Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 12:17 AM

3 posts, read 10,769 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!
I am looking for advice on where to relocate. I have to move somewhere within a reasonable distance from Columbus, IN. I am am a young professional starting a new career, moving back to the US after 3 years in Japan. I have a Japanese fiance, and would like to find an area that is foreigner friendly, has a hip/trendy atmosphere, has lots to offer in terms of outdoor recreation, good people, good restaraunts, and good nightlife. I am originally from the midwest, so weather isnt an issue. I have been living in a shoebox apartment for the past 3 years, so finding somewhere to live with decent amount of space is preferable. Safety is also a big priority, as I have been pumping up how safe the US really is to my fiance (despite all the negative press we get overseas), and would hate to have to eat my words should something happen.. ha ha. I am a HUGE basketball fan, and am really looking forward to getting back to the midwest, and moving to a state that really appreciates basketball.
I appreciate all advice, help, and suggestions!
Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2007, 07:25 AM

14 posts, read 59,480 times
Columbus is pretty small, but it is only about 45 minutes from Indianapolis and around the same distance from Louisville, KY. Both would have the more diverse atmosphere and "social life" you are looking for.

Old 02-19-2007, 07:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,744,693 times
Plus, living in Indianapolis, you'll be in a basketball center. The big 10 tournament and the NCAA tournament are regulars in Indy. Also, you are pretty equidistant to both IU and Purdue and Butler's basketball program is now gaining national prominence. Columbus is nice though. You should check it out just to give it a fair shake.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:10 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,155,961 times
Japandy
move closer to Indy so it will be a win-win situation all the way around.

Domergurl is absolutely correct about the Butler basketball program. There was a time when I wouldn't even consider going to a Butler game but not anymore.

Old 02-19-2007, 08:32 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Fun. Trendy. Columbus (IN).

Three things that don't belong in the same sentence.

I live in Columbus. It's a nice small town geared to young families.

Young, hip urbanites will be bored to tears here.

Quote:
foreigner friendly, has a hip/trendy atmosphere, has lots to offer in terms of outdoor recreation, good people, good restaraunts, and good nightlife
I'm guessing Indy people would recommend the Broadripple area (?). Domergurl shoudl be able to help you out with the commute-time info.

Another option would be to live in Bloomington, home of IU. It's a smaller town though. Commute time to Columbus would be ~30 min. -1 hr. depending on the traffic/road conditions/where one lives.

I would say the two things Columbus has going for it would be proximity to outdoor activities (the state's best hiking, cycling, mountain biking etc are in this area) and it's postion relative to three larger cities (Indy, Louisville, Cincinnati).

Will your wife be working as well?

If she can get a work visa, you could live/work in Columbus (saving commute time) and just plan to spend your weekends "escaping" to larger cities (it's ~4 hrs to Chicago ).

Good luck!

Old 02-19-2007, 09:05 AM

again, live around Indy. they have great sushi at Sakura's around 72nd and Keystone in Indy. That place is always packed and they make your sushi fresh.

Old 02-19-2007, 09:18 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,119,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southside Shrek View Post
again, live around Indy. they have great sushi at Sakura's around 72nd and Keystone in Indy. That place is always packed and they make your sushi fresh.
Actually, you'd be surprised, but fresh sushi is something lil' ole' Columbus has

We have not one, but two Japanese restaurants. One decent, one excellent. Pretty amazing for a town of 39K. We also have a nice Asian market. The proprietress does a fairly good job of covering products from Korea, Japan, India, etc plus some fresh produce.

Now if we could just get Indian, Thai, Vietnamese joints to move to town....

plaidmom<------loves to eat!

Old 02-19-2007, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaidmom View Post
Actually, you'd be surprised, but fresh sushi is something lil' ole' Columbus has

We have not one, but two Japanese restaurants. One decent, one excellent. Pretty amazing for a town of 39K. We also have a nice Asian market. The proprietress does a fairly good job of covering products from Korea, Japan, India, etc plus some fresh produce.

Now if we could just get Indian, Thai, Vietnamese joints to move to town....

plaidmom<------loves to eat!

plaidmom
do they make the sushi fresh while you're waiting at your table eating seaweed with chopsticks? I am not very big on seaweed but I love freshly made sushi.

Old 02-19-2007, 02:28 PM

36 posts, read 214,199 times
You need to live near Indy. Like others have said, what you are looking for doesn't fit into the same sentence with Columbus

Bloomington would be a good choice as well. You are about 45 minutes from Indy on commute time.

Old 02-19-2007, 04:24 PM

3 posts, read 10,769 times
Default Thanks!

Hey everyone! Thanks so much for the information!

I am curious to find out more about the Sushi in Indiana! Also, the news about the hoops has really got me excited! (too bad I will have missed this season by the time I move )

How is the traffic? If I end up living in Indianapolis, what kind of traffic can I expect if I commute south?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana