Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2007, 06:34 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,158,454 times

Advertisements

Judi
what a shame for an old railroad town. Now let's compare Lafayette with Logansport. As many know, Lafayette had a program of railroad relocation going on for approximately 2 decades in order to eliminate all the railroad grade crossings in Lafayette and to run the trains in a designated corridor which did not disrupt vehicular traffic. That program has finally been concluded and there are no trains running across any of the city's streets.

Old 03-01-2007, 06:44 AM

Judi
Another attraction in Logansport was France Park. However I've gotten feedback from several people that the new 'no smoking' rule has caused them to no longer want to visit France Park.

Old 03-01-2007, 07:44 AM

12 posts, read 41,659 times
I don't smoke, so it hasn't been an issue for me at all. In fact, I knew nothing about the ban.

France Park is a great place to go. I haven't camped there in years, but enjoy hiking on the trails. It really is something to look out over the wet quarry and see the silhouettes of the Spoonbill sturgeon. And there aren't many places in Indiana that offer all of the things that France Park can! Swimming, hiking, camping, mountain biking, scuba diving, fishing, etc. You can even enjoy the history of the area by walking on the towpath of the old Wabash & Erie Canal.

Other Logansport attractions include:

Logansport's Dentzel Carousel - you can truly appreciate the beauty of the animals after inspecting the mass produced animals used on carnival carousels. The Dentzel Carousel really is a work of art!

Back to outdoor activities... There are trails within Logansport along the Wabash and Eel Rivers - the Little Turtle Waterway on the Wabash, and River Bluff Trail on the Eel. A great way to spend time outdoors! Once the weather improves, I've promised to take my son to the waterfall at the old dam.

Visiting Catfish Lake is also a fun trip for teenagers and young adults (because of its paintball fields). You can also enjoy their driving range, and stocked fishing lake.

You can also spend time horseback riding at Crooked Creek Trails.

Logansport also has the McHale Performing Arts Center - something that a community our size is very fortunate to have! The Center is utilized by the High School, the Children's Choir, and several civic groups.

There is easily enough to keep someone occupied during a weekend visit!

Old 03-01-2007, 08:30 AM

I am not a cigarette smoker but I do enjoy lighting up a fine cigar once in a while. Indiana still has smokers and they would like to be able to enjoy the great outdoors like other citizens. They certainly pay enough tax buying tobacco products.

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-01-2007 at 08:46 AM..

Old 03-02-2007, 07:46 AM

2 posts, read 6,353 times
Lightbulb U R All Correct

Interesting reading all of the commentaries and divergent points of view regarding Logansport. being a native of Logansport, but one who left nearly 22 years ago, but still travels to logansport many times a year to see family who still resides there I felt compelled to share the following.

As an insider I can see why their points of view are positive, I grew up there and would not change anything about where and how I grew up. The city parks and the activities that happen in the parks were a young persons paradise, the little league fields and the games played there seemed like a world series in my youth.

The two rivers that snake through the countryside and through downtown create a waterfront that the rest of the world would be envious of (as witnessed by the comments from many of the visitors I have taken there on many of my return trips) although they have never been developed like they would have been in a progressive area.

The neighborhoods are full of tree lined streets with sidewalks where you can still go for a walk and feel a sense of serenity that doesn't exist in much in the hustle and bustle of the more populated urban areas.

All of this being said, the area has been in a long decline symptomatic of many of our small mid-western cities and towns. The downtown has seen many businesses leave and many of the former grand structures have fallen into disrepair or have been torn down only to be paved over as an emty lot.

The jobs that used to be plentiful have moved away and there is only a hand full of quality employment opportunitites left. House prices are affordable but this is due more to a depressed economy than a low cost of living.

In all, if you live there or once did, like me...you have good memories. However, if you have been around and have lived in other more progressive areas you would probably not consider moving there.

Old 03-02-2007, 09:49 AM

bryon1959
very well said and I can appreciate where you're coming from. Friends of mine who grew up there echo the same sentiments.

where else could anyone who is considering relocating to Logansport quickly get the kind of candid and in-depth info about the city which is available on this Forum?

Last edited by Southside Shrek; 03-02-2007 at 10:32 AM..

Old 03-02-2007, 01:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,353 times
Smile southside shrek

Your question as to where someone can get such candid information is right on the mark. I stumbled onto this site by mistake only earlier this morning and will make it a place I check out frequently...

And I will be in the old town this weekend for some of the things that i did not mention in my first posting but they should be on a historic map of the world not just the state...

Amelios meatball sandwiches and Brunos pizzas...and then in the summer we have the B&K and the custard stand.

and a good cold beer at the R bar.

Old 03-02-2007, 03:12 PM

Speaking of meatballs. I have gone to a lot of different restaurants and places looking for good Italian style meatballs but always came up short until yesterday. Stopped by Costco's on N. Michigan Road in Indy and got a bag of Kirkland Italian style meatballs. they are great!!! I challenge any Italian chef to make better meatballs than Kirkland's.

Domergurl never mentioned all the super food you can find at Costco in Indy.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:22 AM

52 posts, read 188,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
Speaking of meatballs. I have gone to a lot of different restaurants and places looking for good Italian style meatballs but always came up short until yesterday. Stopped by Costco's on N. Michigan Road in Indy and got a bag of Kirkland Italian style meatballs. they are great!!! I challenge any Italian chef to make better meatballs than Kirkland's.

Domergurl never mentioned all the super food you can find at Costco in Indy.
I may have to check out costco to see if those meatballs can compare to the ones my mom made on Sundays back in the 60's. For a southern cook raised on a farm, her italian cooking was not too shabby. The house would smell good for days. I have tried to recreate the recipe, although I may do alot better with a little less wine during the preparation. Anyone got a good recipe out there. I'd hate to have to drive up to the northside in this weather for a bag of Kirklands.

Old 03-03-2007, 07:26 AM

quicksilverms
the drive up to Costco's is well worth it because those Kirkland Italian style meatballs are the best I've tasted in a long time. while they may not be the same as your mom's, I am sure that you won't be disappointed.

remember me, I am the Italian meatball finder in Indiana and that's a tough task.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana