Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 12:17 PM

6,344 posts, read 11,092,664 times

Advertisements

Aurelios is pretty good. I ate their pizza a couple of times while passing through the Chicago area. A small place on the Indiana side just over the border from Illinois near the Toll Road.

I ate at Lou Malnati's once in 1990 during a trip from the Twin Cities to Hartford. Quite a shock to see what Deep Dish was for the first time. Malnati's will ship pizzas if you crave one and are not near a restaurant. I ordered a few when I lived in Maine about 7 to 8 years go. Came on ice. Better in the restaurant though.

I'm surprised that nobody from Chicago has migrated to Indy to start a real Chicago Style pizza place. Surely there must be a market for it now that Indy is really starting to grow and attract people from all over the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2012, 07:11 PM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Aurelios!!!!!
Can't do Aurelio's. I'm a pizza snob, and I cannot abide cheddar on pizza.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
I'm surprised that nobody from Chicago has migrated to Indy to start a real Chicago Style pizza place. Surely there must be a market for it now that Indy is really starting to grow and attract people from all over the country.
Nancy's tries to do just that, but people in Indy cannot accept that other places are better, and every other city has worse pizza than Chicago, especially New York, so the immigrants to Indy are very provincial in guarding their hometown pride in not embracing better pizza.

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregHenry View Post
Can't do Aurelio's. I'm a pizza snob, and I cannot abide cheddar on pizza.

Nancy's tries to do just that, but people in Indy cannot accept that other places are better, and every other city has worse pizza than Chicago, especially New York, so the immigrants to Indy are very provincial in guarding their hometown pride in not embracing better pizza.

In what respect does NYC have worse pizza than Chicago? Both are very different styles but each is good in its own right if you pick the right place to buy one.

Old 06-01-2012, 08:00 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,537,659 times
Quote:
In what respect does NYC have worse pizza than Chicago? Both are very different styles but each is good in its own right if you pick the right place to buy one.
I like how he calls Indy folks provincial then claims all other pizzas inferior to Chicago.

Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM

7 posts, read 26,195 times
yes, Aurelio's is most certainly behind the cheddar curtain....that sauce and crust deserve worldwide recognition

Old 06-02-2012, 06:32 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
I've never had cheddar cheese on an aurelios pizza! Huh???

The reason why a true chicago pizza chain won't work in Indy (save for Nancy's) is because people aren't willing to pay for it. They'll go to so called gourmet pizza places and pay for those, but a good and simple chicago style pizza.. no way, they'd rather have pizza hut.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:39 AM

Pizza Hut? Ugh. Cheddar on a Pizza is good if used in moderation. I will on occasion even put it on my home made pizzas.

grmasterb. I think he's probably never really tried any good pizza in NYC otherwise he would not make such a statement.

Based upon my personal experiences over the years I cannot say that Indy is all that provincial. Certainly the KC region has been FAR WORSE in that respect.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:54 AM

583 posts, read 884,897 times
Quote:
grmasterb. I think he's probably never really tried any good pizza in NYC otherwise he would not make such a statement.
Please, tell me the place that is the NYC gold standard for pizza.

If you can, please post a photo for analysis.

I keep trying all the big names and come away so unimpressed I'd rather have a Totino's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I've never had cheddar cheese on an aurelios pizza! Huh???
You most likely did. The South Side, for some bewildering reason, adds cheddar to their pizza cheese. You might know Gelsosimo's in NWI. Cheddar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
I like how he calls Indy folks provincial then claims all other pizzas inferior to Chicago.
Sorry, kid. That's the truth.

Quote:
There is no "both." Chicago has three distinct pizza styles, all world best in their class: 1) thin, 2) pan and 3) stuffed.

Last edited by GregHenry; 06-02-2012 at 08:04 AM..

Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Quote:

If you can, please post a photo for analysis.

I keep trying all the big names and come away so unimpressed I'd rather have a Totino's.

You most likely did. The South Side, for some bewildering reason, adds cheddar to their pizza cheese.
I've only had Lake and Porter Counties aurelios ...

Now, I will say that Lombardi's in NYC is most excellent!

Heck, even Ray Bari's in NYC is better than most Indy pizzas ..

Old 06-02-2012, 08:18 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
When we were in NYC, we went to Bella Vita for pizza, the one on W. 58th St.. It was actually better than other pizza we had (two other places). It was tasted really good. It was a little heavy on grease, but that didn't bother me. I don't know what would be a gold standard, but this place had good enough pizza that if I ever go back to NYC, I will definitely get my pizza from this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis