Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2023, 05:51 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Does anyone remember how to shut off "notifications" because I believe those "sign ups" are using that feature, and I recall at least one browser I used, in the past, had a way to disable them on each site. (A "don't ask me again" option.)
On Waterfox: Tools|Settings|Privacy & Security|Notifications|Settings|Block new requests to allow notifications.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2023, 10:21 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,613,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
On Waterfox: Tools|Settings|Privacy & Security|Notifications|Settings|Block new requests to allow notifications.
OK, there is an identical setting in Safari. I had not enabled it before as I did not think of these full screen pop ups as "notifications".

So I now have it enabled, and time willl tell if it "does the job".

Stay tuned.........

Old 12-04-2023, 01:35 PM

Well, it took awhile, but I just now got a Full-Screen pop up from CNN wanting me to signup for their emailed newsletter.

So I am still hoping there is a blocker out there somewhere.

Next I may have to try some of Cloudy Dayz's suggestions.

Old 12-06-2023, 06:31 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
Well, it took awhile, but I just now got a Full-Screen pop up from CNN wanting me to signup for their emailed newsletter.

So I am still hoping there is a blocker out there somewhere.

Next I may have to try some of Cloudy Dayz's suggestions.
I don't actually read these pop-ups. I avert my eyes while closing them. The real solution would be to change the HTML 5 standards so that these types of pop-ups are no longer supported. But good luck with getting that to happen.

Old 12-06-2023, 09:17 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I don't actually read these pop-ups. I avert my eyes while closing them. The real solution would be to change the HTML 5 standards so that these types of pop-ups are no longer supported. But good luck with getting that to happen.
The HTML 5 standard was written specifically to make it harder to stop this nonsense, from what I can tell.

Old 12-08-2023, 11:02 AM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
Quote:
Thanks for the leads.

I was hoping there was a blocker that would work like Ad Block or uBlock, but apparently not given these popups are driven by Javascript, which apparently is an all or nothing situation.

Do I understand that uMatrix allows a "whitelist" of sites that enable JS, while all othersites are JS disabled ? So I'd have to whitelist 100's of sites in order to stop a few popups ?
With uMatrix, there is a global scope which determines which rules to apply to all sites by default. If you encounter a site which absolutely must run javascript for some reason, then you can toggle javascript for that domain in the matrix grid drop down to temporarily allow it. Or make the rule permanent for that one site by selecting the lock icon, in case you plan to visit that site regularly.

Javascript is not "all or nothing" under uMatrix, unlike with inferior blockers. It is possible to selectively allow script only from certain domains. The first party domain is generally the only one you should ever find need to allow.

If you wish to operate with even finer granularity, there are addons which enable one to iterate over a site's various scripts and enable/disable *.js files on a script-by-script basis. Send me a DM if you have any interest in knowing more about these.

Old 01-08-2024, 10:41 PM

977 posts, read 517,163 times
The Brave browser offers the most effective pop up blockers. I've been using their browser for years, all I see on the sides of web pages is blank space. Some of the pop ups have been getting better at sneaking through most web browsers. There are a lot of privacy things you can do in Brave's settings, and you can add additional ad and pop up blockers. If you want to get past the firewalls that won't let you read their web pages w/o a subscription, I use Postlight Reader and uBlock on my Brave browser.

Old 01-11-2024, 01:54 PM

This is the type of "pop-up" I would like to block. As usual it is from the website itself wanting you to signup for a newsletter. (I suspect they really just want to harvest your email address.)

It is not an ad for a product or service type ad. My AdBlock app does a good job on those.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a "blocker" that will stop these Full Screen popups ?-popup.jpg  

Old 01-11-2024, 07:59 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,439,396 times
Quote:
This is the type of "pop-up" I would like to block. As usual it is from the website itself wanting you to signup for a newsletter. (I suspect they really just want to harvest your email address.)

It is not an ad for a product or service type ad. My AdBlock app does a good job on those.
Are you getting this on the main page of WYFF4.com?

If yes, I didn't get any such pop-ups and I am only using uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger externsions with Brave.
If something else, please provide the details.

Old 01-11-2024, 08:30 PM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Are you getting this on the main page of WYFF4.com?

If yes, I didn't get any such pop-ups and I am only using uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger externsions with Brave.
If something else, please provide the details.
He mentions CNN earlier in the thread, so I went ahead and deconstructed the site a bit. chartbeat and optimizely domains try to serve scripts. One is "landingprod.js" and the other "chartbeat_mab.js" which appears to gather visitor attention information for real-time bidding.

Quote:
The strategy itself is not user cacheable, because the play percentages for each variant in each test are frequently changing as we receive data and converge on a winner for each test.
There's probably a ton of knock-on scripts that only get loaded in if these initial scripts are allowed to run. But I'm not about to go defiling my browser by allowing the execution of js meant for the cattle for the sake of hunting down the source of a popover for some guy on the internet lol

Quote:
My AdBlock app does a good job on those.
Using uMatrix, I allowed only for the base HTML document, static images and their one stylesheet to load. The site is perfectly functional for reading news with only these three things... and no popovers or ads in sight (Well, that's if you don't consider the articles themselves to be ads... but that conversation is for another time).

The cells in green are the allowed assets. Red/pink cells are all being blocked. I know I sound like a broken record, but please dip your toes into uMatrix. It's so damn effective and intuitive.
Attached Thumbnails
Is there a "blocker" that will stop these Full Screen popups ?-cnn.png  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet