Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 11:21 AM

7,514 posts, read 13,608,655 times

Advertisements

By Full Screen, I mean these popups that appear , mostly from news stes wanting you to sign up for their newsletters on various topics.

Only buttons on screen are "Sign Up" or "No Thanks"

They generally appear some seconds after you start reading a news item, then interrupts your reading to click on No Thanks.

There is no "Stop sending these" choice.

They are not "commercial ads", which my AdBlock does a fair job of blocking those kind of ads.

FWIW, using Safari on OS X on Mac with "Stop PopUps" selected in preferences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 12:33 PM

76 posts, read 49,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
By Full Screen, I mean these popups that appear , mostly from news stes wanting you to sign up for their newsletters on various topics.

Only buttons on screen are "Sign Up" or "No Thanks"

They generally appear some seconds after you start reading a news item, then interrupts your reading to click on No Thanks.

They are not "commercial ads", which my AdBlock does a fair job of blocking those kind of ads.

FWIW, using Safari on OS X on Mac with "Stop PopUps" selected in preferences.
It is rather simple actually. Use a text browser. In general they are blazingly fast and light on resources

Lynx, Elinks, W3M, Browsh are text browsers that run on Macs. Note there are other text browsers for Macs available, I listed ones I used, albeit on Linux. One that is Mac only(hence I never used it) is Lynxlet, Lynx for Mac OS X. But there are others.

Alternately you can also add in the text-extension for Chrome, Text mode Chrome extension, or the Textise extension for Firefox (be aware Textise is a memory pig).

There also is a web application called Text Browser which can double as a proxy server.

Last edited by PossumMan; 11-26-2023 at 12:45 PM..

Old 11-26-2023, 01:01 PM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Quote:
Analogy time!

An assailant is beating you. He gives you the option whether you prefer he beats you with his right hand or his left.

Many such pop over ads are possible because they're implemented in javascript. Block javascript, and you block those pop ups/pop overs.

Hence why PossumMan's recommendation for textual browsers is a decent option. They don't interpret javascript.

While it is possible to just disable javascript in browser settings, this is a headache since all script is either 100% blocked or 100% allowed.

You will have a much better time using a tool like uMatrix to selectively allow scripts only on pages which you find need their supplied interactivity.

Old 11-28-2023, 06:23 AM

4,139 posts, read 3,044,203 times
I have a JavaScript button on my Waterfox Menu bar. There are many sites I browse with JavaScript turned off because of the sites' boorish behavior. Some sites will not function properly without JavaScript, however.

Old 11-30-2023, 12:01 PM

Thanks for the leads.

I was hoping there was a blocker that would work like Ad Block or uBlock, but apparently not given these popups are driven by Javascript, which apparently is an all or nothing situation.

Do I understand that uMatrix allows a "whitelist" of sites that enable JS, while all othersites are JS disabled ? So I'd have to whitelist 100's of sites in order to stop a few popups ?

Is there not a blocker (or Safari extension) that can "blacklist" the offending sites ?

Old 11-30-2023, 07:55 PM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Thanks for the leads.

I was hoping there was a blocker that would work like Ad Block or uBlock, but apparently not given these popups are driven by Javascript, which apparently is an all or nothing situation.

Do I understand that uMatrix allows a "whitelist" of sites that enable JS, while all othersites are JS disabled ? So I'd have to whitelist 100's of sites in order to stop a few popups ?

Is there not a blocker (or Safari extension) that can "blacklist" the offending sites ?
Safari: Preferences, then click Websites.
Click Pop-up Windows.
Block pop-up windows for

Old 11-30-2023, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
Safari: Preferences, then click Websites.
Click Pop-up Windows.
Block pop-up windows for
Yes, I have that set to "Block when visiting other web sites" except three favorites that won't work with ads blocked..

The popups I'm trying to block are the "full screen" type that mostly are from news sites wanting you to sign up for their newsletter, not for random products and services, as explained in my first post.

Old 12-01-2023, 06:05 AM

15,416 posts, read 9,049,675 times
Quote:
Yes, I have that set to "Block when visiting other web sites" except three favorites that won't work with ads blocked..

The popups I'm trying to block are the "full screen" type that mostly are from news sites wanting you to sign up for their newsletter, not for random products and services, as explained in my first post.
I use Reader View, Poper Blocker, Nuke Anything, and Stop Loading Already in Chrome, and can read pretty much any news site. If the site has all those plugins covered, oh well, I just move on to another site.

Old 12-01-2023, 08:07 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Sounds like an avoidable game of whack-a-mole

Old 12-02-2023, 12:01 PM

8,923 posts, read 4,632,086 times
Does anyone remember how to shut off "notifications" because I believe those "sign ups" are using that feature, and I recall at least one browser I used, in the past, had a way to disable them on each site. (A "don't ask me again" option.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Internet