Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 02:23 PM

28 posts, read 169,591 times

Advertisements

It seems to me that people in the Midwest and particularly Indiana are quite adverse to risk. It’s reflected in people’s apprehension to live in urban neighborhoods as well as Indiana’s lack of entrepreneurial spirit. People here seem not to want to live or be anywhere near where there might be conflict. Don’t get me wrong, I love this place and we do have “urban pioneers” and a there are business savvy people with entrepreneurial blood. But my experience is that most people are content with their 9 – 5 jobs, 45 minute commute, and their cookie cutter homes in Fishers. Moreover, I think that Crime here is perceived to be worse than it is. It is a problem here, just like any other City in the US but it’s not a war zone like people think it is.

Some people think that I am crazy for living on the Eastside. But it’s actually a really nice and quiet place with a lot of potential and heart. Sure there are pockets of the Eastside that you should not frequent, but to generalize the whole of Indianapolis or the whole of the Eastside as Crime ridden is absurd. The whole street corner camera thing is really funny to me. You can’t have cameras on every corner. And why must there be a flashing blue light on top of it? What a waste of money!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 04:52 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,734,665 times
Now wait Liger ... we live in Fishers because we have kids and our priorities are safe neighborhood with good public schools. Sorry Liger, but IPS is the pits and I'm a big believer in public education. So Fishers, Carmel, et al will appeal to us because of that. I was an urban pioneer before I had kids in Chicago and I will always consider myself an urban person. I love driving around the downtown Indy neighborhoods. They are pretty darn nice. Just as nice as Chicago neighborhoods, imo. But again ... it's not an aversion to conflict that keeps us away. It's about being able to let my kids outside and come and go to schools that are safe and good.

Don't paint us 'burbans with a broad brush. There are a few of us urbanites trapped out here.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:51 AM

Default I know

I wasn't trying to imply that living in the suburbs is a bad thing. I have no problem with that at all and there are some really nice suburban communities. I understand your concern for raising kids and schools and safe neighborhoods etc. However, what many people don't know is that Indianapolis has some of the best schools in the State. Sure IPS is in big trouble, but what about charter schools? Also, there are many high quality private schools and other choices. I personally would raise my child in Indianapolis (I am not ready for that yet but I am at that age). There are plenty of safe neighborhoods here too. I would also want them to grow in an environment that isn't as antiseptic and sheltered as the suburbs (again not that it's a bad thing, it's just not for me).

My point is that people immediately dismiss Indianapolis as a place to live and raise children. I believe that their decisions are often based on information that is simply just not true or made out of fear for something that isn’t real. I might be wrong, but after talking with my friends that live outside of Indianapolis I believe that the perception is very much distorted from reality.

Old 03-21-2007, 12:21 PM

The charter schools reps aren't that good to be honest. Again, I am an urban pioneer personally, but not when it comes to my kids. I don't want to experiment with them.

Hey, if we didn't have kids, my husband and I would still be living in our loft in downtown Chicago with our view of Lake Michigan ... ahhhh. Having a homeless person following me home from the bank ... paying to have my groceries delivered ... NO CAR!!!

Old 03-24-2007, 07:13 AM

3 posts, read 15,479 times
Good for you! I agree that life ain't so bad in the "bad places" in Indy. But it'd be easy enough to make them better that we're stupid not to just do it. See the Spring Journal from Indiana Policy Review Foundation when it comes out next month.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:20 AM

Is this THE Andy Horning? Libertarian gone republican Andy Horning? I agree. We have a lot to do to improve Indianapolis. That's why I spend so much time volunteering on the Eastside. Slow but steady wins the race! Hey, maybe we can get you in office next term!

Old 03-24-2007, 01:54 PM

Heads up ... great cover story in Indianapolis Monthly on Indy & outlying areas real estate.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:34 PM

2 posts, read 5,129 times
I've been viewing this site for quite some time, and I think this would be an appropriate opportunity to make my second post.

I'm a hardcore fan of Indianapolis. I believe this is a great city to live in and has tremedous potential. But I've been seeing some fairly negative remarks when it comes to others' opinions of the city (schools are terrible, crime, stay away from city and move to suburbs, etc.)

Every city has its problems, and Indy is certainly no exception. But I'm going to go against the grain and emphasize the positives that the City itself has to offer, because everyone doesn't want to live in the suburbs.

Yes, that means defending Indianapolis Public Schools. I am going to say that IPS can be a good system IF you get involved as a parent and use the resources that are available. I would have absolutely no problems sending my kids to an IPS school. I am a product of IPS myself (1988-2001) and I turned out just fine. In fact, I am working on my BArch degree (I am graduating this summer with honors). And the funny thing is, IPS was actually worse then when I was a student than it is now.

Old 03-29-2007, 06:43 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,059,883 times
This is a funny post for me. You wanna see high crime area, come to DC. I don't even watch the local news anymore and this is the greatest nation in the world's capital. It's redicilous how many bodies they find everyday especially in Prince George's County. Google it some time. Baltimore also, don't even get me started on that arm pit. Indy has its fair share of problems but overall it's not bad at all. Just look at towns close by such as St. Louis, Detroit, Gary even Cincy.

Old 03-30-2007, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Greensboro Resident View Post
This is a funny post for me. You wanna see high crime area, come to DC. I don't even watch the local news anymore and this is the greatest nation in the world's capital. It's redicilous how many bodies they find everyday especially in Prince George's County. Google it some time. Baltimore also, don't even get me started on that arm pit. Indy has its fair share of problems but overall it's not bad at all. Just look at towns close by such as St. Louis, Detroit, Gary even Cincy.
I agree with you. It seems to me that people are so paranoid of every little thing. Once they hear that one little bad thing has happened then they think Indianapolis is such a scary place. I have heard people talk about how dangerous it is to come downtown and they never come here because they fear it is so bad. I just can’t believe that people can be so uninformed.

What is so bad about it is that now the City is installing these awful cameras with flashing blue lights, antennas and unsightly wires running all over the place on South Meridian Street. They are right on the most prominent street in our city in view of the iconic monument circle. Not only is this a waste of money but it will give people that are already apprehensive about visiting downtown proof that there is crime and that it is too dangerous to come downtown. I can hear it now, “oh, see those cameras! See it is dangerous here! We better leave before some stranger looks at us funny.”

I work on South Meridian and aside from the occasional panhandler have never had any trouble or have even seen much trouble down here. I sometimes leave the office at 3:00 am and have had no problems. The fact is that, most of the crime happens to people that are hanging out with the wrong people or doing things that they should not be doing. It's not happening to the common person on South Meridian or in the many great Indianapolis neighborhoods. I guess the fact remains that ignorance breeds stupidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Indiana > Indianapolis