Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 12:26 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times

Advertisements

This thread is teetering toward axe grinding ... fair warning.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:05 PM

29 posts, read 88,800 times
Domergurl...no axe grinding here, only facts (most of which have already been entered into court docs). This thread began with a person who didn't know much about Weiss Homes and asked for our experiences. In my case, certain issues are likely to be considered relevant to many people. This is why I am sharing them here.

My comments are factual. Nevertheless, I am willing to let the court pass final judgement.

Please forgive me Domergurl if you didn't mean me. I understand your situation had a bad turn to it. I hope to avoid the same circumstance which is why I have avoided axe grinding.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:16 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,756,420 times
I know X-ray ... I know ... just doing my job.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:06 PM

There is a hearing set for 4/13 at 2:30 in St. Joseph, MI in regard to the license status of Weiss Homes in Michigan. The licensing of its salespeople with regard to residential builder services will also be discussed.

Michigan law states Acceptance or performance of a contract procured ny a salesperson not licensed under a builder or contractor is prohibited. (R 338.1536)

This is not a closed hearing which means the general public is permitted to attend.

Old 03-26-2009, 05:08 PM

I meant to say that R 338.1536 applies to brokers' salespersons. They are not licensed under a residential builder or contractor since the two are governed by two entirely different codes in Michigan law.

Old 04-18-2009, 06:16 PM

4 posts, read 10,486 times
How did the hearing play out? Is Weiss able to build in Michigan?
No work has been done on my home this week and I am wondering if
this is because of the hearing out come.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,274 times
Angry Me To

I have recently built with Weiss homes and everytime the weather get really cold -10 and windy frost apears on the drywall on the inside of my house and melts down the wall. I would be interested in joining the class action lawsuite

Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEyes View Post
Here's the deal with insulation. I am going to explain first what has been done in my house and then share what I have found recently.

I have a half built house. It has been that way since December 2007 when Weiss ceased construction. (It is a little complicated, but a trial is set in berrien County for May 19 this year.) My contract says I will have 2x4 wall construction with R13 batt. It goes on to describe the rest of the wall construction including 1/2" styrofoam sheathing. Finally, it promises I will have exterior walls with R19. I do not.

In fact, I am led to believe no one in the last 10 years has R19 exterior walls. Yes, I know this could be 1500 homes. follow me here.

I have knocked on a few doors and met some other Weiss owners. I saw their contracts and their homes. The basic clause in the Weiss contract appears not to have changed since at least 1998; they all promised R19 exterior walls. They all used 2x4 construction, R13 batt insulation and 1/2" styrofoam sheathing. at best these homes probably have R16. The FTC R-value rule (which does apply to new home builders) says a 10% difference is significant. End of story.

The media is interested in this obviously, but I could use some help. So far, no one I spoke with is very happy with Weiss but I am looking for homeowners who (1) want to consider class action and (2) may be willing to share their home. (brotherskeeper12@yahoo.com)

I cannot comment on SBNflyer. maybe he is a friendly or an employee. Maybe he is authentic. I do not claim Weiss has no happy customers, even if they may be unaware of a breach of contract.

The are several very interesting issues in my case that may apply to others in addition to insulation. For instance, Their Michigan license status is being challenged as well as the licensing of salespeople. In Michigan, a builder's salesperson must be licensed under the builder code (real estate broker code is altogether different). It looks like Weiss has NO builder salesperson licenses. There is a hearing April 13 on these issues. Public is welcome.

Old 05-05-2009, 07:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,230 times
We have a POORLY BUILT WEISS HOME!! They flooded our basement, gave us a $50 giftcard for the hassle, and still have not resolved the problem. They give us the run around and continually try to cover each others butts but get caught up in their own lies! DO NOT BUILd with weiss.

Old 05-09-2009, 11:19 PM

Jury trial is set to begin 5/19/09 in St. Joseph, MI. Meanwhile, the investigation by the State of MI continues...

Injustice anywhere leads to injustice everywhere - Martin Luther King, Jr.

Old 05-10-2009, 10:14 AM

5,696 posts, read 19,157,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XrayEyes View Post
Jury trial is set to begin 5/19/09 in St. Joseph, MI. Meanwhile, the investigation by the State of MI continues...

Injustice anywhere leads to injustice everywhere - Martin Luther King, Jr.
Good luck. I just went to court over a deal in a Weiss home sub. The judge sided with the seller. I put an offer on a home in Northbridge sub in Osceola. The sub is still being built by Weiss. The seller is a employee of Weiss. The sub is built around a superfund site. If I would have known, I never would have put a bid in on the house. The seller claims she didnt know about the superfund site. The sales guy in the model does know. We were only 8 days into the deal when I wanted out. Seller refused to return my earnest deposit, so we went to court. It was clear the seller had been coached and she brought some Weiss people with her. The judge sided with the seller. It was disappointing to loose my deposit, plus all the appraisals but I feel I am a winner because I didnt end up owning a home next to a toxic dump. I think Weiss and its employees are shady. I feel sorry for anyone buying a home in that sub because Im sure they are not told about the superfund site. If they were told and still built a home there, fine but I have a strong feeling buyers are not told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana