Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 11:43 AM

29 posts, read 88,790 times

Advertisements

**ATTENTION**
All current owners, those in contract and those considering a Weiss home...
there is a Michigan case going on right now against Weiss homes that will shed light.
One issue involves at least HALF of all homes built by Weiss Homes, regardless of location.
I will share trial details soon...

Old 02-23-2009, 03:53 PM

6 posts, read 33,105 times
Working for my dad's carpentry business, that's all I seem to here nowadays is that nobody builds good homes anymore. Unless you hire the amish, then you won't get a good home.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:52 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,753,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEyes View Post
**ATTENTION**
All current owners, those in contract and those considering a Weiss home...
there is a Michigan case going on right now against Weiss homes that will shed light.
One issue involves at least HALF of all homes built by Weiss Homes, regardless of location.
I will share trial details soon...
Please, any details need to be shared via a link to information ... no axegrinding.

Old 02-24-2009, 06:43 PM

domergurl,

Sorry if it sounded like axgrinding; I am not. Berrien County trial is set for May, but no link is available since they do not post online. Info should be accessible at the courthouse under Freedom of Information act.

There may soon be news aired in regard to Weiss. I can say one serious issue involves insulation, or lack thereof.

Old 02-25-2009, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEyes View Post
domergurl,

Sorry if it sounded like axgrinding; I am not. Berrien County trial is set for May, but no link is available since they do not post online. Info should be accessible at the courthouse under Freedom of Information act.

There may soon be news aired in regard to Weiss. I can say one serious issue involves insulation, or lack thereof.
Just keep us posted ok?

Old 02-26-2009, 08:03 PM

Unless somebody gags me, you'll hear plenty. Chances are you'll see it too.

Old 03-01-2009, 11:14 PM

3 posts, read 7,271 times
It's unfortunate that experiences like the ones some of you have shared taint the industry in which I work. I am a fourth generation home builder located in the Michiana area, and some of us stand on our quality and reputation!

Old 03-02-2009, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIBuilder View Post
It's unfortunate that experiences like the ones some of you have shared taint the industry in which I work. I am a fourth generation home builder located in the Michiana area, and some of us stand on our quality and reputation!
Yes ... you are right, which is why I am insisting that they stick to the facts, documents, etc.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:42 AM

291 posts, read 949,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBIBuilder View Post
I am glad to hear that. Not too many builders can say that and then follow up on that as well.

Of course I can not name one builder who would say otherwise. The problem is with controlling the workmanship of all the subs. I always thought of Weiss as being a decent builder. I think they have every intention of standing behind their name as well. I think for the most part they do. The problem occurs when builders spread themselves thin over such a large territory that it is difficult to control everything that goes on. "You are only as good as the people you surround yourself with." Subs come in do their job. The next sub comes in and does their thing. If there are any mistakes and one of the subs is the drywaller and he covers something up that is incorrect, the problem could go undetected until it is too late. The drywaller has no idea if something is wrong unless it is something he is familiar with. This is just one scenario. There are many more scenarios dealing with other subs.

In my opinion, the best way to prevent mistakes is to insist on inspections after each sub is finished with their work. No other work should take place until then. Of course this slows the process down tremendously. It is also difficult to prevent subs from coming in and working when they notice the job is ready. It comes down to the builder to control this. It also falls on the responsibilty of the buyer to inspect the house daily and stay in contact the builder every step of the way. Ask questions of the builder and all the subs working on the house. Most subs workers hate answering questions (dealing with buyers), but that should not stop the q's. Deal directly with the builder if that occurs.
(If you go in to see the doctor for a cold and the nurse brings in anesthesia, would you let them sedate you?)

I would like to think that no builder intentionly sets out to screw the customer. Talk to your builder. Question any and everything that you do not understand. Good luck one and all!

Peace,
wc@h

Old 03-02-2009, 12:16 PM

74 posts, read 200,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West coast at heart View Post

In my opinion, the best way to prevent mistakes is to insist on inspections after each sub is finished with their work. No other work should take place until then. Of course this slows the process down tremendously. It is also difficult to prevent subs from coming in and working when they notice the job is ready. It comes down to the builder to control this. It also falls on the responsibilty of the buyer to inspect the house daily and stay in contact the builder every step of the way. Ask questions of the builder and all the subs working on the house. Most subs workers hate answering questions (dealing with buyers), but that should not stop the q's. Deal directly with the builder if that occurs.
(If you go in to see the doctor for a cold and the nurse brings in anesthesia, would you let them sedate you?)

I would like to think that no builder intentionly sets out to screw the customer. Talk to your builder. Question any and everything that you do not understand.
The biggest problem I see with that is that most track builders (in many cases) do not even have a buyer at the start of construction and may not have one until it is nearly finished or completed. This prevents the potential home buyer from being involved in the process. At the most a buyer is involved in upgrades they want after the fact. Several of my neighbors and people I know and even some friends are in the construction/remodeling business and they will tell me that in general the customer has no idea what they are looking at when it comes to the actual work being performed. Although there are many good and honest contractors out there, there are still many individuals that take advantage of this which in turn leaves a dark shadow over those that want and do the job correctly. And as you stated sometimes it is the subcontractors that are the worse at this knowing that the general contractor is stretched to thin to be involved in every aspect of the job at hand. Unfortunatly this is usually caused trying to make the money when the market is there and many good contractors lose sight in how they got to where they are today, with good quality and service. It is sometimes hard to blame someone for making money when the opprotunity presents itself knowing how the economy has been over the last couple of decades with all the ups and downs.

It is also the responsibility of the buyer to educate themselves as much as possible before they make the largest single purchase of their lives in most cases. That is a problem these days, when most people want something they don't take the time to educate themselves first all they know is that they want it now so when problems arise they feel the need to place blame on everyone else but themselves.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana