Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2006, 01:18 AM

5 posts, read 21,999 times

Advertisements

We will be heading out there tomorrow. We'll be staying for the week and checking out some areas. Thanks for the responses and we will keep everyone posted.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2006, 07:25 PM

3 posts, read 10,078 times
Red face Thank You!

I may have to relocate to the Indianapolis area within the next 6 months. Cant wait to read your posts about your visit to Indianapolis and the surrounding area. Wishing you both a great trip..

thefamilyman
George C.

Old 07-11-2006, 01:37 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,169 times
Evansville and Indianapolis are two completely different worlds. To compare the two is silly.
I agree with Debbie Sue: We love the southside. It isn't as congested and hectic as the north but it doesn't have the trendy restaurants or night spots the north side offers.
If you have kids take a look at Greenwood or Perry Twp. in Marion (Indianapolis) County. If you want a day of shopping it is only 25-30 miles away.
And, access to the downtown Indy area is easier from the south!
We moved from Indy last year and yearn for the friendliness of the midwest.

Old 07-12-2006, 06:13 PM

42 posts, read 198,420 times
Default Considering Relocation from Seattle

I just heard from a recruiter about an interesting position located in Indianapolis. I was born/raised in Seattle, and live in So Cal for 7 years. I visited Indianapolis once, for three days, 12 years ago. I liked the city, but haven't spent much time.

Does anyone have suggestions for learning about the various neighborhoods?

My hubbie is employed in biotech. Is there much biotech business for a scientist in the area?

We have a 2yo daughter and hate long commutes. Which areas should we avoid?

Old 07-13-2006, 03:14 AM

5 posts, read 20,112 times
Default response to CJMom

Don't know much about biotech in Indy. Wabash, Indiana is about 2 hours north and a little east of Indianapolis and it is the home to seveal biotech firms. Zimmerman is the one that comes immediately to mind.

Old 07-13-2006, 10:35 AM

2 posts, read 60,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJMom
I just heard from a recruiter about an interesting position located in Indianapolis. I was born/raised in Seattle, and live in So Cal for 7 years. I visited Indianapolis once, for three days, 12 years ago. I liked the city, but haven't spent much time.

Does anyone have suggestions for learning about the various neighborhoods?

My hubbie is employed in biotech. Is there much biotech business for a scientist in the area?

We have a 2yo daughter and hate long commutes. Which areas should we avoid?

To my knowledge, there isn't much of a biotech industry in Indianapolis. The biggest company here is Eli Lilly, a pharmaceutical company.

Being as that you are from Seattle, I have some friends who are also in biotech area and from what i know, Seattle is bustling with biotech companies.

Unless you want to live out aways from Indianapolis.
I could be wrong though.

Old 07-13-2006, 01:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Jones
Don't know much about biotech in Indy. Wabash, Indiana is about 2 hours north and a little east of Indianapolis and it is the home to seveal biotech firms. Zimmerman is the one that comes immediately to mind.
Actually, it's Warsaw and the company is Zimmer ... Warsaw also has 2 other major orthopedic firms ... Biomet & DePuy. Cook Pharmaceuticals is in Bloomington and is expanding (I believe they are owned by Baxter, out of the Chicago area).

Old 07-18-2006, 06:06 PM

5 posts, read 20,112 times
Default domergirl

Thanks for the correction. I was going off of memory, which at my age has become quite defective!

Old 07-20-2006, 10:18 PM

5 posts, read 21,999 times
Default We loved it!

Well our trip was fantastic and we just loved the areas and the people. We visited many different places surrounding Indianapolis and we fell in love with Avon. We are in the process of purchasing a home by Davis home builders. We hope that our home here in California sells quickly so that our transition will go smoothly. What really sold us on the move to Indiana was the friendliness of the people. We were absolutely shocked that people were waving at us as we drove through their neighborhoods. Here in Southern California, people are locked up behind their gated communities and out in public, they are in such a rush they don't have time to be friendly. The whole way of living seemed so nice and serene. We are really looking forward to the move.

Old 07-21-2006, 02:29 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markandbriza
Well our trip was fantastic and we just loved the areas and the people. We visited many different places surrounding Indianapolis and we fell in love with Avon. We are in the process of purchasing a home by Davis home builders. We hope that our home here in California sells quickly so that our transition will go smoothly. What really sold us on the move to Indiana was the friendliness of the people. We were absolutely shocked that people were waving at us as we drove through their neighborhoods. Here in Southern California, people are locked up behind their gated communities and out in public, they are in such a rush they don't have time to be friendly. The whole way of living seemed so nice and serene. We are really looking forward to the move.
Glad to see you are excited to come here. I have to say though, I'm disappointed that you aren't buying my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana