Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 11:58 AM

48 posts, read 163,036 times

Advertisements

Hubby is possibly getting a job in indianapolis. I would like to do a bit of research on the area to see what is available relocation wise since it will play a huge role in his decision.

He will not be in a high paying field and I wont have my nursing license for at least a year so it would have to be an area with affordable (not more than 125000) homes.
We have two young children so schools are important.
I dont want to live in the city I need larger than an urban lot
shopping is not an issue and as long as his commute to indy is not more than an hour and a half we are happy.
What areas on the north side would you suggest?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 01:13 PM

76 posts, read 277,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mkach View Post
Hubby is possibly getting a job in indianapolis. I would like to do a bit of research on the area to see what is available relocation wise since it will play a huge role in his decision.

He will not be in a high paying field and I wont have my nursing license for at least a year so it would have to be an area with affordable (not more than 125000) homes.
We have two young children so schools are important.
I dont want to live in the city I need larger than an urban lot
shopping is not an issue and as long as his commute to indy is not more than an hour and a half we are happy.
What areas on the north side would you suggest?
Honestly, if you want cheap/free activities and a house on a decent-sized lot for $125K, I couldn't recommend ANYWHERE on the north side.

Zionsville, Carmel, and Fishers are all very expensive (for Indiana), and even Castleton (within Marion county) is a bit above that price range. Nora (further south of Castleton) would be a possibility in that price range, but then you're getting more urban - more crime, smaller lots. The northwest side is having some crime problems, too, unfortunately.

If your husband's job is centrally-located, you could live west of Marion county, in Avon, Brownsburg, or Plainfield, or on the southside in the Southport or Franklin Township areas, or just south of Marion county in Greenwood or Whiteland.

Those areas are nice, family-oriented and relatively inexpensive. I think their schools are also considered fairly good - at any rate, much better than IPS (Indianapolis Public Schools).

Hope this helps!

Old 08-20-2008, 01:28 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
An hour and a half commute can get you almost anywhere. It's not the northside, but New Palestine has terrific schools. You should be able to find a house in Fishers, Westfield or Noblesville in your pricerange too ... they are north suburbs. Of those 3, Fishers has better test scores, but all are good.

You could also look into Brownsburg.

Old 08-20-2008, 03:25 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,737,257 times
Hendricks county has great schools and fits into your price range. It is just west of Indy. I love it here.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
You should be able to find a house in Fishers, Westfield or Noblesville in your pricerange too ... they are north suburbs. Of those 3, Fishers has better test scores, but all are good.
realtor.com lists 12 homes (3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms) in Fishers for sale for $125,000 or less.

Avon has 27.

Plainfield has 30.

Whiteland has 31.

Brownsburg has 32.

zip code 46237 (Franklin Township on the southside) has 103.

Greenwood has 126.

Based on housing availability, the southside and Greenwood area looks like the best bet.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:19 AM

Sorry, forgot to post these results:

Westfield has 8 houses for sale for $125K or less

Noblesville has 73. Which means Noblesville could also be a viable possibility, if the commute isn't a problem.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:34 AM

17,764 posts, read 39,738,186 times
If Greenwood is a possibility, try to stay within White River Twp/Center Grove schools.

Old 08-21-2008, 10:51 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,482,498 times
And after the flooding this year, be careful and check in places like Whiteland where it was pretty extensive. Even Noblesville has a number of areas that could and some that do flood.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:59 AM

8,981 posts, read 17,297,321 times
As long as we're throwing out options, why not Sheridan? They have decent schools and are rural, perhaps that would be a good fit, and its not to far from the shopping in Carmel.

Old 08-21-2008, 05:42 PM

48 posts, read 163,036 times
Wow thats for all the help guys!!! I have lots of places to reasearch now

Two more questions for you guys. First, flooding- how widespread was it? We have it on our home buying list but is it something that we should be super wary of? Second, how is the housing market there? Here in Detroit there is a dozen houses for every buyer.

Thanks for all the help guys and gals. Hopefully hubby gets the job and we will be transplanting
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis