Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2021, 09:00 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That does bring up an interesting question......what do we look to FB or any social media for?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You rely on Facebook... for News? There really are people like that?!?

Frankly I am totally tired of the Facebook Warriors like you that feel the need to comment, usually using caps, on anything you see that goes against your beliefs. Maybe just don't? You aren't changing anyone's' mind and only stressing yourself out.
Not Facebook...just their platform.

Does Facebook even have a news division like Yahoo! or Google? I don't think they do.

I just sort of follow all the sources of news I want there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2021, 09:48 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
Wouldn't this depend on what you use these platforms for?

I use Facebook mainly for their Marketplace. So I'm guessing the best alternative to FB for me would be ebay or craigslist?

I also use it sometimes to get local news (like my neighborhood) - but I also use a reddit sub for that. And Next-door is likely also something that works.
I agree. I use it primarily to keep up with friends, and my friends are almost all on Facebook.

Old 09-09-2021, 06:07 PM

173 posts, read 111,304 times
don't even know what it is but dark web is somewhere there popular for some

Old 09-10-2021, 03:08 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post
That does bring up an interesting question......what do we look to FB or any social media for?
And that is the big question. I have been on City-Data for longer than I have been on Facebook. For some of my interests I was on various Message boards, email lists, etc.

I was not in favor of using facebook to discuss some of my interest areas because it is difficult to follow threads and the format does not engender itself to longer detailed discussions. BUT

As more people moved to Facebook it became the default for some of the discussions I was on and I found it desirable to join to participate. It may be that Facebook will lose its place as the premier Social Networking platform. If so I may eventually move over to whatever replaces it. Or I will just fade into the sunset wondering if anyone realizes I didn't make the move.

Old 09-10-2021, 03:15 PM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You rely on Facebook... for News? There really are people like that?!?

Frankly I am totally tired of the Facebook Warriors like you that feel the need to comment, usually using caps, on anything you see that goes against your beliefs. Maybe just don't? You aren't changing anyone's' mind and only stressing yourself out.
Facebook is good for news within specialized groups that aren't covered by large media. Like which houses are out of power in a heavy storm, or which creek flooded. Or who ran a John Deer into the house at the corner of XX and YY road, and was anyone hurt. Or following news like yesterday when some new very large Container cranes were being delivered to Baltimore and passing under some major bridges. It got a 1 minutes story on the local news last night but the regional maritime interest group got some fantastic pictures and followed it all day (Yes we are all nerds about something).

So news on Facebook does have a place but only as a part of a total news environment.

Old 09-11-2021, 08:25 AM

10 posts, read 8,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Gab: Everything you need to know about the fast-growing, controversial social network:
Gab, an alternative social media network popular with conservatives, the alt-right and some extremists, is surging in popularity after conservative social network Parler was effectively taken off the internet in the wake of the January 6 Capitol siege.
The platform has been criticized for hosting hate-filled, violent speech...
https://edition.cnn.com/2021/01/17/t...ner/index.html

Okay. That is not at all my experience with gab.com.

As for taking CNN's word for it, it appears that CNN's viewership ratings have dropped so much. There's a reason for that.
https://ctv.kwayisi.org/networks/cnn/

Old 09-11-2021, 09:53 AM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
And that is the big question. I have been on City-Data for longer than I have been on Facebook. For some of my interests I was on various Message boards, email lists, etc.

I was not in favor of using facebook to discuss some of my interest areas because it is difficult to follow threads and the format does not engender itself to longer detailed discussions. BUT

As more people moved to Facebook it became the default for some of the discussions I was on and I found it desirable to join to participate. It may be that Facebook will lose its place as the premier Social Networking platform. If so I may eventually move over to whatever replaces it. Or I will just fade into the sunset wondering if anyone realizes I didn't make the move.
I am on a site called NextDoor. The developers of that site had a particular purpose in mind for THE SITE THEY OWN. Unfortunately, there are some trying to use the site for things it is not intended.

My gripe is that people need to find a social networking site that caters to their intents, rather than trying to force sites into a purpose the owners never intended.

(I sort of think that's what you're saying???)

Old 09-11-2021, 12:38 PM

10,098 posts, read 4,083,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am on a site called NextDoor. The developers of that site had a particular purpose in mind for THE SITE THEY OWN. Unfortunately, there are some trying to use the site for things it is not intended.

My gripe is that people need to find a social networking site that caters to their intents, rather than trying to force sites into a purpose the owners never intended.

(I sort of think that's what you're saying???)
I'm on Nextdoor. A lot people in my neighborhood are.

It's a good site for keeping close to neighbors.

Indeed a lot of people have allowed their behavior from other places seep into the nature of that site (talking politics, attacking others, etc)

Old 09-11-2021, 02:14 PM

538 posts, read 538,162 times
Why doesn’t FB just create a Politics and Other Controversies section, and let all the crazies rant and rave, while the rest of the users can enjoy FB w/o all the BS?

Old 09-13-2021, 06:36 AM

6,589 posts, read 11,277,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
I'm on Nextdoor. A lot people in my neighborhood are.

It's a good site for keeping close to neighbors.

Indeed a lot of people have allowed their behavior from other places seep into the nature of that site (talking politics, attacking others, etc)
This is been the case in all areas, IMO. That's why a lot of places will also ban you for going off topic (like bringing politics, religion, etc. into a non-politics board).

And this is why most social media - I simply use as a reference and rarely engage in. For me, Facebook, twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. are places I only absorb information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Why doesn’t FB just create a Politics and Other Controversies section, and let all the crazies rant and rave, while the rest of the users can enjoy FB w/o all the BS?
There absolutely are various groups that cater to just about anything you want. But that doesn't mean people won't bring their political, religious, or whatever views to a group about knitting sweaters for cats.

Just as on CD - some conversations may illicit a political or religious response even though it wasn't in the Political or Religion forums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet