Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-06-2013, 03:33 AM

339 posts, read 516,023 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
Wow ... Just wow
I'm imagining BRG thinks billionaires from NYC, Chicago, California will be loading up their wagons with Glen Beck-minted gold coins, protecting them with nothing but the raw power of their 2nd amendment rights, with dreams of Circle City living the only thing giving them the energy to carry them forward.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 04:42 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
I'm imagining BRG thinks billionaires from NYC, Chicago, California will be loading up their wagons with Glen Beck-minted gold coins, protecting them with nothing but the raw power of their 2nd amendment rights, with dreams of Circle City living the only thing giving them the energy to carry them forward.
Know what ... it's ok that he's Indy's biggest cheerleader, although misguided. Life's realities haven't smacked him in the face yet. But he has a plan, folks, he has a plan!

Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,058,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
lol @ the know it all attitude. its starting to get out of hand.
Classic "pot calling the kettle black" scenario here... This is awesome!

Old 05-06-2013, 11:40 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,199,461 times
Quote:
lol @ the know it all attitude. its starting to get out of hand.
its a lot easier to move money across the border to Indiana which is only 20-40 miles away from Chicago than say 1000 miles to Texas or Florida.
Why on earth would billionaires move everything to Indiana of all the states without the tax? Not saying anything bad on Indiana, that's just incredibly random. People who have billions don't sit around thinking of things like that because it's a few miles closer. "No, we shouldn't retire in California, Florida or Arizona to escape the estate tax, lets go to Indiana, it's closer".

Indiana isn't going to get rid of their tax for another 9 years anyway. Illinois has a $4,000,000 exemption on their estate tax with a top 16% rate. Indiana has a $25,000 exemption on their inheritance tax with a 20% top rate. Better not leave anything to anyone in Indiana for the next 10 years....

Old 05-06-2013, 01:41 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,535,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post

Indiana isn't going to get rid of their tax for another 9 years anyway. Illinois has a $4,000,000 exemption on their estate tax with a top 16% rate. Indiana has a $25,000 exemption on their inheritance tax with a 20% top rate. Better not leave anything to anyone in Indiana for the next 10 years....
Actually, the budget that just passed the General Assembly and that is certain to be signed by the governor eliminates the tax retroactive to January 1.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:56 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quote:
4 Million exemption is pocket change to a billionaire. You guys obliviously don't know what kind of resources billionaires have. Tax evasion is as easy as clockwork for a billionaire and now with Indiana not having an Inheritance tax its just another option for the Illinois/Chicago billionaires to move their assets to Indiana before death.
don't try and dispute it cause it can and is being done. not just by billionaires but anyone wealthy too.

Please think about what you've just said here. Read what you wrote: "tax evasion is as easy as clockwork for a billionaire." THAT is the point. Billionaires are NOT looking to move their money to Indiana. There are other, better options for them. Even Mitt Romney had money in Swiss bank accounts and the Cayman Islands. 15 seconds and a google search will give you a list of tax havens, and all of them have more tax advantages than anything Indiana ever could offer.

Last edited by rrah; 05-07-2013 at 05:58 AM.. Reason: missing word

Old 05-13-2013, 11:37 PM

21 posts, read 42,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitch12 View Post

1. Of coarse there is more to do in Chicago. Its 3 times the size of Indy.
2. Besides I have read a few articles in the last few years that argue the authors point to the contrary.
4. be it as it may, opinions are not a good argument for any forum.
5. wether this is true, I really don't know (I'm guessing it's not).
6. The concept of "Happy Hour" really isn't pressent in Indy.
7. certain areas of the Indy culture that seem "click-like"
Did you finish middle school?

Old 05-14-2013, 04:10 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,731,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTruth View Post
Did you finish middle school?
I'm guessing the 12 is their age?

Old 05-21-2013, 02:10 PM

121 posts, read 210,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CirclingLogan View Post
With that being said, the hateful/stupid anti-gay, anti-science type of conservatism is rejected here outright, as it should be.
To all who were confused where "here" was referring to, the "anti-gay, anti-science conservatism" being outright rejected gave away that the statement couldn't have been referring to Indy, since it's quite alive here.

Coupled with the "loads of money" comment, it becomes more clear that "here" was referring to the bay area referenced in the original quote.

Anyway, now that I've met my SO here, I've mostly left the mode of being "single and want to be really creative and edgy and have to move somewhere where everyone is like that". A serious relationship will do that to you I'm less discontent with the city and enjoy a more peaceful life. Once in a while I still like to explore the world on my own and have some me-time.

Old 05-21-2013, 05:17 PM

218 posts, read 462,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiler View Post
"single and want to be really creative and edgy and have to move somewhere where everyone is like that"

Good luck! Such a place doesn't exist.

Will you find places with more "creative and edgy" types than Indy? Absolutely. You'll also find places with considerably less. Those creative, edgy types who remain in the second- and third-tier Midwest cities also can take considerable advantage of the "big fish in the small pond" scenario.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis