Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 02:08 PM

1,391 posts, read 2,646,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Don't have kids, do you ... um.... music note?
None that I know of. I may yet become a father one day but rest assured, if I do, I won't be burying my FB account under 6,194 new photos daily of my toddlers. I like kids as much as anyone else, but come on, too much of a good thing doesn't make it as good of a thing anymore. Thankfully I've weeded out such posts from my timeline.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 03:04 PM

260 posts, read 337,748 times
I have one of my cat's picture up there for my own privacy reasons. I only feel comfortable with people I "friend" having access to who I am. She is cuter anyway so it's a win-win.

I'm not into seeing millions of kid pictures but I could look at cute pet pictures all day.

Old 09-28-2012, 07:21 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,469,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CK78 View Post
My question is why do these stupid social networking sites even exist. Who wants the world to be able to see your whole life on-line? Why do you think anybody cares about what you're doing anyway? Heck I have a couple e-mail addresses and a cell phone. What more do you need? It's like total overload with that stuff.

Besides I think facebook may be a government op. to track citizens and that Zuckenburgh guy was a front man. So I will not go on it. I'm not going to make it that easy for them to see what I'm doing.
It all kind of started back in the 90's when people figured out how to program quick little personal webpages. So, you started seeing all of these family webpages go up almost overnight. You could sign their guestbooks and look at their pictures (which took forever to load on dial-up lol!) So, I think web surfers always had it in them to want to be "social" online. I used to have a website back in those days and I DID post a picture of myself on the frontpage (wearing shades, lol), but none of the pages were about me, lol! They were all about my favorite band, favorite sports team, favorite actress, etc...I even went by a "username" kind of like I do in these discussion forums.

I'm not sure Facebook is a government operation, lol, but it does make you wonder how gullible we all are that we as the public flock to stuff like that as if we were sheep. I actually liked Myspace better because I could customize it pretty much anyway I wanted to, but that was kind of like a double-edged sword! Some people would put all of those animated gifs on their profile page and it would take forever for their pages to load. Some never would seem to load!

Old 09-09-2020, 02:34 PM

213 posts, read 132,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
To show any potential suitors she's fertile? Or to show ex-boyfriends that she would indeed eventually have sex?

Or more likely because some people's children so totally consume them they lose their own identity.
Most likely the last sentence. People (mostly moms) don't realize that there's actually some degree of danger in posting pics of your lil sweetheartz. It's easier than most would think to track where people can be found just by looking over someone's profile and pics. If I had kids I'd keep their pics in a photo album, not the internet like an idiot.

Old 09-10-2020, 06:48 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,249,635 times
WOW, this thread came back from an eight year death.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:07 PM

5,760 posts, read 11,546,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
WOW, this thread came back from an eight year death.
Yeah -- by now the daughter in the picture is putting up pictures of her own kids.

Old 09-10-2020, 01:34 PM

5,581 posts, read 6,508,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
To show any potential suitors she's fertile? Or to show ex-boyfriends that she would indeed eventually have sex?

Or more likely because some people's children so totally consume them they lose their own identity.
Bingo!

Old 10-01-2020, 12:06 PM

840 posts, read 773,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
It's really annoying when you are looking for an old classmate and there are 30 different "Joann Fredricks" out there and the only way you can determine if this is the right one or not is by their profile picture.

20yrsinBranson

Of those I know who use a child's picture as their picture, it is their own picture, taken when they were children. This should make it even easier for those looking for them who were school chums!

Old 10-01-2020, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
News, Why would a woman put a picture of her child’s face – instead of her own – as her profile picture on Facebook?

What makes you so sure they are current pictures of progeny, instead of old pictures of themselves when they were school children, used to help old school chums find them in the here & now . . . ???

Old 10-01-2020, 12:16 PM

Facebook (or other site) profile pictures can be whatever a person wants them to be

It's much more likely that children's pictures used a profile pictures are of the account holder themself, taken when they were that young age, though.

That helps long-lost school chums to identify them easier for a quicker reunion!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet