Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-14-2013, 01:53 PM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by douglasf13 View Post
To be honest, most states are quite a bit different when you get outside of the city. The L.A. metropolitan area is gigantic, but, once you get outside of it, Southern California is also pretty desolate. I wouldn't want to live a couple of hours east of L.A. anymore than I'd want to live a couple of hours outside of Indy.
Very true. In fact, parts of the central valley, Bakersfield up to Fresno and Modesto, are downright boring. It's hot and flat. Colorado has the awesome mountains and Denver, but east of I-25, Colorado is very dull. Very few towns, if any. An occasional farmhouse. Not a single tree for miles upon miles. That's part of the reason you can see the mountains almost from Kansas along I-70, long before you get to Denver. People talk about Nebraska and Kansas being desolate. I find Nebraska to be more interesting to drive through than eastern Colorado.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2013, 06:58 AM

486 posts, read 863,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Thank you for making my day. i agree
Without Chicago Illinois would be a bigger Iowa.
BRG, did you do extensive research or take a poll in Illinois? You really display a
hatred for Chicago but glorify Indy.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:52 AM

8,980 posts, read 17,294,566 times
Quote:
Another reason is Chicagoans feel the need to trash talk every single midwestern city to boost Chicago.
It cuts both ways and maybe it will take a huge decline in Chicago to get them out of that mentality. Maybe it will take miles and miles of abandoned streets and buildings like Detroit to have Chicago stop trashing the rest of the midwest. who knows only time will tell.
I think this is overblown. Some might feel the need to "trash" other places, but I doubt it is a large number of people, probably about the same number of people on the Indianapolis forum who trash Chicago (one).

Quote:
Ill tell you one thing im not the only one that hates Chicago. i know alot of people that do.
I know a lot of people that love McDonald's. Does that make McDonald's a gourmet hamburger joint?

Quote:
Heck i personally would be more content with Chicago if a huge blow like moving the CME to Indy was dealt. I think doing something as simple as that would teach Chicago a lesson and maybe they would be more open to other midwestern cities and cultures.
Walk along Clark Street in Chicago and count the number of Iowa Hawkeyes flags. You will run out of fingers to count on, so wear sandals.

Quote:
Also what doesnt help is when Chicagoans call Indiana a Hick state. oh lol thats not true by any means and i think its time for Chicago to get the massive wakeup call it deserves.
As is often the case, you are overstating any hatred that Chicago has for Indianapolis. Most Chicagoans rarely if ever think of Indiana and Indianapolis unless they have a specific reason too. I know many current and former Chicagoans, most like Indianapolis as a mid-sized city but consider it quite a step down from Chicago, which is fair, because Indianapolis is several rungs below Chicago as a city.

Old 03-15-2013, 08:39 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Quote:

Ill tell you one thing im not the only one that hates Chicago. i know alot of people that do.
Nearly 9 1/2 million people live in the Chicago area, so I guess no everyone hates it.

I have many friends who live in Chicago and the suburbs. Guess what, quite a few of them moved there from Indianapolis. Some of them like it, some of them love it. None of them hate it or they would move back.

You have mentioned your relatives who live in Chicago, if they hate it why do they live there?

Old 03-15-2013, 09:32 AM

486 posts, read 863,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxic Toast View Post
I think this is overblown. Some might feel the need to "trash" other places, but I doubt it is a large number of people, probably about the same number of people on the Indianapolis forum who trash Chicago (one).

I know a lot of people that love McDonald's. Does that make McDonald's a gourmet hamburger joint?

Walk along Clark Street in Chicago and count the number of Iowa Hawkeyes flags. You will run out of fingers to count on, so wear sandals.

As is often the case, you are overstating any hatred that Chicago has for Indianapolis. Most Chicagoans rarely if ever think of Indiana and Indianapolis unless they have a specific reason too. I know many current and former Chicagoans, most like Indianapolis as a mid-sized city but consider it quite a step down from Chicago, which is fair, because Indianapolis is several rungs below Chicago as a city.
I agree. It is unrealistic to think that one city is some type of utopia. Also, why attack Iowa. My inlaws
lived in a small town there and the people were very nice. Yes, there's a lot of corn there too but it is
the midwest which has farmland. Des Moines was making some headway with young families moving there
due to its affordability.

Old 03-15-2013, 01:59 PM

218 posts, read 462,798 times
Most people who grew up in Chicago think about as much of Indy as people from Indy think about Fort Wayne. Since the average person who grew up in Indy would consider a move to the Fort as a step down, it is understandable that people who move leave Chicago for Indy would think more or less the same thing.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:21 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
....Indiana is completely a hickish place...and I mean it in the kindest of ways. I'll confess that it gets irritating and hypocrtical when Chicagoans say this about Indiana, since everything in Illinois south of Chicago is a carbon copy of Indy and is just as hickish. (But then the majority of Chicagoans have no real concept of the rest of Illinois.) And Missouri is hickish everywhere between STL and KC, Ohio is hickish outside of its big three cities, Kentucky is ultra-hickish outside of Louisville. That's just the identity of places that have vast stretches of countryside filled primarily with people with little more than a high school education (if that). Is it condescending? You bet. But it sure isn't inaccurate. It's just a fact of life.
From CD:

For population 25 years and over in Chicago:

• High school or higher: 71.8%
  • Bachelor's degree or higher: 25.5%
  • Graduate or professional degree: 10.0%

Read more: //www.city-data.com/city/Chicag...#ixzz2NgyRVNvi

So as long as a place has just a smudge over a quarter of their citizens with a higher education degree, they aren't considered "hickish?" Or does one need a body count that rivals occupied war zones in other parts of the world? Which IL politicians caused the massive pension deficit for the state? Those from the non-hickish Chicago, or those from the hickish areas of rest of the state? If it were the pols from Chicago, does this mean fiscal incompetence is also one of the traits that makes an area non-hickish?

I think I can read between the lines here. Hickish really means: Low density places where the people are likely to be conservative in their beliefs and/or there isn't much to do in terms of paying others to entertain and feed you. Non-hickish really means: High density places where the people are likely to be liberal in their beliefs and/or there are tons of opportunities to pay people to entertain and feed you.

Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 AM

1,712 posts, read 3,079,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bertrandandjules View Post
Most people who grew up in Chicago think about as much of Indy as people from Indy think about Fort Wayne. Since the average person who grew up in Indy would consider a move to the Fort as a step down, it is understandable that people who move leave Chicago for Indy would think more or less the same thing.
I think part of the problem is that we toss municipal names around here and that doesn't tell the whole story. Some folks say "Chicago" when they really mean "uppity suburban area." My in-laws were from the Chicago region. Only one remains. Only one family actually lived in what I might consider "Chicago," though from what I gather on-line it is actually a separate municipality, but still in Cook County. This is around the Tinley Park area. They only lived there for a while and ended up relocating to Indy area for a job. My wife said her parents joked that places in the burbs rolled up the sidewalks at 5PM, but now, it is totally different in Hamilton Co.. However, they also said that while they would walk around the south side of Chicago and be OK back then, they would have never allowed their kids to do the same growing up given how the area changed.

When another relative got an internship paying less than $30K, and had to pay over $1,000 for a tiny studio apartment, I felt like that was a step down considering what he could have gotten in Indy. However, some folks would literally freakout at the idea of not having a ton of restaurants and other venues to spend their money at. However, at less than $30K/year, with a $1,000+/mo. room, I really didn't see that being some sort of great lifestyle. Some folks care about being able to save money, and other people can't wait to spend every dime they make.

It all comes down to personal wants and desires. If one wants a city with a budget problem, high cost of living, and the ability to give more people your money for services rendered, Chicago is your place. If one wants that on a much smaller scale, then a metro area the size of Indy would be better. If one just wants to relax in their home on a few affordable acres, yet have a decent job in a city, I gather a place like Chicago is likely not able to provide that in any real affordable way given suburban growth. However, Indy is able to provide that for now with areas in Hancock and Shelby County, and other counties if one is up for driving an additional ten miles or so to work.

If I ended up increasing my wage 50% or more with a move to Ft. Wayne, I wouldn't consider that a "step-down." However, if one is more concerned about having museums, concert venues, specialty shops, and the like to hand over their money, then clearly it would be a step down as with a smaller population comes fewer places to do just that.

Old 03-16-2013, 07:22 PM

31 posts, read 67,319 times
Even with cheap real estate.. it's still Indiana. Somewhat like saying... "hey I got a great deal on a slightly used diaper!"

I lived all over the state during a 28 year period with more than 15 years of that in Indianapolis so I feel I am entitled to my opinion.. if however unpopular.

Old 03-17-2013, 06:02 AM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graphotism View Post
Even with cheap real estate.. it's still Indiana. Somewhat like saying... "hey I got a great deal on a slightly used diaper!"

I lived all over the state during a 28 year period with more than 15 years of that in Indianapolis so I feel I am entitled to my opinion.. if however unpopular.
Your so wrong.
But keep dreaming. keep dreaming.
Such negative people im glad you dont live in Indiana anymore. we dont want negative people like you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis