Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-13-2021, 07:53 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,708,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
So news on Facebook does have a place but only as a part of a total news environment.
I get the local community stuff. and that's cool.
Mine is full of "What's the new store going in at Center Ridge and Detroit Rd" LOL Or "Anyone hear that loud boom?" Occasionally something worthwhile in there.

I'm more referring to the anti vaccine Dr that says Moderna is killing people and he who posted a video on Facebook that 50 people read and believe as gospel. He then gets deleted and people rage that the truth is being repressed because they believe this guy.... and then you fact check the guy and he's not a Dr...
Taking about that kind of crap. The stuff that Kavalier probably likes to Facebook fight about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2021, 09:35 AM

5,117 posts, read 6,097,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I am on a site called NextDoor. The developers of that site had a particular purpose in mind for THE SITE THEY OWN. Unfortunately, there are some trying to use the site for things it is not intended.

My gripe is that people need to find a social networking site that caters to their intents, rather than trying to force sites into a purpose the owners never intended.

(I sort of think that's what you're saying???)

Well not quite but you bring up a good point. All these sites are paid for by someone. That someone (or company/organization) is paying the bills to keep the site alive and available. So they get to set the rules. In general it is by selling ads or sponsorship. They also get to set the rules about what is or is not posted, etc. facebook (for example) delegates some of this to the 'owner' or creator of a group. I get tired of people who join a group, agree to the rules then complain about the rules. You don't like the rules, start your own group.

I had some issues with NextDoor. They wanted more information than I wanted to give. Hey, their site their rules. Maybe I'll look at it again, I will say that right after I joined it before I started getting a lot of unsolicited mail to that email address. Everything from lawncare to gutter cleaning and environmental causes. and there was a series of pseudo medical ads. I've explained before how I isolate my email so I know when and for what purpose that email address was created. Most of it settled down quickly so maybe someone had spoofed them and they figured it out. That is why I need to try it again if it seems to have good reviews.

Old 09-14-2021, 09:41 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by macroy View Post
This is been the case in all areas, IMO. That's why a lot of places will also ban you for going off topic (like bringing politics, religion, etc. into a non-politics board).

And this is why most social media - I simply use as a reference and rarely engage in. For me, Facebook, twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc. are places I only absorb information.

There absolutely are various groups that cater to just about anything you want. But that doesn't mean people won't bring their political, religious, or whatever views to a group about knitting sweaters for cats.

Just as on CD - some conversations may illicit a political or religious response even though it wasn't in the Political or Religion forums.

After posting on forums now for probably almost half my life, I can see now why politics should be off-limits on some of these platforms. I have seen that sort of stuff ruin and run off many members of forums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
I get the local community stuff. and that's cool.
Mine is full of "What's the new store going in at Center Ridge and Detroit Rd" LOL Or "Anyone hear that loud boom?" Occasionally something worthwhile in there.

I'm more referring to the anti vaccine Dr that says Moderna is killing people and he who posted a video on Facebook that 50 people read and believe as gospel. He then gets deleted and people rage that the truth is being repressed because they believe this guy.... and then you fact check the guy and he's not a Dr...
Taking about that kind of crap. The stuff that Kavalier probably likes to Facebook fight about.
Okay. Whatever.

Bottom line for me: 2nd Amendment. As far as I know, we still live in a free country (though it really isn't, is it?)

Old 09-14-2021, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavalier View Post
Okay. Whatever.
Am I wrong?

You don't believe Covid is a big deal, you have an immune system, the vaccine is actually killing people, the vaccinated actually get Covid just as much as the unvaccinated, the government is lying to us to control us.... Did I miss any?
Oh, and Trump won, but it was rigged.
That about the gist of your 'controversial opinion'?
Not really all that controversial when 40% believe all that, too.

Old 09-14-2021, 02:17 PM

5,869 posts, read 11,932,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuzzant View Post
Why doesn’t FB just create a Politics and Other Controversies section, and let all the crazies rant and rave, while the rest of the users can enjoy FB w/o all the BS?
I have a couple of family members who post obnoxious stuff (usually political) that I don’t care to see. I just use the three dots on the top right to hide all of that content. It took some work at first but now I see a lot less of it in my news feed. If it’s a “friend” or acquaintance posting that crap, I just hide them or unfollow them.

Old 09-15-2021, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlady View Post
I have a couple of family members who post obnoxious stuff (usually political) that I don’t care to see. I just use the three dots on the top right to hide all of that content. It took some work at first but now I see a lot less of it in my news feed. If it’s a “friend” or acquaintance posting that crap, I just hide them or unfollow them.
Same. Some people love to complain that all they see on FB is crap... you have a lot of control over what you see on FB. It's not really rocket science.

Old 09-15-2021, 10:43 AM

10,098 posts, read 4,091,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Am I wrong?

You don't believe Covid is a big deal, you have an immune system, the vaccine is actually killing people, the vaccinated actually get Covid just as much as the unvaccinated, the government is lying to us to control us.... Did I miss any?
Oh, and Trump won, but it was rigged.

That about the gist of your 'controversial opinion'?
Not really all that controversial when 40% believe all that, too.
You're right, I do believe all of that. Correct.

I pick and choose what sources to follow on there - but indeed I follow many sources that go against my beliefs on FB. Just a sort of "keep your friends close, enemies closer" sort of thing, you know? I feel it's my good duty to pay attention to the lies that the typical MSM liars spew about, just so I know what they're up to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet