Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 02:16 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,280,538 times

Advertisements

Focal point for Mass Ave project: Huge electronic screen | 2012-10-25 | Indianapolis Business Journal | IBJ.com

So many things I don't like about this project. First and foremost in the giant LED video screen that will be 3 stories tall. I wouldn't be opposed to that downtown around Circle Centre or something, but it seems to completely take away from the charm of Mass Ave. They claim it will only be used to display art, but I feel advertisements will come eventually.

Second thing that upsets me is this quote from one of the developers: "I'd love to see some national tenants help solidify the local tenants and help expand the trade area." No, no, no, no, no. The charm of Mass Ave is that you can eat and shop (mostly) without setting foot in a place that has a location outside Indy or the suburbs!

I do like having something here to replace the firestation. And with plans to build up around the tower across the street, Mass Ave could finally feel like one whole, connected street in a few years instead of the giant firestation and condo tower dividing things in the middle. But at least don't let this giant electronic screen stay. What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2012, 03:57 PM

8,988 posts, read 17,327,754 times
As far as the screen, I don't see how this takes anything away from the charm of Mass Ave. I like it. Mass Ave is an art district, a giant art screen belongs there as much as it would anywhere else. I think what takes away from Mass Ave's charm would by an off street fire station chopping Mass Ave in half. Places like Mass Ave could use these types of focal points to accent the street life. There are other art "billboards" on Mass Ave; there is nothing charm robbing about an electronic one.

As far as the design, I like the colors, I like the glass. This isn't a ground breaking design, but for a city that embraces mediocrity and often seems afraid to step outside the box, this is a step in the right direction.

As far as the tenant mix, I always prefer the local businesses in a place like Mass Ave. I don't think a giant art screen robs any charm, I think it enhances it. I do think, dropping an Orange Leaf and McAlister's Deli on Mass Ave, does rob the charm.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:31 PM

1,766 posts, read 3,611,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
As far as the screen, I don't see how this takes anything away from the charm of Mass Ave. I like it. Mass Ave is an art district, a giant art screen belongs there as much as it would anywhere else. I think what takes away from Mass Ave's charm would by an off street fire station chopping Mass Ave in half. Places like Mass Ave could use these types of focal points to accent the street life. There are other art "billboards" on Mass Ave; there is nothing charm robbing about an electronic one.

As far as the design, I like the colors, I like the glass. This isn't a ground breaking design, but for a city that embraces mediocrity and often seems afraid to step outside the box, this is a step in the right direction.

As far as the tenant mix, I always prefer the local businesses in a place like Mass Ave. I don't think a giant art screen robs any charm, I think it enhances it. I do think, dropping an Orange Leaf and McAlister's Deli on Mass Ave, does rob the charm.
I agree with pretty much all of this. The giant screen of art only adds to the uniqueness of the area, in my opinion. I've at least never heard of such a thing in any other city. I don't absolutely hate the idea of national chains, though. I mean MAYBE some extremely unique national concept MIGHT be okay as far as restaurants go, but I do have to say it'd be nice to see something like a 24 hour Walgreens, I suppose. Even some high-end stores that Indy doesn't have like a Ralph Lauren store (think Rodeo Drive type places), but I doubt that is likely.

Old 10-25-2012, 08:39 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,871,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wh15395 View Post
I agree with pretty much all of this. The giant screen of art only adds to the uniqueness of the area, in my opinion. I've at least never heard of such a thing in any other city. I don't absolutely hate the idea of national chains, though. I mean MAYBE some extremely unique national concept MIGHT be okay as far as restaurants go, but I do have to say it'd be nice to see something like a 24 hour Walgreens, I suppose. Even some high-end stores that Indy doesn't have like a Ralph Lauren store (think Rodeo Drive type places), but I doubt that is likely.
I don't like the idea of any chain stores or restaurants in that area. I say keep it local, and unique.

High-end stores I think would be better at Keystone at the Crossing or Carmel.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
I don't like the idea of any chain stores or restaurants in that area. I say keep it local, and unique.

High-end stores I think would be better at Keystone at the Crossing or Carmel.
Well if they did develop high-end stores on Mass Ave., it'd be unique in the sense that no other city in the Midwest has that downtown outside of Michigan Avenue in Chicago. I'd like to see the downtown area compete, in some respects (not surface parking lots), with the suburbs.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:54 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,084,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ischyros View Post
So many things I don't like about this project. First and foremost in the giant LED video screen that will be 3 stories tall. I wouldn't be opposed to that downtown around Circle Centre or something, but it seems to completely take away from the charm of Mass Ave. They claim it will only be used to display art, but I feel advertisements will come eventually.
Unless you are in the inner circle, your comments are null and void. That screen will no doubt be used for ads in the future. The contrasting bright colors, ugh, but in this area, maybe it will work out. It seems comments are about 50/50. Some like it, some don't. Again, since none of us are in the inner circle of the downtown elite (politicians, developers, etc.), our thoughts are irrelevant. Even the residents that live in the area don't get a say unless they are with that popular group. The entire complex is going to be market-rate, no % set aside for lower income this go around. My guess is they want only a certain class of people moving into the area.

It does seem that the powers that be have this Las Vegas/NYC fetish and are hell bent at turning the downtown core into a mini-LV/NYC no matter what the cost.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:16 PM

218 posts, read 463,551 times
Since Indy can't support a Nordstrom downtown, the idea that Gucci or Hugo Bass would locate on Mass Ave seems pretty farfetched to me. It's hard enough getting ultra-high-end brands to locate at the Fashion Mall. There just aren't enough Hoosiers who care about those things, and the ones who do are usually willing to schlep over to Chicago for a weekend to shop the Magnificent Mile.

I'm very VERY down on the notion of even mid-market national chains locating on Mass Ave. It's testament to how clueless the development culture here is that this dude would even suggest that--he (or she) obviously has no clue about what downtown dwellers find appealing about urban living. Probably because this developer lives in the suburbs. The one national chain I can see that might not raise too many objections would be a high-end grocery store.

But chain restaurants on Mass Ave? No thanks. The fact remains that the Wholesale District gets a much higher profile from out-of-town visitors so it should be a preferred site for a major restaurant brand. Mass Ave is already too far out of the way and a lot of tourists aren't aware that it exists. I mean, realistically, if Cheesecake Factory were to locate downtown, why would it choose Mass Ave when there's space on Meridian Street or Washington or Illinois?

Old 10-28-2012, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Since Indy can't support a Nordstrom downtown, the idea that Gucci or Hugo Bass would locate on Mass Ave seems pretty farfetched to me. It's hard enough getting ultra-high-end brands to locate at the Fashion Mall. There just aren't enough Hoosiers who care about those things, and the ones who do are usually willing to schlep over to Chicago for a weekend to shop the Magnificent Mile.
I don't agree with this statement. It's not that Indy couldn't support a Nordstrom downtown, it's that Indy couldn't support a Nordstrom downtown with a second, new Nordstrom at the Fashion Mall.

Old 10-28-2012, 04:02 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,280,538 times
Quote:
I don't agree with this statement. It's not that Indy couldn't support a Nordstrom downtown, it's that Indy couldn't support a Nordstrom downtown with a second, new Nordstrom at the Fashion Mall.
This exactly. I have no idea why Nordstrom thought they could have 2 stores here. Most of the people that shopped at the one downtown were from the northside. So they put one in on the northside giving those people no reason to go to the one downtown anymore.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:05 PM

218 posts, read 463,551 times
Quote:
Point taken--I wasn't precise enough. But does that mean you think downtown can support a Pottery Barn or Restoration Hardware, let alone an Armani Exchange or something like that?

Nothing at all against Indy, but I don't--at least no time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis