Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityguy1987 View Post
Just found Gino's East frozen pizza sold at Marsh up in Carmel!! It is not as good as eating at the actual resteraunt, but still quite good. I assume other Marsh stores would carry it as well, but I have not checked it out. Def. worth checking it out!
Yes it is much better than any other frozen pizza.

Wouldn't it be great to get a Gino's East location in Indy area, probably Carmel would be best. Since there is no Chicago pizza I think it would really take off.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2012, 11:02 PM

934 posts, read 1,441,873 times
Even though it's not Chicago style, has anyone tried Coal Pizza on Washington? I had the Wild Mushroom, with breadstick and garlic sauce...not bad!

Old 07-21-2013, 02:19 PM

8 posts, read 16,801 times
Default Chicago-style pizza in Indianapolis

I have eaten at every single Chicago-style deep dish pizza in the Indianapolis area. There are a few to avoid. If you see a restaurant called Chicago's Pizza, avoid it. They only named it that because it can't be copyrighted and therefore the name was available to them. Otherwise it is close to a Pizza Hut pizza. I would also avoid Uno's on the south side. Their pizza has declined ever since they got bought out. It i nothing more than a pan pizza now. There are two Union Jacks Pizza locations and they are both good. One is in Speedway near I-465 and the other is in Broad Ripple. Some would say that Ale-Emporium is an authentic Chicago Pizza, but I think it doesn't quite qualify. That doesn't mean you should avoid it, however. It is certainly is thick and good. Nancy's is off 116th St. and I-69. That one offers an authentic stuffed pizza. Roselli's near Zionsville off Michigan Road is also a good one. Finally there is one in Fountain Square called South of Chicago. That one is also good. If you live south of Fountain Square in Indianapolis, you are up the creek as we are. We long for an authentic Chicago pizza place to open on the south side, but I think we are up the creek.

Old 07-21-2013, 02:28 PM

Default I disagree

I disagree because the north side already has three authentic Chicago-style pizza places there. The south side has none - zip. They only have Uno's and after they got bought out their pizzas are nothing but pan pizzas. There is pent-up demand for an authentic Chicago-style pizza on the south side. The best location would probably be at the Southport exit off I-65.

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Yes it is much better than any other frozen pizza.

Wouldn't it be great to get a Gino's East location in Indy area, probably Carmel would be best. Since there is no Chicago pizza I think it would really take off.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:36 PM

I hardly think this pizza joint is appropriate because none of us is going to travel about 140 miles for just a pizza. We are talking about pizza joints in the Indianapolis area. Is there an Aurelios in the Indianapolis area??

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILWRadio View Post
Aurelios is pretty good. I ate their pizza a couple of times while passing through the Chicago area. A small place on the Indiana side just over the border from Illinois near the Toll Road.

I ate at Lou Malnati's once in 1990 during a trip from the Twin Cities to Hartford. Quite a shock to see what Deep Dish was for the first time. Malnati's will ship pizzas if you crave one and are not near a restaurant. I ordered a few when I lived in Maine about 7 to 8 years go. Came on ice. Better in the restaurant though.

I'm surprised that nobody from Chicago has migrated to Indy to start a real Chicago Style pizza place. Surely there must be a market for it now that Indy is really starting to grow and attract people from all over the country.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:40 PM

Default How do you figure?

Being that every single pizza joint that has Chicago deep dish pizza in Indianapolis is still in business after decades proves otherwise. I know a lot of people who would be willing to pay for an authentic Chicago pizza - and do. Some will drive 15 miles from the south side just to get one. Speak for yourself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
I've never had cheddar cheese on an aurelios pizza! Huh???

The reason why a true chicago pizza chain won't work in Indy (save for Nancy's) is because people aren't willing to pay for it. They'll go to so called gourmet pizza places and pay for those, but a good and simple chicago style pizza.. no way, they'd rather have pizza hut.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:44 PM

Since we're talking about Indianapolis area pizza joints, please share with me what exit around Indianapolis we should take to get there. I'll be waiting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitars_ View Post
I grew up in the south suburbs and I think my all time favorite food is Aurelio's pizza. We always had family parties at the Homewood and Frankfort locations. Good times.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:51 PM

Although NBO isn't a stuffed pizza, it certainly has the most ingredients I've ever seen on a pizza. Even thought it isn't deep dish, it probably has about 1 - 1.5" worth of toppings. Southsiders are stuck with this one as the closest to a Chicago style because Uno's only has pan pizzas now. By the way, the son of the owner at NBO has started his own pizza place that is almost identical to NBO a little farther northwest of NBO off Southeastern. It isn't Chicago-style but arguably the best regular pizza in town.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msamhunter View Post
Actually, you can try NBO (New Bethel Ordinary) out in Wanamaker (SE Side) right off of Southeastern. 6lb stuffed pizza is pretty darn good.

Old 07-21-2013, 03:55 PM

Default Not open on Sundays?

I was looking forward to getting a pizza from them and then was shocked to find out they aren't open on Sundays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlreid View Post
honestly, try south of chicago's north of fountain square. It has been packed every time I have been there. Small place, family run. Excellent chicago style pizza. It is so good, I created an account just to write this message

Old 07-21-2013, 04:49 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
I ordered 4 deep dish pizzas from Gino's East a couple of weeks ago. They were delivered overnight frozen, packed with dry ice.

They were sooooo good, and at only $60 total (four pizzas, delivery included) cheaper than Nancy's.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis