Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2007, 07:52 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHICAGOLAND92 View Post
Well if in the next 1-5 years the city had one of the best public school systems (for example) in the Midwest or country, would you still mind paying high taxes?

If nothings being done to improve the city, yet you're paying skyrocketed taxes, you should question the person in office. Where is the money going, How is it helping the city, etc.

People tired of high taxes should form a group and protest
Hey Chicaco, I fully agree with you. That is what's going on in Marion County, high taxes, terrible school system (I hope I'm not making anyone upset but the IPS schools are horrible in my opinion), average to below average roads, it's hard to justify the high property tax, I really can't think of where the money is going. I wouldn't have a problem if the schools were great and I could see where the money is going, heck I might even live down there as I really do like the city. We really should form a group and question the mayor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2007, 09:04 AM

2,156 posts, read 11,153,738 times
X-Greensboro
I am all in favor of forming a group.

Old 07-16-2007, 07:26 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Okay Southside, shoot. How do we start this thing? I've heard of people protesting at the Circle downtown, and also writing the Indy Star. Any ideas people? Maybe, sign a petition. I've never done anything like this but it's time!

Old 07-17-2007, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
Okay Southside, shoot. How do we start this thing? I've heard of people protesting at the Circle downtown, and also writing the Indy Star. Any ideas people? Maybe, sign a petition. I've never done anything like this but it's time!

right now I am not only wrestling with the high taxes in Marion County but also a high radon level in a home. How can Marion County increase the taxes on a place that also has a lethal level of radioactive gas? They are killing homeowners both ways down there.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:22 AM

Location: Life here is not an Apollo Mission. Everyone calm down.
1,065 posts, read 4,537,150 times
Quote:
Get this, I just ran into another friend who lives in Center Township in Marion county, he said his taxes went up from just under $1600 to almost $7000!!!!! I wish somebody could explain this to me.
$7000 anything in Center township is just plain old theft. Citizens in Indy are being financially raped.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:26 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I was driving up to NC high school yesterday and I get on Meridian at the split. Seeing all the FSBO signs along meridian was eye catching. I have to wonder about the folks who are truly trying to sell. I don't know if I'd be happy about all these fake for sale signs as a form of protest, but hey, more power to 'em. Too bad the folks up in Lake County didn't get this much attention 5 years ago when this doo doo was happening to them.

Old 07-18-2007, 06:36 AM

Quote:
That's very similar to states like NJ, CT, NY or RI. I thought that sort of thing wasn't going to happen in the midwest, I guess I was wrong, don't we pay enough taxes as it is, I'm really sick of it! And what's even more comical is that people are paying that kind of property tax in Marion county but yet the IPS schools aren't even that great to reflect the high taxes, not to mention other deficiencies, where is this money going??
F....O....O....T....B....A....L....L.... The stadium is costing more and more and more....and is already worthless....elsewhere the money will be going:

To pay the remaining lease on the old stadium (isn't it like $75 million?)
The library construction faux pas.
Update sewer system that they have already hiked up the commercial sewage fees (but has construction started yet?)

Bart Peterson treats every bit of incoming money (food and beverage tax for donut counties?) as petty cash and just throws it at the most urgent need. I don't know how the treasurer and controller of Indy gets any sleep!

Last edited by MainStreet; 07-18-2007 at 06:49 AM..

Old 07-18-2007, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Check out INDY UNDERCOVER (broken link) they post protest info.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:09 AM

My gosh!!!! what is all this negativity doing to property values down in Marion County? all the wrong messages are being sent out.

Old 07-18-2007, 08:17 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I think showings are probably on hold!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis