Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Now you know why we all were confused... Happy Interneting!

Don't forget security. Set it up!!!!!
The router set-up disk forced me to set up a password, so when it turned on, it was secured.

I am so happy to be done with this!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 06:02 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times

How to Supercharge your old Router - YouTube
^ You might still be able to have some fun with that old router and/or make it marketable.

Old 09-12-2012, 07:46 PM

5,333 posts, read 8,545,426 times
OK, everything has going great, but I am encountering one strange problem.

When my computer turns on, it immediately connects to my WiFi signal. But, it says "no internet access" - then, after a minute or a few minutes, it seems to always find a way to get internet access. I have no idea what is causing this delay. I've tried turning off the modem and turning it back on, disconnecting from the network and then reconnecting. I can't seem to pinpoint any particular action that I take that makes it connect to the internet.

I guess I don't understand how my computer can be connected to my network, but not have internet access.

Any ideas appreciated!

Old 09-12-2012, 10:58 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittenSparkles View Post
OK, everything has going great, but I am encountering one strange problem.

When my computer turns on, it immediately connects to my WiFi signal. But, it says "no internet access" - then, after a minute or a few minutes, it seems to always find a way to get internet access. I have no idea what is causing this delay. I've tried turning off the modem and turning it back on, disconnecting from the network and then reconnecting. I can't seem to pinpoint any particular action that I take that makes it connect to the internet.

I guess I don't understand how my computer can be connected to my network, but not have internet access.

Any ideas appreciated!
The reason? DHCP

What is DHCP? - For Dummies

Old 09-12-2012, 11:01 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SorryIMovedBack View Post

How to Supercharge your old Router - YouTube
^ You might still be able to have some fun with that old router and/or make it marketable.
And if you don't know what you are doing you can make it into a brick.....

Old 09-14-2012, 02:47 PM

1,758 posts, read 3,835,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
And if you don't know what you are doing you can make it into a brick.....
So?

First you read, and then you cook. It was given to her, and she's not using it for anything. No money invested, it's out of warranty, resale value is low, it doesn't work well as-is, and the owner has no real use for it anyway = an opportunity to experiment and learn.

Send it to me. I'll find out what it can do. As I recall, dimly since it was 5 or more years ago, there sere certain firmware releases from the manufacturer that were buggy and/or that killed signal strength and throughput. Perhaps that router has one of those running and and that's why it's so bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet