Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 01:32 PM

85 posts, read 216,598 times

Advertisements

So I was in Indy for a job interview recently, and was shocked at the appearance of the bone dry brown grass. I understand there's a drought but it looked like Roundup was just sprayed over the whole city. How much different is this from the normal summer? I've lived in the Midwest my whole life (WI/MN/IL) and have not seen anything this bad. We really like greenery in the summer so that part of Indy was not appealing. Is it usually green there in past summers?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 01:33 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
Totally different. Dont remember anything like this in 35 years.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:46 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Yes, completely different. Indianapolis had the driest June ever with less than a tenth of an inch of rain the whole month. And July was the hottest month ever recorded since records began in 1870. So it's been a summer like we've never seen. Plus the whole area with the exception of Carmel has been under a watering ban for at least a month or longer. So most places aren't allowed to water the lawns anymore.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:11 AM

1,478 posts, read 2,414,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
Yes, completely different. Indianapolis had the driest June ever with less than a tenth of an inch of rain the whole month. And July was the hottest month ever recorded since records began in 1870. So it's been a summer like we've never seen. Plus the whole area with the exception of Carmel has been under a watering ban for at least a month or longer. So most places aren't allowed to water the lawns anymore.
Not only was June the driest June in recorded history, but June-July was the driest June-July as well. The rain in August was too little too late. Still a chance that this will be the driest summer (Jun-Aug) in 80+ years. More than likely at least the driest in the last 45.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:43 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
I remember 3 years ago, we had an incredibly cool summer. The reason I remember is because my garden was fabulous. But it seems like the last 2 have been horribly hot and dry. My poor tomatoes. About the only thing that thrives is my jalapenoes and haberneros ...

When I talk to my good organic farmer friend, she's equally bummed. She has lost a lot of chickens due to heat.

food prices will spike this winter.

Old 08-16-2012, 06:48 AM

891 posts, read 2,451,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dadr View Post
So I was in Indy for a job interview recently, and was shocked at the appearance of the bone dry brown grass. I understand there's a drought but it looked like Roundup was just sprayed over the whole city. How much different is this from the normal summer? I've lived in the Midwest my whole life (WI/MN/IL) and have not seen anything this bad. We really like greenery in the summer so that part of Indy was not appealing. Is it usually green there in past summers?

Actually it has gotten much better in the past 2 or 3 weeks. So you should have been here in mid July - it was really bad then. Now it is much better.

Typically we have a dry spel each summer. Maybe a 5 or 6 weeks period where we get very little rain. Typically it tends to occur from mid July through August.

What made this year so bad was it started May 1st and last through July and those three months are normally our wettest months of the year. Sp there was a huge deficit. Then you add in the abnormally sunny weather - we had day after day or no clouds at all and the extreme heat - we hardly ever have days above 100 - this year we had many and the whole month of July was above 90 - hottest month on record, ever.

So everything was brown and dead.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:25 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,270,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BU191433 View Post
Actually it has gotten much better in the past 2 or 3 weeks. So you should have been here in mid July - it was really bad then. Now it is much better.
This is true. We got more rain last week than we did in May, June, and July combined. So we're seeing a little bit of improvement, such as Hamilton and Boone counties removing their fireworks and burn bans.

Old 08-16-2012, 08:00 PM

934 posts, read 1,442,174 times
Everyone must've enjoyed the endless rain we had today. Felt great!

Old 08-16-2012, 08:04 PM
REM

368 posts, read 995,351 times
Get use to it everyone climate change is real and it's knocking on our doorstep, I only hope it gets worse so brainwashed Americans actually realize that's happening before their very eyes.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:34 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,607,319 times
As I was driving home from work today, I noticed how green everything is getting again. The whole city looks so much better than it did a couple weeks ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis