Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2020, 10:46 AM

17,622 posts, read 17,674,997 times

Advertisements

Second time in the past few years that some neighbor’s kids gained access to our WiFi router. When I log onto my router I can change the password and see what devices are connected to our router but I can’t block any devices individually. The app the internet provider offers is too buggy to be trusted. I was hoping there was a setting within the router’s controls that would allow an authorized user to block or unblock individual devices directly at the router control. Changing the password is merely a temporary solution as they may eventually find the password again. But having the ability to block a device’s access, regardless of password, would seem to be a better solution.

Any idea if there’s a way I can do this without purchasing my own WiFi router instead of using the one provided by my internet provider?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2020, 12:24 PM

5,947 posts, read 5,477,098 times
You can do it on any router that has a MAC filter.

A MAC filter allows you to maintain a list of authorized devices, any device not on the list will not gain access.

A MAC is a number in hex that identifies each network device. It's like a fingerprint.

First you need to see a list of attached devices and identify the good ones. Add those one at a time to the MAC filter and enable the MAC filter..

The steps to do this will vary, depending on which router you have. You should be able to do it on the router your ISP provides. Call them, get a user and password for the router and have them guide you through it.

Old 05-21-2020, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

A MAC filter allows you to maintain a list of authorized devices, any device not on the list will not gain access.

A MAC is a number in hex that identifies each network device. It's like a fingerprint.

First you need to see a list of attached devices and identify the good ones. Add those one at a time to the MAC filter and enable the MAC filter..

The steps to do this will vary, depending on which router you have. You should be able to do it on the router your ISP provides. Call them, get a user and password for the router and have them guide you through it.
I found it in the advance settings. When I clicked to enable MAC filter it says I have to disable WPS. Not sure yet how to disable WPS.why can’t it be as easy as an administrative logon with “BLOCK/UNBLOCK” next to each device?

Old 05-21-2020, 01:01 PM

14,394 posts, read 11,248,009 times
Another thing to consider - turning off SSID broadcast. This makes it a bit harder for anyone to jump on your WiFi because you need not only a password but the name of the network itself.

The downside is that it makes it a bit harder to add new wireless devices to your network.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
Another thing to consider - turning off SSID broadcast. This makes it a bit harder for anyone to jump on your WiFi because you need not only a password but the name of the network itself.

The downside is that it makes it a bit harder to add new wireless devices to your network.
If you do this, you could also change the SSID. The intruders will not know the new name of the Wifi and it should keep them out.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gguerra View Post

Got the WPS turned off. It’s going to be a long process. I have to write down the device address and manually enter each address to block.

Old 05-21-2020, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I found it in the advance settings. When I clicked to enable MAC filter it says I have to disable WPS. Not sure yet how to disable WPS.why can’t it be as easy as an administrative logon with “BLOCK/UNBLOCK” next to each device?
WPS should be disabled anyway. That may be the way your neighbors are getting on. It is not secure at all.

It should be under basic wireless settings, security but without the model number of the router I could not tell you for sure. It is probably just a box you can uncheck.

Old 05-21-2020, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Got the WPS turned off. It’s going to be a long process. I have to write down the device address and manually enter each address to block.
Copy and paste into notepad, then copy and paste into the MAC filter.

Old 05-21-2020, 09:10 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,059,937 times
Quote:
When I log onto my router I can change the password and see what devices are connected to our router but I can’t block any devices individually. ....Changing the password is merely a temporary solution as they may eventually find the password again.

Back up a second.... Have you enabled the password on the wifi? It appears you are talking about the password to get into routers interface. This only protects access to the interface, it's important to change it from default especially if you have open wifi connection but it doesn't prevent anyone from accessing the wifi. As another example if someone was at your house they wouldn't be able to get into the routers interlace by plugging into Ethernet port on router.

That interface is going to have settings for the wifi, you should have selection for the security protocol and a password. Select WPA2 or higher for security protocol and (re)set a password for the wifi. If no password has been set before that is how they are connecting because it's open connection. If you don't have at least WPA2 available it's time for new router. You will have to reconnect each device with new password. You may want to leave the WPS on to make it easier to reconnect devices and disable later if you want to add MAC address filtering.

This should be enough to keep the neighborhood kid out. Adding MAC address filtering is in addition to this but bear in mind MAC addresses can be spoofed, they do need to know what it is first.

Old 05-22-2020, 07:27 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,093,624 times
Another question - Is this router one that was provided by the ISP? Some ISPs have their routers set up so that anyone who is a subscriber can use the router to connect into the network. So anyone who has their phone set up to prefer wire.less over cellular will find your router and use it. Also since this 'feature' is standardized throughout the ISPs net the ones for the larger ISPs have probably been hacked and can be used by non subscribers.

I replaced the ISPs modem and router years ago. This gives me control as well as getting rid of the monthly rental charges.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet