Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2012, 08:55 AM

99 posts, read 230,132 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Seymour and have not lived there for 10 years. My husband is from Chicago and we lived 5 years there and have spent the last few in Nashville, Tn. Since we have got older, our priorities have shifted and we want to be closer to family. We are both self-employed , my husband is in the music business and will be going to Nashville 2 days a week and I go to Chicago 1-2 times a month.
We already come home to Seymour once a month for various family visits/on my way to Chicago, so we are very familiar with Columbus, Greenwood and parts of Indy (we go to keystone a lot). What we aren't familiar with is what it's like to live in these areas and how it's changed in 10 years.
We love sports, I grew up with season Colts, Reds and Pacer tickets. Are these still easy to obtain? We are more left then right. We don't have a family, but will be starting one soon and would love to be able to send our child to a private (not super religious) private school. We eat out a lot, can't live without Starbucks and aren't really into the bar scene.
Our first pick is Columbus because I'm super familiar with it, it's right in the middle of Nashville and Chicago, close to our family and friends and since we would only use Indy for entertainment purposes, it would be nice to avoid the traffic.
We can afford 1500-2000 a month. The problem is, I can't find any rentals in Columbus. I am assuming this is due to Cummins. Ideally, we would love to live a few minutes off of exit 68.
Also, I know Columbus has grown in the last 10 years, but has the Fairoaks mall be revitalized? Are there health food stores? Any chance a Trader Joes will be coming soon? And good kayaking spots? Any chance for a Barnes and Noble? Right now, we take this all for granted, so we know there will be an adjustment period.
Thanks for any and all advice!!

Sorry,the title should read" in general"

Last edited by number1coltsfan; 11-11-2012 at 08:56 AM.. Reason: Typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2012, 11:41 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
No Trader Joes ... wish we would get one in Greenwood ... same with Costco. There is a natural food store in Columbus called Natural Choices. Good stuff there. We also have a few green grocers, Double Oak is one, and a co-op is coming.

Fair Oaks Mall ... sigh ... it is what it is ... competing with the outlet mall is hard!

As far as private schools in Columbus ... the only non-religious school is ABC Stewart and that goes to 8th grade. Then it's off to North, East or International for high school.

Check out The Cole Apartments ... brand new. Also, the newly renovated Columbus Inn is very nice as well.

Old 11-11-2012, 11:56 AM

Thanks `Domergurl`! I did see the Cole, but since we are both self-employed, we need 2 offices and would like an extra room for a family addition So, I'm trying to find a house 3/4 bedroom.

That's too bad about Fairoaks. It doesn't sound any better then when I was last there 10 years ago.

How are the public schools?

Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
All 3 of mine attend the public schools here ... all the elementary schools received A's and one middle school received an A as well (the other, a B). I'm very active in their schools, that's the key.

You could talk to a realtor about finding a rental house. My neighbor is a realtor here in town if you want to contact them.

Old 11-11-2012, 12:21 PM

Sure! I would be more than happy to talk to a Realtor!

Thanks!!

Old 11-12-2012, 06:20 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
I can't speak much of Columbus but as for sports, I think Pacers season tickets are still relatively easy to come by, but if they have another playoff run this season like they did last season, they may start to get more difficult to get. But thanks to Peyton Manning and success of the Colts, Indy has shifted to more of a football city. Colts season tickets had a years long waiting list until this year. Now thanks to their 2-14 season last year and the release of Manning, season tickets were easy to get and there was even the threat of game blackouts early this season because tickets were selling so slowly. But at 6-3 with a shot at the playoffs and now that people can see the possibilities of the new team, I think a waiting list will start to build again. So if you want season tickets next year, you may want to get your name on the list soon.

Old 03-30-2013, 08:04 AM

4 posts, read 10,806 times
Just wondering if you had moved yet or not? Didn't want to send a long reply if you had already moved!

Old 03-30-2013, 08:39 AM

Nope, not yet! Still contemplating!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:41 AM

3,004 posts, read 5,151,479 times
Then probably look at franklin
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis