Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2012, 12:46 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,464,007 times

Advertisements

Who writes this stuff? My internet service provider has NO interest in upgrading anybody's broadband connection. That would (gasp) cost them money, can't have that.

And the FCC wants to tax my 20K service to give other people 1M service? Who writes this stuff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2012, 02:07 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
This is the story with most services.

Old 08-28-2012, 08:05 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
Who writes this stuff? My internet service provider has NO interest in upgrading anybody's broadband connection. That would (gasp) cost them money, can't have that.

And the FCC wants to tax my 20K service to give other people 1M service? Who writes this stuff?
Why wouldn't your ISP want you to upgrade? If you upgrade, it's more money for them.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:17 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,146,617 times
Quote:
My internet service provider has NO interest in upgrading anybody's broadband connection. That would (gasp) cost them money, can't have that.
Verizon and Comcast both recently upgraded our speeds without asking for more $$. It's just natural progression.

I can stay the lack of competition in certain areas keeping the ISPs from upgrading service... however 4G will soon be fast enough to compete with broadband.

Old 08-28-2012, 04:12 PM

1,446 posts, read 4,598,211 times
What companies are doing this? I am using Cablevision (which is not supposed to be the best like Verizon) but I usually have a 15/5, never slower than 5/1 download/upload. I am getting this on 44 dollars a month for my broadband connection. Are you using wireless? If not, could it be the part of the country you are in? I just do not know what to say because I am satisfied with my broadband connections for general internet usage.

Old 08-29-2012, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Why wouldn't your ISP want you to upgrade? If you upgrade, it's more money for them.

The only upgrade they offer is a larger data plan, and the only benefit is that I would double my speed to 40K (woo hoo!) if I went over the limit on my current data plan.

The HUGE unreliability problem (often plays dead for minutes at a time with no data transfer up or down, often disconnects, often unreachable) would not at all be addressed by paying more for a larger data plan.

They have a captive market of people who lack other internet options, so they have no interest in spending money to upgrade their performance. Online reviews generally fair to poor, with a lot of user flaming and comments like "why does it SUCK so bad" and "it's better than nothing".

Old 08-29-2012, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
What companies are doing this? I am using Cablevision (which is not supposed to be the best like Verizon) but I usually have a 15/5, never slower than 5/1 download/upload. I am getting this on 44 dollars a month for my broadband connection. Are you using wireless? If not, could it be the part of the country you are in? I just do not know what to say because I am satisfied with my broadband connections for general internet usage.

I don't know how to convey the debth of my contempt for Cricket "Broadband", a person cannot fully grasp its utter lameness without experiencing it firsthand. All this for 'only' $45 a month.

This online review gives a hint of what I feel:

Average Rating
Price
Speed
Support
If I had the option to give less than one star, I would have. In fact, I would give it -5 stars. Horrible service! Broadband? No sir. Narrowband. Cricket has created a new kind of internet service. This is A tiny cell phone type device that provides Dial up service. 400-700 kbps? You could never be so lucky. More like, 2-15 kbps.

Old 08-29-2012, 03:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
This is the story with most services.

I'll be willing to pay a tax to expand access to high-speed internet...when I myself get high-speed internet.

Old 08-29-2012, 04:40 AM

23,173 posts, read 26,202,662 times
Is there no other coverage where you are?
If it's so awful, why don't you switch to a different provider?
You say they have you 'captive'.......that's pretty rare these days, unless you mean you just don't want to pay more.
I am 'captive' to one small outfit for internet service but there is still satellite as an alternative.

If you're trying to sell online, you might just have to suck up a higher cost as "part of doing business"
(I did, BTW, eBay parttime for many years,about 2000 sales, with AOL dial-up and with lots of photos.....you do what you have to do)

Old 08-29-2012, 04:58 AM

15,436 posts, read 25,818,588 times
Quote:
The only upgrade they offer is a larger data plan, and the only benefit is that I would double my speed to 40K (woo hoo!) if I went over the limit on my current data plan.

The HUGE unreliability problem (often plays dead for minutes at a time with no data transfer up or down, often disconnects, often unreachable) would not at all be addressed by paying more for a larger data plan.

They have a captive market of people who lack other internet options, so they have no interest in spending money to upgrade their performance. Online reviews generally fair to poor, with a lot of user flaming and comments like "why does it SUCK so bad" and "it's better than nothing".
Oh. Well that's different than what I thought you were saying. They do want you to upgrade because they get more money. That has nothing to do with whether you get better service or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet