Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2012, 05:15 PM

1 posts, read 3,108 times

Advertisements

In April 2010 I rented a space for $1000 a month for my business and residence. The guy I am renting from never had me sign a lease. I have sent him letters asking if he is going to have me sign one, but I never hear back from him. He came in back on September 14, 2012 and stated he was raising the rent to $1100 a month. Since Indiana law states that if a tenant is on a month to month lease, the landlord must give 30 days notice of any rent increases I began paying the increased amount in November. Unfortunately, my check bounced (the first time it has ever done that in 20 months I have been living here). My landlord called me saying he now has thousands of dollars in late fee's because his mortgage payment did not go through. Then he asked me to send him a new check. I told him the money was in my account to cover the check and that he can cash it, but he said he ran it through twice and needs a new check? According to my bank the check has only been submitted once. My question is, without a signed lease (never had one) do I have to pay the rent my a specific date each month or can I pay it as soon as I have the money to cover it, as long as it is being paid monthly. And, can he evict me if I do not pay the rent by the 10th?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 10:02 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,836,572 times
IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but at this point, I think I'd just cancel the old check and give him a new one as soon as you're able to. I have no clue if he actually could evict you from this, but even if he can, I doubt he will provided you pay him reasonably soon. Eviction is going to be much costlier for him from a time/money lost standpoint than just dealing with it.

I'm trying to decide if you should really push for a lease or if you benefit from not having one, but I can't decide/don't know the legal implications.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

144 posts, read 342,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L2DB View Post
IANAL (I am not a lawyer), but at this point, I think I'd just cancel the old check and give him a new one as soon as you're able to. I have no clue if he actually could evict you from this, but even if he can, I doubt he will provided you pay him reasonably soon. Eviction is going to be much costlier for him from a time/money lost standpoint than just dealing with it.

I'm trying to decide if you should really push for a lease or if you benefit from not having one, but I can't decide/don't know the legal implications.
IANAL, I like that I will have to start using that. I would say the benefits from having a lease to the renter would be that he can leave when he wants, no lease to dictate how much notice to give. On the other hand the landlord could probably do the same, and also he could raise rent without notice since there is no signed contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis