Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 02:33 PM

3,892 posts, read 5,515,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
*enters thread*

Oh, just another round of The Entire Indianapolis Forum vs. Broadrippleguy.

*exits thread*
yep and its sad to say it nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2013, 08:46 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,662,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Because they have been in power in Washington lets see in congress since 2006 and the White House since 2008?
Na lets just blame bush like the lamestream media does...................... lol im smarter than that so no thanks.
The Republican house is basically only there to contain the debt and damage. Obama freaking and trying to start a sky is falling memo on the Sequestration is just the latest example. Ya slowing the increase in government spending is a cut..................
Wait.

I thought you "don't even do that."

You then proceed to do just that.

Old 05-07-2013, 09:01 PM

229 posts, read 293,821 times
Oil is a GLOBAL commodity therefore its price is set GLOBALLY. What do you think happens when a billion people from newly developed countries enter the market? Do you people not know how supply and demand works?

Old 05-07-2013, 09:21 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,096,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broadrippleguy View Post
Because they have been in power in Washington lets see in congress since 2006 and the White House since 2008?
Na lets just blame bush like the lamestream media does...................... lol im smarter than that so no thanks.
The Republican house is basically only there to contain the debt and damage. Obama freaking and trying to start a sky is falling memo on the Sequestration is just the latest example. Ya slowing the increase in government spending is a cut..................
You really want to play that card?

Let's talk about that (since I love talking to you):

The Republican Revolution occurred in the mid-term election in 1994 (I know, I know....before you were born, so not important ). Republicans controlled Congress for 12 years.

Republicans controlled both the legislative and executive branches for six years (2000-06), and controlled all three branches of government from the time Roberts was appointed (9/2005) through the time the '06 Congress was sworn in (1/07). For almost a year-and-a-half, Republicans could have made any decision for the country that they wanted to.

Gingrich and his cronies ran on two major platforms in '94: 1.) Shrink the government, 2.) Pro-life (Am I right in assuming you are also pro-life?). In 12 years, they didn't pass any abortion related legislation at the federal level. They didn't so much as introduce it.

In those same 12 years, federal spending increased. And it did so exponentially under Bush Jr.

Bush Sr. left office with a deficit that he inherited from Reagan. Clinton-- a democrat-- balanced the budget for the first time in decades.

This is all coming from a moderate, albeit one who is smart enough (or, *gasp* experienced enough with the process?) to know that this is not all black-and-white.

Have you registered to vote yet, btw?

Best,
SRSMN

Old 06-05-2013, 03:01 PM

5,346 posts, read 9,857,902 times
Gas prices at 4.25/ gallon all over town. Remember when Indiana's gas was always cheaper than the national average??

Old 06-05-2013, 07:10 PM

144 posts, read 342,480 times
Until we drastically alter our fuel usage habits we will keep seeing these jumps, cry for a day or two, and then just deal with a new normal. Luckily I moved recently and I am now within a 5 minutes drive by car or a 20-30 minute bike ride; and I didn't have to fill that truck up with $4.25/gal gas.

Even if you live far away from work you can still do things that will reduce your fuel dependency, like: get your groceries on your way home from work, this reduces a need to get back out, order carry out pizza instead of delivery on the way home from work, limit trips out to eat or special events bike or walk to a park instead, or Car pool, odds are you live close or on the same route someone else takes to work. Things that the average person would be able to sacrifice without a huge adjustment to their lives, maybe you can't get home and kick your shoes off right after work or you lose out on that really cool wine tasting, but you also saved a lot of money over the course of the year.

These things wouldn't make huge dents in the oil companies profits by just one person doing them, but a gallon of gas saved each week for a year multiplied by 3 million would make a huge dent. Would it force new innovations, new upgrades to refineries, I hope, but hell I am just happy to save $4.25 a week or ~$220 a year. No matter how you slice it something like this for a year, and hopefully beyond, would do more damage to an oil company than a damn gas out.

Old 06-06-2013, 05:11 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
Upgrading of refineries is part of the reason it's so high here right now. The refinery in Whiting has been undergoing upgrades for a while now and I think one in Joliet, IL is doing the same now. So those refineries are offline.

I could save a lot more gas if the state government would get us a decent mass transit system!

Old 06-06-2013, 05:43 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,621,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post
Gas prices at 4.25/ gallon all over town. Remember when Indiana's gas was always cheaper than the national average??

Same prices in Detroit.

Old 06-06-2013, 06:07 AM

4,970 posts, read 6,269,625 times
It's amazing when gas prices here are higher than California. Seems like a pretty rare occurrence.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:03 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
Must be Chicago's fault, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis