Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 07:14 PM

2,182 posts, read 5,438,973 times

Advertisements

Anyone have it? What do you think? We're looking at 30mb/s down internet and the HD DVR TV package, 200+ channels I think?

I don't care about customer service issues. I know, I know, they suck. So does everyone else. I don't care about that, I can handle myself on the phone.

I need to know, is their service RELIABLE? I have VZN FIOS now and it is rock solid. No hiccups all year long...not even once.

How is their TV package? Their site that shows what channels go with what package is pretty terrible and I so I have no idea what channels I'd be getting

If I get a "whole house HD DVR box" does that mean I only need ONE box for the whole house? Their site is pretty hard to understand in that regard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 07:25 PM

43,297 posts, read 77,129,965 times
We are true-blue TWC. But, why would you leave FIOS? I hear it is heavenly.

I have the Roadrunner Extreme, 30 down and 5 up, and it seems pretty steady.

Wife uses the dvr, and local consumers on CD say they ditch it and go with Tivo for a better experience.
I don't use the phone.
We have Digital Tier, or some such.
No premium channels.
No VOIP telephone service.

$142.38/month.

Old 12-05-2011, 07:40 PM

Verizon's FIOS is super, super, SUPER awesome, but they don't have it at our new apartment unfortunately.

We won't be getting their phone service.

They've got a special for "whole house HD DVR" and 30mb/s internet for 99/mo for 12 mo.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:03 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,201,643 times
Have TW for HDTV and Internet, reliability is great but I would leave them in a second if FIOS was available where I live...

As far as handling oneself on the phone with TW support, handling oneself is not the issue, it's having patience while waiting for 10 minutes (average) to talk to a human being...

And if you don't have their preferred customer service (either 5 or 7 bucks a month) you could wait up to two weeks for a tech to show up....

Old 12-05-2011, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
Verizon's FIOS is super, super, SUPER awesome, but they don't have it at our new apartment unfortunately.

We won't be getting their phone service.

They've got a special for "whole house HD DVR" and 30mb/s internet for 99/mo for 12 mo.
Rack rate for 30/5 is $79.95, IIRC.
$99 sounds OK to toss in TV and dvr.

I know nothing about the dvr. TWC's interface makes me want to not bother. Mrs. is the TV person here, anyway.

Old 12-06-2011, 01:18 AM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
We have them!!

1) Thier phone service sucks

2) The cable service sucks (Mainly due to NAVIGATOR being on the boxs (Total trash platform))

3) THE INTERNET IS THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT TWC IN MY OPINION!

Old 12-06-2011, 07:33 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
I don't get the Time Warner hate.
They annoy me about a few things.

The DVR works great.
I don't have internet because it annoys me how they try to talk you into the 30mb package or whatever. Like your internet will be slow if you don't get the prmium package.
Please. 1.5mb is the minimum you need for Netflix or playing games or surfing the net. 30mb is just overkill. A way to suck some more money out of you.
Of course someone will disagree with me there.
The home phone service annoys me too. Basically paying twice for the same service as your 'home phone' runs over the internet connection that you are already paying for.
But everyone falls for the 'it's so cheap when you bundle' crap.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

The DVR works great.
I don't have internet because it annoys me how they try to talk you into the 30mb package or whatever. Like your internet will be slow if you don't get the prmium package.
Please. 1.5mb is the minimum you need for Netflix or playing games or surfing the net. 30mb is just overkill. A way to suck some more money out of you.
The home phone service annoys me too. Basically paying twice for the same service as your 'home phone' runs over the internet connection that you are already paying for.
After the adventure I had getting RR Extreme up and running, I can see how some folks could build a healthy disgust.
At least I had full expectations that it would not be smooth.
And, it is a shame that their first-level tech support did not know that you could use your own router with their Ubee modem/router (actually did not know that there were two functions in the box) but made me go through a whole list of scripts before referring me up the food chain.
Level 3 tech and I spent more time chatting than fixing, because he knew in an instant what I had just spent hours on with the churn and burn employees.

I can certainly tell the difference between my 30/5 and my former Turbo(15-22)/.49, particularly on uploads, but also it seems with less network slowdown when the kids come home on the street and start streaming.
Batch uploading large photos is much better. Video also uploads much better.

And maybe I need to check in on an upgraded DVR. By any measure, we have a crummy box. I just don't care, as long as Mrs. isn't fussed up about it.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude111 View Post
We have them!!

1) Thier phone service sucks

2) The cable service sucks (Mainly due to NAVIGATOR being on the boxs (Total trash platform))

3) THE INTERNET IS THE ONLY GOOD THING ABOUT TWC IN MY OPINION!
1) I won't be getting a phone, so that's cool with me

2) I have heard the interface is lacking. I'm not much of a TV watcher, the ladyfriend is the remote holder in this household most of the time

3) This is really the most important part for me. If the internet sucks, I will hate my life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post

The DVR works great.
Thanks for the info. I am specifically going for the 30mb plan, there are other packages or whatever that have it lower, but I need the upload speed. I have 15/5 package with VZN right now, and I need at LEAST 4mb/s upload to be efficient at what I do. The download IS a bit overkill, but it's really the only way I can get the upload speeds I want, plus it's only $10/mo extra, not that big of a deal to me right now.

The main reason I skated right on past UVERSE is because of the upload speeds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
After the adventure I had getting RR Extreme up and running, I can see how some folks could build a healthy disgust.
At least I had full expectations that it would not be smooth.
And, it is a shame that their first-level tech support did not know that you could use your own router with their Ubee modem/router (actually did not know that there were two functions in the box) but made me go through a whole list of scripts before referring me up the food chain.
Level 3 tech and I spent more time chatting than fixing, because he knew in an instant what I had just spent hours on with the churn and burn employees.
Do they allow bridged mode on their router/modem? I want to use my own DD-WRT flashed router.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazyn View Post
1) ...

Thanks for the info. I am specifically going for the 30mb plan, there are other packages or whatever that have it lower, but I need the upload speed. I have 15/5 package with VZN right now, and I need at LEAST 4mb/s upload to be efficient at what I do. The download IS a bit overkill, but it's really the only way I can get the upload speeds I want, plus it's only $10/mo extra, not that big of a deal to me right now.

Do they allow bridged mode on their router/modem? I want to use my own DD-WRT flashed router .
Yes. They just kept it a secret from the cannon fodder CSRs. That was my hitch. When I put the Ubee into bridge, all control disappeared and I couldn't access the dashboard for any other settings.

And my gaming router blew up last month. I popped my old D-LinkDIR-615 in place and never missed a beat.
Well, except for issues from not having my cables labeled...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet