Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2008, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 14,718 times

Advertisements

I have been told in the past that if I filed a Homestead something or other (name?) that my monthly payment will go down. When I first bought my home 7 years ago, a mortgage agent mentioned it to me, but I did not do it because I did not think it would make a difference. Now that taxes have doubled, I could really use a mortgage reduction, if that is possible. I am told I need to file something downtown, but do not know what it is or where to file, or if you can do this on line.

Your response would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM

1,099 posts, read 3,735,896 times
You should definitely get this done ASAP. You can file for homestead and mortgage, plus there are other things you may qualify for.... over 65, blind, veteran, disabled, certain energy improvements...

Your tax amount can be lowered by something like 30-40%. Don't quote me on that, but it is significant. Not only that, but when you go to sell, you want your exemptions to be filed to help out the buyers.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:27 PM

68 posts, read 359,036 times
Yes, take the deed to the assessor's office ASAP, assuming your property is eligible. Find out about the homestead and mortgage exemptions (these are separate things) and will save you big money. It is my understanding that you need to do this every year. I'm new here and the tax system is bewildering, to say the least, but I'm confident that I'm right on this one.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:31 PM

6,485 posts, read 12,533,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtrman View Post
Yes, take the deed to the assessor's office ASAP, assuming your property is eligible. Find out about the homestead and mortgage exemptions (these are separate things) and will save you big money. It is my understanding that you need to do this every year. I'm new here and the tax system is bewildering, to say the least, but I'm confident that I'm right on this one.
In Indiana you file exemptions with the county auditor. They remain in effect until the property changes hands or you refinance your loan on the property. You do not have to re-file exemptions every year.

Old 08-27-2008, 07:32 PM

No, you do not need to do it each year. The only thing you need to remember is if you refinance you need to go back and file your mortgage exemption again. Try here for more info: Marion County and Marion County Township Assessors (http://www.indygov.org/eGov/County/Assessors/home.htm - broken link)

Old 04-20-2009, 02:57 PM

1 posts, read 13,727 times
My son forgot to file his homestead and mortgage exemptions when he bought his home. (1st time buyer). Now he got slapped with a $215 increase a month for his house payment for taxes. Is there anything he can do.

Old 04-20-2009, 07:55 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Well, when did he buy his house? He needs to get to the auditor's office asap. I believe he has until May 1 to file, but who knows this year. I think last year Marion county extended the deadline until Dec? With most counties sending out tax bills late and all the confusion the last few years, the date might have changed for him.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:09 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,997,721 times
Filing this year affects next year's taxes, I believe.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:49 PM

1 posts, read 11,808 times
after refinancing how long do you have to file your homestead?

Old 01-17-2010, 08:21 PM

After you refinance your mortgage, you need to refile your MORTGAGE exemption, and you need to do it as soon as possible so you don't forget. Usually you have the calendar year to d it, but why risk forgetting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis