the mix, let me say that I hope you give Logansport and that lovely home on Bankers' Row a chance.

I am not a resident of Logansport; I live about 25 miles north of town in the next County. I work in Logansport and am involved in several Logansport organizations. I grew up in the community in which I live, and when I was in high school, the only place we had to go for dating or fun was Logansport. The theatres were here, the bowling alleys, the restaurants. After high school I moved away to attend college and live my life, mostly in South Bend and Indianapolis. After 30 years, I chose to come back.

I made that decision for many of the reasons you are looking at that lovely house. This is a small community. There are many opportunities to become involved in civic and historic organizations and the arts. and there are many opportunities to enjoy the pleasures that living in a small community afford.

You make decisions when choosing to live in a small community. You choose to get to know your neighbors and your children's teachers and your fellow parishoners and your grocers. You give up a larger variety of choices when it comes to shopping and entertainment within the city limits.

When I came "home," my first impression of Logansport was that it had endured some serious declines. It had. That's the truth. Another truth is that Loganpsort and Cass County - with the aggressive support of both government and private organizations - is on the upswing. It will take time, but that is true of most small towns across the country.

Kado, Skip and Judi made some valid points and offered some websites that can be viewed. You might also try loganlink.com which will connect you to a wide variety of resources, including local media, civic organizations, human service organizations, business and industry.

I hope you make the decision that is right for you, but understand that if you choose to make that home your own, you are also choosing a community that has the best that any small community has to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana